WI no pyramids

What would have been the effect of the pharaohs deciding not to build pyramids?

We will keep this to a single POD so there are still pyramids in Mexico and Central America.

You'd have to change their religion. From what I recall pyramids were the logical progression to representing the earth mound in their origin story.

You'd have to change their religion. From what I recall pyramids were the logical progression to representing the earth mound in their origin story.

In OTL Egyptians finished building of pyramids when these were too expensive. Perhaps Egyptians just don't ever get idea or think that being too expensive. So you have not necessarility alter their religion at least not radically.

Probably pharaohs would have some different burial places which would attract tourists. Or then Egypt just have not much else than ancient ruins and statues.

Or restrict their access to spare manpower. Iirc the bulk of the musclepower, rather than the skills, came from effectively conscripted peasantry during the inundation season. They couldn't farm so we're used as brute force to cart rocks around. The artisans had their own village around the pyramids. So keep the peasantry busy somewhere else?

The implication of the Egyptian religion was that you embalm people so their bodies could be resurrected (without their brains, the plans was to resurrect them as zombies) but said nothing about where you put the embalmed bodies and in fact 99.9% of dead Egyptians were not entombed in pyramids, even during the time when the pyramids were being constructed. The religion was the same before and after the pharaohs were being entombed in pyramids.

So the pharaohs would have been entombed in holes excavated in the ground and cliffs and you don't get the long lasting pyramid structures. There is nothing in ancient Egyptian society for preventing something like that happening. But what if this had happened?

I think a big result is that the view of ancient Egypt held by everyone else changes. Think of the ancient civilizations that did not build grand monuments. How much have you heard of them?

Ultimately, what impact did the pyramids have on history? If we handwaive why they weren't built (were the people fighting, rebelling, building something else, was Egypt bankrupt?) the main difference is cultural. Is Egypt seen as the archetypal ancient power if it leaves no more monumental ruins than anyone else?

Maybe Egypt spends more time building enormous temples instead?

They did that too, Karnak is the second largest temple complex in the world, after Angkor Wat. Another example of a large Egyptian temple, the mortuary temple of Amenhotep III, was also rather large but is almost entirely lost because it was build too close to the Nile. The only still standing part of that temple are the Colossi of Memnon.

Pyramids were also built in the Tigris and Euphrates River Valleys. Ziggurats are mounds of earth with distinctive spiral stairs around them. Ziggurats are mounds of earth distinguished by spiral stairs climbing their walls. They allow local elites to climb above seasonal floods. The height signifies the greater vision/knowledge and wisdom of priests. Grain silos also helped ensure loyalty during famines.
Agriculture may have begun in the Black Sea basin (flooded about 6,000 years before Christ). Refugee farmers fled west along the Danube, north along the Volga and east - over the Anatolian Plateau into the Fertile Crescent. Unfortunately, rains and spring floods do not coincide with grain growing seasons, so they needed to dig lengthy irrigation ditches to water crops. Since any single irrigation canal requires far more labour than a single village could provide, society became stratified and more complex. Subsistence farmers sold their children into slavery when threatened by famine.

Similarly, Mayan temples served as water reservoirs and were surrounded by complex irrigation canals.
What economic purpose did Egyptian pyramids serve?

I think a big result is that the view of ancient Egypt held by everyone else changes. Think of the ancient civilizations that did not build grand monuments. How much have you heard of them?
I don't know about that. If we assume Abrahamic religions still appear in a recognisable form than Egypt will still be regarded as an ancient civilisation of huge importance simply because of how important it is to religious narratives. It's just attention will focus more on their (even moreso than OTL) impressive temples.

I don't know about that. If we assume Abrahamic religions still appear in a recognisable form than Egypt will still be regarded as an ancient civilisation of huge importance simply because of how important it is to religious narratives. It's just attention will focus more on their (even moreso than OTL) impressive temples.

Assuming the Bible still gets put together, Egypt would probably be about as salient in pop culture as Babylon, i.e., not quite as famous as IOTL, but still one of the most famous ancient civilisations.