WI no smoking

Nephi

Banned
What did it wasn't the taste it's that old worlders had different reactions to it than the natives, they were almost immediately addicted. Leave that out, somehow, and you end up with it being what it was to them. An occasional trip plant.

If we can ban second-smoking what are really good arguments for a Governement to ban smoking,Has a Governement then the right to interfer in somebody's personal life?

Many people accept that the government has the right to ban dangerous drugs like heroin and cocaine, so the same logic could be applied to tobacco (or alcohol for that matter). But that's an entirely different topic.

Governments would just tax something else, tea or coffee?
In most countries they were, it's just that the taxes have not been raised in a long time so that inflation has rendered them miniscule and the cost of collecting them started surpassing the revenues so that in many countries they were abolished.

Skallagrim

Banned
Coffee taxes (and prohibitions!) have historically exsted, even as special duties that went beyond the (indeed quite common) duties on tea, alcohol etc.

Of course, those "normal" duties existed because the idea of a general duty wasn't as common yet. It's likely that tea duties etc. will still get replaced by general tarriffs and VAT systems. But special duties on particularly "harmful" things have long existed, too, and continue to exist. Alcohol is the obvious candidate, but coffee is another candidate. Some things that have been made illegal in OTL (coca drinks, kola drinks, opiates...) could just be taxed and regulated instead.

What did it wasn't the taste it's that old worlders had different reactions to it than the natives, they were almost immediately addicted.

Really, so there's a difference in susceptibility to nicotine addiction kind of like there is with alcohol addiction?--- only going the other way.

I guess I always thought the tobacco was bred and refined to become a more addictive product for humans in general.

Really, so there's a difference in susceptibility to nicotine addiction kind of like there is with alcohol addiction?--- only going the other way.

I'd like to see a source on that. If it were true, then I'm sure the tobacco industry would have noticed this and would adjust their marketing as needed. However, they certainly did target Indian reservations quite extensively (and were sued by the Navajo Nation among others).

I guess I always thought the tobacco was bred and refined to become a more addictive product for humans in general.

It's more it was bred and refined to be less harsh and repulsive to most people over the centuries. The "Indian tobacco" Europeans first encountered centuries ago would be almost unpalatable to the majority of smokers nowadays. And that's not including the crap they put in cigarettes to make them more addictive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Europeans start making use of tobacco as a recreational drug before discovering it was also an excellent insecticide?

If I'm right, you could just have them discover its use as a pesticide first and later catch some natives smoking it, leaving the Europeans completely dumbstruck at the idea there would be someone crazy enough to willingly inhale bug poison.