WI Paul Robeson was not a tankie

Suppose the USSR did not exist , or maybe Robeson broke with the Communists over the Hitler pact.

It does seem to me that he was an incredibly impressive person who's views on pretty well everything except Stalin and the Soviet Union were sound and intelligent

Could he have been significant in a stronger earlier Civil Rights movement?

I’m not usually one for defending people who refuse to condemn the USSR, but I do think Robeson deserves a break in the context of being called a tankie. First of all, the United States government insisting that an actor give expert, binding testimony on the criminal actions of a foreign regime is...just dumb. If it had been a court of law (at least my crappy understanding of the law fromTV) it would be beyond the scope.

My understanding (and correct me if I’m off-base) is that his general response when asked about the Soviet Union was to center American racism in the conversation. Now, clearly this smacks of “whataboutism” on the surface. I would propose, though, that there is a transformative difference between an African American anti-racism crusader re-centering a debate to the topic of American racism, and, say, an actual representative of a repressive government deflecting criticism of their own human rights abuses by saying “no ones hands are clean therefore we are exempt from criticism.”

As for the other line I’ve heard from Robeson, “I’ve never experienced color prejudice in the Soviet Union,” that is an unfortunate failing on his part to extend empathy and see past his own fame and privilege to connect with the suffering of others. But again, it is the personal failing of an actor, a human, and (at most) a public voice. It makes him a flawed voice for freedom but I don’t know if it makes him a tankie.

The important question for me in your post is, “how do we get Robeson to play a bigger role in civil rights?” I take it your thesis is that he needs to denounce the Soviets. I don’t think that’s enough? He would still be far to the left of the SCLC or even SNCC. And an entertainer, to boot. Entertainers were very present, but very much not centered on purpose by the movement at-large. I would say he might be a little more central than someone like Harry Belafonte?

Could he have been a part of a more leftist push? Was there a group of lefties that was just about one Robeson-shaped hole away from relevance IOTL? I’m not aware of one but would love to hear a counterpoint, that would be exciting to learn.

To be fair to Paul Robeson, the never experienced a colour bar / prejudice in the Soviet Union is not something to criticise him on. Even the fucking Nazis were dropping propaganda on black US troops stating that there was no colour bar on blacks attending the church of their choice in Nazi Germany, unlike back in the USA.

To be fair to Paul Robeson, the never experienced a colour bar / prejudice in the Soviet Union is not something to criticise him on. Even the fucking Nazis were dropping propaganda on black US troops stating that there was no colour bar on blacks attending the church of their choice in Nazi Germany, unlike back in the USA.

I mean I think it’s fair to criticize him, putting on blinders like that is a reasonable criticism. I don’t think the argument’s flaws invalidates his purpose in highlighting the difference in treatment, and I don’t think it makes him a tankie.