Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you say Beagle War you are not talking about my two dogs getting into a fight?

Alright, I'm pretty sure you're joking, but I think I might as well explain anyway for the benefit of other people who might see this thread and not know what I'm talking about.

The Beagle Conflict was a border dispute between Argentina and Chile over the possession of three islands in the Beagle Channel. In 1977, a Court of Arbitration determined that the islands were Chilean territory. Argentina's government rejected the court's ruling, which led both countries to the verge of war. An Argentine invasion of Chile was planned, and it started on December 22, 1978, only to stop a few hours later when Pope John Paul II offered to mediate the conflict. This thread's scenario is that the invasion proceeds and starts a war.

Alright, I'm pretty sure you're joking, but I think I might as well explain anyway for the benefit of other people who might see this thread and not know what I'm talking about.

The Beagle Conflict was a border dispute between Argentina and Chile over the possession of three islands in the Beagle Channel. In 1977, a Court of Arbitration determined that the islands were Chilean territory. Argentina's government rejected the court's ruling, which led both countries to the verge of war. An Argentine invasion of Chile was planned, and it started on December 22, 1978, only to stop a few hours later when Pope John Paul II offered to mediate the conflict. This thread's scenario is that the invasion proceeds and starts a war.

Yes I was joking but thanks for the overall explanation. I knew some of the basics but not a lot of the details. Not sure who would win but it sounds like it would have been ugly. Does this make the 1982 Falklands conflict more or less likely? I can see arguments either way.

Which side had the Superior navy?
Argentina, which also had superior armed forces in all three services, at least on paper. At that point, Chile's armed forces had been hurt quite a bit by American sanctions and Argentina's not so much.

Yes I was joking but thanks for the overall explanation. I knew some of the basics but not a lot of the details. Not sure who would win but it sounds like it would have been ugly. Does this make the 1982 Falklands conflict more or less likely? I can see arguments either way.
Far less likely. Even if no other countries get involved (let's say Peru and Bolivia see weakness in Chile and decide to join) it would have been a bloodbath. Whatever the outcome, Argentina wouldn't emerge in any shape to start any other war in the near future.

Far less likely. Even if no other countries get involved (let's say Peru and Bolivia see weakness in Chile and decide to join) it would have been a bloodbath. Whatever the outcome, Argentina wouldn't emerge in any shape to start any other war in the near future.
I doubt Bolivia or Peru will join as this war will likely be localized around the beagle straits with the winner being whoever can gain Naval and Air dominance

Which side had the Superior navy?
Well depends, Argentina have an aircraft Carrier, but don't really have a Good combined Fleet compositión, they lacked Light and scout ships, The Chilean Navy was smaller but better balanced and longer naval tradition.
plus the Aegemtineans Will have to invade an entreched Chilean Army that was operating With shorter supply línes and closer to their logística supply points.
The Argentina Junta have a shaker control of the country than The Chilean one, The saber rattle was doing by Argentina as a way to augment The Junta's popularity.

Overall we Will see a long conflict that Argentina should win, but Could not because of The impopular of the conflict and The shakier standing of the Junta, Argentina need a short Victorious war, Chile Is ready, and aim, to figth a long draged conflict

Why do you say that?
Because those were The war plans create by The Argentina Military, their aim was to Cross The Andes, easier Said than done, and cut The Chilean country, and logístic Train, in several points so they could bring their superior numbers over The smaller Chilean military, and defeat them in detail.
As example Chilean Capital, Santiago, Is barely 150 kilómeters ( two to three hour-ish) to The principal andes pass, Los Libertadores. Chile lacks strategical deep, and Argentina's military aim was exploit that weakness

Because those were The war plans create by The Argentina Military, their aim was to Cross The Andes, easier Said than done, and cut The Chilean country, and logístic Train, in several points so they could bring their superior numbers over The smaller Chilean military, and defeat them in detail.
If those plans fails they might op to go on the defensive in the Andes and focus all their effort south.

If those plans fails they might op to go on the defensive in the Andes and focus all their effort south.
Yeah sure, but they have to fail first and the Argentinean army was prepared to carry those plans in case of war. So The most probable path of actions by Argentina in case of war Is Try to forcé The Andes in several pass and to cut The Magellan strait With their Navy

Yeah sure, but they have to fail first and the Argentinean army was prepared to carry those plans in case of war. So The most probable path of actions by Argentina in case of war Is Try to forcé The Andes in several pass and to cut The Magellan strait With their Navy

I'm not sure that would go very well. Trying to attack an enemy position in mountainous terrain is notoriously difficult, and while the Chilean Army was smaller and probably less well-equipped than its Argentine counterpart, it was also more professional.

I'm not sure that would go very well. Trying to attack an enemy position in mountainous terrain is notoriously difficult, and while the Chilean Army was smaller and probably less well-equipped than its Argentine counterpart, it was also more professional.
Yeah, but no one ever accused The Argentinean Army to be competent

Warning
I found this on the net...seems like a mashup of stories, and very similar to one that has been deleted in this forum by his owner long time ago..."fuego en el magallanes" . It's in spanish...

Last edited:
Overall we Will see a long conflict that Argentina should win, but Could not because of The impopular of the conflict and The shakier standing of the Junta, Argentina need a short Victorious war, Chile Is ready, and aim, to figth a long draged conflict
While, I agree with you about that given that both armies had been preparing/training/Wargaming for this kind of conflict... It, surely would have had been a long and bloody war for both Armies/Nations. Specially for the Argentinian army, which 'd have to face, a ready and entrenched enemy that 'd be defending to blood and fire their Fatherland...
But, on the other hand, I think that (as the Falklands/Malvinas war showed) you could underestimate the power of a totally controlled Mass Media. Also, from the more than foreseeable use in a publicity campaign, (as IOTL) of celebrities, TV hosts and journalists (many of them subservient) with the Military government... Also, I think that 'd be probably their utilization for creating and stimulate a widespread Nationalist/Patriotic fervor (or in this case, I'd say, chauvinistic one) against the enemy (Chileans) while presenting the conflict as a Just one... Then, I'd say that it could become, at least initially, in a rather popular war...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.