WI Northern Ireland in the 1970 and 1974 World Cups?

George Best of Belfast is known to be one of the greatest players ever for Manchester United but he is also one of the greatest players never to play in the World Cup as he came from Northern Ireland. What if NI qualified for the 1970 or 1974 World Cups as Best was in his heyday then? How would NI participation affect the competition?

Best chance is 1970 (sorry!). If NI had beaten the USSR at home at least 2-0 and scored a goal in Moscow making the score 1-2 then they would have qualified instead of the USSR. However it might be a big ask.

Funny I just happened to find this topic just happened to come up as I was just thinking about it today!

But 1970 would've been a good time for them to qualify, could see them doing well thanks to a certain George Best. Also with the events of Bloody Sunday the year previously, NI at the World Cup would've been a much needed feel good story.

However I do feel they could've qualified for 1966 too as they just missed out by a single point if I remember, 1974 is pretty much not possible as by then Best was past his prime. I have been thinking of doing a AH topic of more successful Home Nations at tournaments if I can get round to doing it.