WI: Osama bin-Laden Killed in 2008

I was exploring the idea of if Osama bin-Laden would have been killed sometime in 2008 and whether it would be enough to swing the election in John McCain's favor. Could it pan attention away from the recession? Would bin-Laden's death overall help or hurt John McCain and George W. Bush's legacy?

I was exploring the idea of if Osama bin-Laden would have been killed sometime in 2008 and whether it would be enough to swing the election in John McCain's favor. Could it pan attention away from the recession? Would bin-Laden's death overall help or hurt John McCain and George W. Bush's legacy?

The economy would still crash and McCain would still lose the election. If anything, this may prompt people to call for a withdrawal from Afghanistan.

I don't think Romney was as strong enough candidate to defeat Obama even without the latter being able to ride USSOCOM's success in removing Bin Laden.
Even with bin laden answer for any fault Obama's states decreased. Nobody considered Trump a winnable candidate unlike Romney who was considered winnable.