WI: Prince Vladimir of the Kievan 'Rus converts to Islam?

I don't know why he would, but the consequences would be very interesting. What would the repercussions be?

He's burned at the stake? Or possibly strangled? No way he converts without a large and wealthy portion of the population already being Muslim.

Also, his decision to convert to Christianity looks like it was based upon: an envoy's visit to Constantinople in which the city was described as heaven on earth, the overall conditions of some Bulgar Muslims (sadness, sanitary conditions) as well as them not consuming pork or alcohol, and the view that the Jews were abandoned by God because of the loss of Jerusalem. I'll have to agree with Escape Zeppelin on his thought that the population would have to be more Muslim than it was at the time.

On Islam and alcohol: The popular drink in Kievan Rus' was mead, with a fairly mild alcoholic content. (Wine was for the aristocrats only.) I suppose it might have been possible for Islamic authorities to tolerate mead--as they did kumiss, the fermented mare's milk which was the favorite drink of Turkic nomads. "Though the Koran prohibits wine — and the Kazak are faithful Muslims — the nomads at Timurlik said the Koran spoke only of wine, and so it was all right to enjoy kumiss." http://books.google.com/books?id=dXf1UJg-x20C&pg=PA148

In any event, entertaining as the "joy of the Rus" account in the Primary Chronicles may be, http://novaonline.nvcc.edu/eli/evans/his101/documents/chronicle.html [1] the real reason Vladimir decided on Orthodox Christianity was political. In 987 Vladimir put down a rebellion against the co-emperors of Byzantium, and demanded the hand of their sister Anna in return. They replied that they would agree only if Vladimir converted to Christianity. (Even after he converted, though, they tried to put the marriage off. Only the Rus' seizure of the Byzantine-held Crimean city of Cherson finally put an end to the Byzantines' stalling.) IMO, given the influence of Byzantium and given the fact that Orthodox Christianity had existed among the Rus' even before Vladimir's conversion, Orthodoxy was always most likely to be the religion the Rus' would choose after abandoning paganism.

[1] "Vladimir was visited by Bulgars of Muslim faith, who said, "Though you are a wise and prudent prince, you have no religion. Adopt our faith and revere Mahomet." Vladimir inquired about the nature of their religion. They replied that they believed in God, and that Mahomet instructed them to practice circumcision, to eat no pork, to drink no wine and, after death, promised them complete fulfillment of their carnal desires. "Mahomet," they claimed, "will give each man seventy fair women. He may choose one fair one, and upon that woman Mahomet will confer the charms of them all, and she shall be his wife. Mahomet then promises that one may then satisfy every desire, but whoever is poor in this world will be no different in the next." They also spoke other false things which out of modesty may not be written down. Vladimir listened to them, for he was fond of women and indulgence, regarding what he heard with pleasure, but circumcision and abstinence from pork and wine were disagreeable to him. "Drinking," he said, " is the joy of the Rus. We cannot exist without that pleasure."" I would really like to learn what those "other false things which out of modesty may not be written down" were...

As far as the consumption of alcohol is concerned I think that it would be a matter of interpretation. I am not sure of the Bulgars' stance on it but there are some practitioners of Islam that state that all types of alcohol are forbidden. IIRC, two examples of those that believe that are the Zaidi and Mutazili sects. However, the Alevi people do not forbid its consumption.

Last edited:
As far as the consumption of alcohol is concerned I think that it would be a matter of interpretation. I am not sure of the Bulgars' stance on it but there are some practitioners of Islam that state that all types of alcohol are forbidden. IIRC, two examples of those that believe that are the Zaidi and Mutazili sects. However, the Alevi people do not forbid its consumption.
Mutazila are extinct and although the Zaidi are Shia, They are so close to Sunni that practically are.
Anyway all the sects of Islam agree that all intoxicants are illegal.
This is the doctrine although individuals can make their own interpretation.
Hence the fermented mares milk.

The Alevi are probably the native population that pre-dated Christianity and Islam.
They adopted allot of Christian practice's, along with some Muslim.
They were probably crypto Christians before Islam and put on a veneer of shiasm to hide under.

But since its a secretive religion no one really knows.

Last edited: