WI no Joan of Arc ?

A medieval POD now: WI Joan/Jeanne had never had her voices during the 15th C which compelled her to drive the English from France ? Would England still have a foothold in continental Europe today had Joan/Jeanne not had the influence which she had OTL, or is this over-stating her impact on hist ?

Good question, did she make a unique contribution or did she represent forces that were already in motion?

I think that the without Joan the war might have continued a bit longer, but would have ended the same way. What she did through her presence was to inspire the 'common man', but even without her the war would have eventually gone for France.

the only book I have that deals with JoA gives the impression that the English were on the verge of victory before she came along. Is that wrong?

Faeelin

Banned
Ayup. Burgundy did not want a strong England, and in 1435 defected to France's side. Absent that, perhaps we see a France below the loire, and "burgundy" encompassing France north of it.

Faeelin said:
Ayup. Burgundy did not want a strong England, and in 1435 defected to France's side. Absent that, perhaps we see a France below the loire, and "burgundy" encompassing France north of it.

I've always read that Burgundy only defected to France's side in 1435 because the tide had turned against England. But if the tide had not turned against England, your probably right for the most part everything north of the Loire would be English but everything under Burgundian control will probably become part of the Burgundian Kingdom with no Louis XI helping Rene II pay the Swiss mercenaries.

I remember the Simpsons episode with Joan D'Arc, that was great.- 'Attack the English! Their concepts of individual rights could undermine our beloved tyrants!'
I don't think she alone made much difference but then I don't know much of French history.