WI: No Joan of Arc?

Sorry if this question was asked Before but was discussing in other thread..what if Joan of Arc never born or never did anything in history? like just remained a common peasant girl? How did story changes? or did she was an example of history white noise?

I don't think there would be much of a difference from the present. I think the French would have won with or without a Joan of Arc figure. As Joan of Arc didn't bring anything tactical to the French. The one sad difference is that the world wouldn't have the story of Joan of Arc's heroism and bravery.

Last edited:
I don't think there would be much of a difference from the present. I think the French would have won with or without a Joan of Arc figure. As Joan of Arc didn't bring anything tactical to the French. The one sad difference is that the world wouldn't have the story of Joan of Arc's heroism and bravery.

And moral doesnt exist and doesnt have any bearings of the outcome of a fight. I mean who would be more ready and willing to fight just because god was on their side?

Im not an expert and have no idea what the outcome would have been without the moral boost France and her army got thanks to Joan but discounting her completly as irrelevant is IMO not right.

Perhaps no Joan would have meant no difference. One looks @ a map & it seems absurd to even think that
a country the size of England could conquer a country the side of France. OTH, this same small land did man-
age to possess, for more than a century, an empire so huge the sun literally never set on it.

There is also the situation of France in 1428 IOTL to consider. The country was demoralized, having lost all
the big battles of THYW(especially that little encounter @ Agincourt). A major chunk of it(Burgundy)had
out-&-out broken away to form an independent nation of its own. France's own king had signed it away to England(in the infamous Treaty of Troyes)& although France had a new king- Charles VII- who now pro-
claimed France was still its own nation, he was indolent, weak, & hadn't even been coronated. In other words an inspiring figure Charles was not(I remember reading somewhere that the Duke of Alencon remarked of Charles that he never knew a king who lost his lands so gladly).

And then in this dark hour burst a figure- a peasant girl by God!- who declared she had been sent by God
himself to roll back the English & get Charles crowned King. She then proceeds to relieve Orleans, win a
victory over the English(the battle of Patay)that was almost as overwhelming as Agincourt had been earlier,
& get Charles crowned, all as she said she would. After Joan the French were downcast no more, & their
position was much improved. It just simply can't be a coincidence that before Joan the tides of THYW had
flowed in favor of the English but afterwards they ran, often fitfully it is true, but nonetheless irrevocably,
in favor of the French, until finally in 1453 the English were thrown out of all France except Calais.

So I think you just can't say that butterflying away Joan of Arc would make no difference. My own guess is
that in a Joan-less TL, the French still do win, but their victory takes far longer, & would have been far more
costly, than it was IOTL. This would undoubtedly have greatly changed all of European history too, in ways
I'm not even going to try to guess(a TL for somebody else to present perhaps?)

Deleted member 96212

Sorry if this question was asked Before but was discussing in other thread..what if Joan of Arc never born or never did anything in history? like just remained a common peasant girl? How did story changes? or did she was an example of history white noise?

To name one small event in history, it's possible that thanks to the butterfly effect, the worst child molester and serial killer in history is either killed long before his crimes occur, is caught far earlier, or simply never obtains the wealth and clout that enabled him to carry out his gruesome deeds.