WI: President Buchanan Dies on December 21st, 1860?

What if President Buchanan drops dead on November 21, 1860, the day after South Carolina seceded? This is before he had a chance to replace cabinet fireaters with Unionists, or even oppose secession himself. What would happen if Breckenridge became the lame-duck President of the United States?

Last edited:

Anaxagoras

Banned
Breckinridge was an anti-secessionist and a moderate on slavery, a disciple of Henry Clay rather than John Calhoun. He also was a personal friend of Abraham Lincoln. My guess is that he would have immediately asked Lincoln to come to Washington and tried to hash out some sort of arrangement to keep the rest of the South from seceding and bringing South Carolina to its senses. I doubt he would have been successful, but I know that Breckinridge would have given everything he could to try to salvage the Union and peace.

Breckinridge was an anti-secessionist and a moderate on slavery, a disciple of Henry Clay rather than John Calhoun. He also was a personal friend of Abraham Lincoln. My guess is that he would have immediately asked Lincoln to come to Washington and tried to hash out some sort of arrangement to keep the rest of the South from seceding and bringing South Carolina to its senses. I doubt he would have been successful, but I know that Breckinridge would have given everything he could to try to salvage the Union and peace.

It's kind of funny. A Southerner of action would probably have done more to save the Union than a doughface without a spine.

Last edited:

Bullshit, Breckinridge was a traitor through and through, he would've done about as much as Buchie did.

South Carolina seceded on December 20. The electoral college hadn't even voted yet on November 21.

TinyTartar

Banned
Bullshit, Breckinridge was a traitor through and through, he would've done about as much as Buchie did.

Keep in mind that many who later went for the Confederates did not make the decision until after Fort Sumter, and Breckenridge seemed ambivalent until after the call for volunteers, in which his pro-Southern leanings started coming out more and more.

If it was just South Carolina seceding at the time, he might have tried to come up with a compromise. He repeatedly called for a peaceful reunion of states in 1861 before making the decision that he wanted peace at all costs, secession or not.