WI One of the hijackers exposes 9/11 plot

From Wikipedia:

In mid July 2001, some of the hijackers and members of the Hamburg cell gathered near Salou, Spain, for a period of a few days up to a couple of weeks. There seemed to be tension between Jarrah and Atta about the plot in its late stages. Atta had complained to Binalshibh about his difficulty in getting through to Jarrah and his fear that Jarrah might withdraw from the plot completely.

So what if Jarrah was actually reticent and not only withdrew from the plot but attempted to turn in his compatriots, could it still have been prevented reasonably or would he have been ignored?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I'm sure the FBI gets all kinds of people coming to them with various kooksville delusions. Jarrah would have to have had some stuff they could've checked out.

Overall, I'd give it about 50-50.

I'd love for it to work out, :) and I compliment you on coming up with a realistic way to prevent Sept. 11th.

King Thomas

Banned
They might not believe him and then when 9/11 happens he gets blamed and sentenced to death.
Or they might believe him, go after the other hijackers and put him in Witsec for his own safety.

Archibald

Banned
There was also that 20th terrorist, the French one that was caught too late and is still locked in a prison somewhere (with the Unabomber).

I'm sure the FBI gets all kinds of people coming to them with various kooksville delusions. Jarrah would have to have had some stuff they could've checked out.

Overall, I'd give it about 50-50.

I'd love for it to work out, :) and I compliment you on coming up with a realistic way to prevent Sept. 11th.

So say it wasn't prevented despite Jarrah turning informant. He survives, is prosecuted. Then the memo warning about Al-Qaeda attacks in the US comes out. What would the general reaction be?

Conspiracy law would convict him of plotting but if he turned state's evidence before the incident happened then he's only responsible for what happened before, not after.

Conspiracy law would convict him of plotting but if he turned state's evidence before the incident happened then he's only responsible for what happened before, not after.

If he actually did this it's impossible for me to imagine they would try him. The FBI *wants* terrorists to inform for them. If they prosecute Jarrah, they send the message that anybody who comes to them will be sending the message that anybody who comes to them can expect to be arrested and to do decades of hard time in a federal lockup. They aren't going to do that. He'll be put in Witness Protection and granted immunity for what he did.

If he actually did this it's impossible for me to imagine they would try him. The FBI *wants* terrorists to inform for them. If they prosecute Jarrah, they send the message that anybody who comes to them will be sending the message that anybody who comes to them can expect to be arrested and to do decades of hard time in a federal lockup. They aren't going to do that. He'll be put in Witness Protection and granted immunity for what he did.

Yep, all the way.