WI Old Testament includes a book by a female prophet

I see no reason to think that women would not be able to prophesy as well as men. What would have happened if a woman had traveled ancient Israel prophesying like the men and had a book written about her exploits? Assume that she is able to perform the same feats as the prophets in canon and her word is accepted as the word of God.

I see no reason to think that women would not be able to prophesy as well as men. What would have happened if a woman had traveled ancient Israel prophesying like the men and had a book written about her exploits? Assume that she is able to perform the same feats as the prophets in canon and her word is accepted as the word of God.
When you say "traveling" do you mean time/travelling/ASB, or from other culture or nation apart of the jew?

And in both options, depending of the influency of the book in other people and judaism believers, the book could be censored by the papacy in future eras or not.

For all we know that could taken as that one specific woman being equal to a man, But the church would just say not all woman are equal to man except for the prophetess or something like that.

For all we know that could taken as that one specific woman being equal to a man, But the church would just say not all woman are equal to man except for the prophetess or something like that.
I doubt that the catholic Pope would allow a woman being equal to a man, so yeah.

"That crazy thot'? Menopause is really powerful in other people ya' know?"

I doubt that the catholic Pope would allow a woman being equal to a man, so yeah.
Wouldn't this significant a change change - well, a whole bunch of things related to "Catholic pope", like that there might not even be one in the first place?

It probably depends on the prophet in question for specifics, but it's not like this is not going to make any impact on Judaism or Christianity.

"That crazy thot'? Menopause is really powerful in other people ya' know?"
Who knows Mary is considered to be a pretty big deal in Catholicism at least. So they clearly don't have any problem with woman being important though I could see her role being expanded or conversely downplayed in other sects.

Are you meaning by or about a woman? If she does not strictly have to be a prophetess then you have Ester who has an entire book, and Hannah who had several chapters of either first or second Samuel I believe devoted to her story. But there is also mention of several women serving as prophets in the bible, you just need an account of their exploits to have been recorded in a big way.

Are you meaning by or about a woman? If she does not strictly have to be a prophetess then you have Ester who has an entire book, and Hannah who had several chapters of either first or second Samuel I believe devoted to her story. But there is also mention of several women serving as prophets in the bible, you just need an account of their exploits to have been recorded in a big way.
I think he might mean in the Old Testament. Which only would probably influence Judaism more than anything.

I do believe this is the case, there are IIRC seven prophetesses in Judaism:
  1. Sarah
  2. Miriam
  3. Deborah
  4. Hannah
  5. Abigail
  6. Huldah
  7. Esther

There is also the Book of Esther, so this is already OTL. Unless I am wrong, I mostly got the info from wiki. I am sure that some of our jewish members can better correct me here.

When it comes to this question, are wanting to know how if female prophets were more of a thing in the Tanakh and thus focusing on Judaism, or The Christian Bible and thus focusing on Christianity, or both.

I do believe this is the case, there are IIRC seven prophetesses in Judaism:
  1. Sarah
  2. Miriam
  3. Deborah
  4. Hannah
  5. Abigail
  6. Huldah
  7. Esther

There is also the Book of Esther, so this is already OTL. Unless I am wrong, I mostly got the info from wiki. I am sure that some of our jewish members can better correct me here.

When it comes to this question, are wanting to know how if female prophets were more of a thing in the Tanakh and thus focusing on Judaism, or The Christian Bible and thus focusing on Christianity, or both.
Not sure if Hannah and Ester delivered any prophesies. Though both played crucial roles in the Bible, and I suppose it varies by tradition and sect.

The women I mention all appear in the old though they are mentioned later on.
Oh I know though the prophetess initial impact would probably be mostly on Judaism first and Chrisitanity second if it even exists in this timeline due to all the butterflies It would cause as Jesus may never even born in that timeline.

There's Deborah the wife of Lapidoth, she who broke the Canaanites and sang that song in the Book of Judges.

An Axial Age woman sage is more difficult.

Oh I know though the prophetess initial impact would probably be mostly on Judaism first and Chrisitanity second if it even exists in this timeline due to all the butterflies It would cause as Jesus may never even born in that timeline.
Take in consideration that a prostitute was a descendant of the king David, and she has some verses in the Joshua's book too, and she's really appreciated in OTL.

Take in consideration that a prostitute was a descendant of the king David, and she has some verses in the Joshua's book too, and she's really appreciated in OTL.
Yeah fair enough, But would Jesus even be born in this timeline? I do believe whatever the prophetess writes about would affect Judaism far more in the short term anyway

Yeah fair enough, But would Jesus even be born in this timeline? I do believe whatever the prophetess writes about would affect Judaism far more in the short term anyway
Jesus or wathever that could be considered as "Mesiah" would born late or near from the original date, since the Judaism was becoming very corrupt and traditionalist, and since a lot of people wanted a religious reform for their beliefs, I think that another crazy jew would appear to fulfill the void that Jesus in OTL left (people even thinked that John the baptist was the mesiah, so we can get an idea of how desperate were the jews for a "savior".)
I want to imagine that if a prophetess was more designed to the "war", and she was proclaimed as a descendant of the mesiah, a warmongering israel leaded by an autocratic jesus, is a very crazy but funny idea.

