WI: Rhodesia fights to the bitter end

On March 3, 1978, Prime Minister Ian Smith of the Republic of Rhodesia signed the Internal Settlement, which paved the way for majority rule in Rhodesia, which was then renamed "Zimbabwe Rhodesia" to represent both the white and black people of the country. The international community wasn't satisfied, so on December 21, 1979, the Lancaster House Agreement was signed and the country was renamed "Zimbabwe".

What would happen if Rhodesia had refused any kind of settlement , and decided to fight on to the bitter end, even if it cost them everything? (See the video below for an example of what I mean by "fight to the bitter end")

How long could they have lasted?

On March 3, 1978, Prime Minister Ian Smith of the Republic of Rhodesia signed the Internal Settlement, which paved the way for majority rule in Rhodesia, which was then renamed "Zimbabwe Rhodesia" to represent both the white and black people of the country. The international community wasn't satisfied, so on December 21, 1979, the Lancaster House Agreement was signed and the country was renamed "Zimbabwe".

What would happen if Rhodesia had refused any kind of settlement , and decided to fight on to the bitter end, even if it cost them everything? (See the video below for an example of what I mean by "fight to the bitter end")

How long could they have lasted?

They would have lost by the early 1980s. The tide was turning even in 1979; it’s a commonly repeated saying that Rhodesia, like the U.S. in Vietnam, never lost a battle, but that wasn’t true right at the very end. Operation Uric was a battlefield defeat for them; they failed to achieve their objective of destroying the Mapai Camp, took unsustainable losses, and had to pull back. There are other examples. Within a couple of years, the numbers and equipment of the PF coupled with battlefield losses of both men and equipment (one Canberra bomber of the RhAF was flyable by the end of the war) and white emigration would have resulted in their military defeat.

By the last couple years of the war, the Rhodesian Security Forces were producing classified memos saying Salisbury could fall. They were lucky it ended when it did.

I'm not an expert on the Rhodesian Bush War, but I fear the consequences might be a Zimbabwe or equivalent in an even worse state than our Zimbabwe.

How much is RSA supporting them ? Can they retreat into SA and become raiders themselves ? Launching attacks from SA and neighboring Botswana

If the white militias have nothing to lose can they just take over Botswana ?

That video has nothing to do with what you posted and it's also from a musical.
I posted it to demonstrate what I mean by "fighting to the bitter end" and also because I love Les Mis. (see my username for proof)
They would have lost by the early 1980s. The tide was turning even in 1979; it’s a commonly repeated saying that Rhodesia, like the U.S. in Vietnam, never lost a battle, but that wasn’t true right at the very end. Operation Uric was a battlefield defeat for them; they failed to achieve their objective of destroying the Mapai Camp, took unsustainable losses, and had to pull back. There are other examples. Within a couple of years, the numbers and equipment of the PF coupled with battlefield losses of both men and equipment (one Canberra bomber of the RhAF was flyable by the end of the war) and white emigration would have resulted in their military defeat.

By the last couple years of the war, the Rhodesian Security Forces were producing classified memos saying Salisbury could fall. They were lucky it ended when it did.
Would the white Rhodesian minority have wound up with an even less favorable settlement than the Lancaster House Agreement? (though it's hard to see how a less favorable settlement could have been created, given what happened to the whites who stayed in Rhodesia when it was renamed)
I'm not an expert on the Rhodesian Bush War, but I fear the consequences might be a Zimbabwe or equivalent in an even worse state than our Zimbabwe.
Or the consequences could be that Rhodesians live in big cities that are essentially huge fortresses, and the countryside is essentially impassible because of guerilla/terrorist activity, but then Rhodesia would be unable to import food, and would probably collapse.
How much is RSA supporting them ? Can they retreat into SA and become raiders themselves ? Launching attacks from SA and neighboring Botswana

If the white militias have nothing to lose can they just take over Botswana ?
They could then create "Brodesia" (kinda like Brangelina). Now that I think about it, "Brodesia" sounds like some country that teenage boys would make.
Rhodesia would probably collapse by the mid-1980s.
You don't think that the Rhodesian Army would be able to maintain control of Salisbury at the very least?
It would be "fun" to do a musical about Rhodesia.
There's already dozens of Rhodesian songs ("Rhodesians Never Die", "The U.D.I. Song" and "Sweet Banana" are probably the most famous), you wouldn't even have to write new songs for a Rhodesia-themed musical, you could just make a jukebox musical like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movin'_Out_(musical)

I posted it to demonstrate what I mean by "fighting to the bitter end" and also because I love Les Mis. (see my username for proof)

Would the white Rhodesian minority have wound up with an even less favorable settlement than the Lancaster House Agreement? (though it's hard to see how a less favorable settlement could have been created, given what happened to the whites who stayed in Rhodesia when it was renamed)

Or the consequences could be that Rhodesians live in big cities that are essentially huge fortresses, and the countryside is essentially impassible because of guerilla/terrorist activity, but then Rhodesia would be unable to import food, and would probably collapse.

They could then create "Brodesia" (kinda like Brangelina). Now that I think about it, "Brodesia" sounds like some country that teenage boys would make.

You don't think that the Rhodesian Army would be able to maintain control of Salisbury at the very least?

There's already dozens of Rhodesian songs ("Rhodesians Never Die", "The U.D.I. Song" and "Sweet Banana" are probably the most famous), you wouldn't even have to write new songs for a Rhodesia-themed musical, you could just make a jukebox musical like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movin'_Out_(musical)
Can Botswana stop such an invasion? Who will come to their aid ?

One of the common themes of any account of the Bush War i've read is the absolutely dire state of Rhodesian manpower by the late 70s, due to emigration and increased demand. In other words, they had to operate at an increasing tempo with less men. They were also heavily reliant on territorial / reserve soldiers and these men also have jobs/businesses/lives.

The more men spend time on fighting, the less time they have to work and so that hits the economy and the government's ability to fund operations or buy in military supplies on the black market too.

At some point in the early 1980s South Africa is going intervene and evacuate the remaining White Population.
Zimbabwe may or may not fall into civil war between ZAPU and ZANU.

I'd say it'd be much better off. Victory for the liberation forces in the field would lead to speedy redress of the land issue, which would be handled in a much more conducive environment than in our time line - and even in our timeline, it's results haven't been all bad (look up Ian Scoones' work on the long-term outcomes of the land reform for the new class of small and medium black farmers).

One of the common themes of any account of the Bush War i've read is the absolutely dire state of Rhodesian manpower by the late 70s, due to emigration and increased demand. In other words, they had to operate at an increasing tempo with less men. They were also heavily reliant on territorial / reserve soldiers and these men also have jobs/businesses/lives.

The more men spend time on fighting, the less time they have to work and so that hits the economy and the government's ability to fund operations or buy in military supplies on the black market too.
It's true, isn't it, that only about half the white males eligible for conscription actually turned up when called up?