WI: No Soft Drinks?

What if soft drinks (cola, ginger ale, root beer, etc.) had never been invented. For the sake of the thought exercise, let's say that once soda water was invented, it was still used "medicinally." However, different spices and nasty tasting medications were put in it at first, tarnishing its reputation. Maybe have a craze of natural "eastern medications" before soda becomes widespread and have it seen as "unnatural" or something. So, it never becomes popular.

Regardless of the exact PoD, soda as we know it is never invented. What would we drink? Would tea and coffee stay more popular outside or breakfast? Would watered-down alcohol still be widespread with dinner or on its own? Would water instead gain popularity as clean water becomes easier to obtain?

Last edited:
The question is what fills the niche of cool refreshing beverage. Fruit juices and other sweet drinks are obvious possibilities once refrigeration takes off.

Citrus cultivation becomes much more popular, I'd expect.

Could they not just choke down uncarbonated beverages with more sugar and corn syrup?

Wonderful, more artificial flavours in fruit juice. A world where a product advertising 25% real juice is nothing short of an incredible advancement in natural, organic foods.

Yeah, that's probably close to it.

I really doubt this would be likely to happen. People like bubbles. We already have bubbly fermented beverages. We've known how to carbonate water for a long time. Eventually, somebody is going to carbonate fruit juice, and then add sugar.

The most difference you'd see, aside from different brands, is that there'd be no association with soda fountains and pharmacies. You'd probably see soda fountains at grocers instead. Or, hell, even bars.

Well, with any luck I'd be a lot lighter and not diabetic. On the other hand I wouldn't be a happy camper...

There still would be milk, syrups, and so on.
And once you mix mint syrup with carbonated water, you technically have a soft drink.