Jesus or wathever that could be considered as "Mesiah" would born late or near from the original date, since the Judaism was becoming very corrupt and traditionalist, and since a lot of people wanted a religious reform for their beliefs, I think that another crazy jew would appear to fulfill the void that Jesus in OTL left (people even thinked that John the baptist was the mesiah, so we can get an idea of how desperate were the jews for a "savior".)
I want to imagine that if a prophetess was more designed to the "war", and she was proclaimed as a descendant of the mesiah, a warmongering israel leaded by an autocratic jesus, is a very crazy but funny idea.
Oh god that's a really interesting idea for a TL, But I can find a few holes in it. First of all when does this happen. I am assuming after David but before the Babylonian captivity so this may actually result in the Jews never actually being placed in a situation for this occur. For all we know a massive Jewish empire could be dominating the Middle East. In my view if you want to be realistic the Prophetess will likely just become a boring and relatively unconsquental prophet like Gideon or Elijah for example and doesn't have much of an impact.

Oh god that's a really interesting idea for a TL, But I can find a few holes in it. First of all when does this happen. I am assuming after David but before the Babylonian captivity so this may actually result in the Jews never actually being placed in a situation for this occur. For all we know a massive Jewish empire could be dominating the Middle East. In my view if you want to be realistic the Prophetess will likely just become a boring and relatively unconsquental prophet like Gideon or Elijah for example and doesn't have much of an impact.
Maybe she could be placed after the Solomon's rule, before Israel got divided between Judah and Israel, and she could be like as you said, some Gideon or Sanson that defeated the "enemies of israel" with his magic powers, maintaining united the kingdom assasinating both descendants of solomon (there was a woman that actually did the same with a king that was enemy of the israelians, but I dont remember her name), and establishing another king or even a third successor of the "blood of David".
She could marry him or not, maybe in both cases maintaining a militaristic and totalitarian rule over the israelians, crushing their neighboor kingdoms like the moabites, the assyrians, the egyptians, etc.
In a future, maybe a simp of this prophetess would proclaim himself descendant of her and David (this is an assumption, maybe the history would even make her as spouse of david, allowing him to have even a higher "divine" rank to proclaim his claim of "mesiah") and if he is the enough good commander to raise a rebellion against the romans and win it, he would become the "god's commander" in the earth.

Maybe she could be placed after the Solomon's rule, before Israel got divided between Judah and Israel, and she could be like as you said, some Gideon or Sanson that defeated the "enemies of israel" with his magic powers, maintaining united the kingdom assasinating both descendants of solomon (there was a woman that actually did the same with a king that was enemy of the israelians, but I dont remember her name), and establishing another king or even a third successor of the "blood of David".
She could marry him or not, maybe in both cases maintaining a militaristic and totalitarian rule over the israelians, crushing their neighboor kingdoms like the moabites, the assyrians, the egyptians, etc.
In a future, maybe a simp of this prophetess would proclaim himself descendant of her and David (this is an assumption, maybe the history would even make her as spouse of david, allowing him to have even a higher "divine" rank to proclaim his claim of "mesiah") and if he is the enough good commander to raise a rebellion against the romans and win it, he would become the "god's commander" in the earth.
David was Solomons dad and long dead by that time (and the Old Testament was a thing by that time though the Prophetess probably butterflies It away) and I doubt the Israelites would have warm feelings to the women as the queen who actually did this got overthrown and murdered horribly and she did It through Intrigue and not conquest. Also the chance of the Romans even being a thing Is stretching It a bit because Rome was founded after the reign of Solomon and for all we know the Greeks or Ectrustcans could have conquered them or perhaps Carthage is the one to conquer everything or Rome just decides to bunker down In Italy and just not expand for whatever reason,

And If she does manage to conquer Egypt I doubt the Jews wouldn't be the ones calling the shots in the middleast for the foreseeable future which butterflies the Persian empire and alters Greece rather significantly making the world Pretty much their oyster and I doubt the Romans conquer them If they even as previously mentioned exist . This Prophetess in short in your TL so completely uproots the original timeline that It is completely unpredictable from then on. Though I suppose all History is unpredictable anyway and really this shouldn't dissuade you from writing something like this in the future as It could be very interesting to see.( I know 90% of the timelines on here don't really take that into account pretty much ever)

Last edited:
To be honest this is just an idea that I had, following the historical parameters, and only following "biblical" standards of history.

The scenario that I tried to explain is one in which the other ancient nation's and cultures aren't really affected, just that the israelians consolidate their power in the levant during the reign of of the prophetess, and then after the typical fight for powers that the jew's had, the respective historical empire would conquer them as in OTL.