Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of divergence cannot be before 1900 but can extend until the 1973 War. What if Israel ceased to exist? It can be done before it’s creation (ie no Balfour Declaration) or after its creation (losing any of the 1948, 1967, or 1973 wars). The only contingency is that the Holocaust cannot be butterflied away. Would the Jews remain in Palestine, find somewhere else to call a Jewish State, or head into a permanent diaspora without any hope of returning to the Holy Land?
Note: I do not condone any crimes against humanity or other atrocities. This is just an exercise about what could have been in history.

If they failed in Palestine, most of the Jews would be evacuated. I actually think a lot of them will return to their own country if they were from Western Europe. Most of the European Jews would end up in the USA. The Jews from the Islamic world? Hard to tell.

Last edited:
Personally I suspect that you could see mass conversions to Christianity or Islam or abandoning religion altogether with the double atrocities of the Holocaust and losing Palestine.

If they failed in Palestine, most of the Jews would be evacuated. I actually think a lot of them wilk return to their own country if they were from Western Europe. Most of the European Jews would end up in the USA. The Jews from the Islamic world? Hard to tell.
In the Arab World, I see Syria and Egypt expelling Jews in the later 1950s due to the Pan-Arabism movement along with other foreign entities that were expelled in OTL. Or if not expelled they would likely convert to Islam to avoid persecution.

Perhaps the Arab Cold War is a lot more heated. IOTL The pro-US side in the ACW was limited to established monarchies which received support from the British, while pan-Arabist leftists were popular as they presented a front against Israel. Here, without Israel, pan-Arabist leftism isn't as popular.

Perhaps the Arab Cold War is a lot more heated. IOTL The pro-US side in the ACW was limited to established monarchies which received support from the British, while pan-Arabist leftists were popular as they presented a front against Israel. Here, without Israel, pan-Arabist leftism isn't as popular.
How would you achieve “No Israel” in your scenario though?

How would you achieve “No Israel” in your scenario though?

Fairly easy. Lehi assassinates Truman in 1947, leading to the anti-Zionist George Marshall becoming president (there was no Vice President at the time, and in 1947 if there was no VP and if the president dies, then the secretary of state becomes president). George Marshall uses the assassination of Truman by Lehi to crack down on Lehi cells in the US, leading to many Lehi members fleeing to Palestine. Fearing that an independent Israel may become a base for Lehi terrorists, Marshall chooses to aid the Arab states with arms. The Arabs also listen to Glubb Pasha more, and the 1948 Arab-Israeli War leads to an Arab victory.

i would say either an arab victory in the israeli war of independance in 1967 or 1973.
or have a alternate war between those dates.
any pod between 1900 and 1917 is unlikely.

If you keep the Ottoman Empire out of Israel, it’s unlikely to be partitioned by the Entente. Even if it falls apart without World War 1 (which is likely), an Arab state is likely to take over Palestine. It might not even be Palestinian. It could be Egypt or Syria.

If you keep the Ottoman Empire out of Israel, it’s unlikely to be partitioned by the Entente. Even if it falls apart without World War 1 (which is likely), an Arab state is likely to take over Palestine. It might not even be Palestinian. It could be Egypt or Syria.
True. While paying lip service to the idea of an independent Palestine once Israel was established, they took land for themselves instead after the war of 1948. As far as the Jews go, it’s not going to be a pretty picture if the Holocaust still happens plus a possible loss in the 1948 war.

Deleted member 109224

The Jews of Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia likely all end up in France. This might also be true of the Jews of Syria as well.
I'm not sure where Lebanon's Jews would end up.

The same American lobbying groups that pushed hard OTL to help refuseniks emigrate to Israel and America would be advocating hard for Jews in other countries to be able to come to the United States.

Egypt will still expel its Jews just like it expelled every other non-Arab group, though to where they go I am not sure. Maybe Britain opens its doors? America? France?

I'm not sure Jordan would expel all of the Jews in the territory it seizes. The King offered an autonomous canton OTL.

Personally I suspect that you could see mass conversions to Christianity or Islam or abandoning religion altogether with the double atrocities of the Holocaust and losing Palestine.

This kind of goes against the actual history of Judaism. Namely truly fantastical pig headed stubbornness.

Nah. Judaism is here to stay.

Damned right. We'll be around long after everything else turns into dust. At the end of the universe reality will consist of some dust and one very mulish Jew insisting on staying for dessert.

With a clean continues Arab border I believe this would assist in the survival of a united arab state, being at least as big as Egypt and the Levant (greater Syria?).

Egypt will still expel its Jews just like it expelled every other non-Arab group...
Every non-Arab except the 10M Coptic Christians, who are not Arabs. Ask them. They are descendants of the pre-conquest Egyptian population. Many Coptic Christians converted to Islam and assimilated into the Arab population, but Arab Moslems never converted to Coptic Christians.

Moroccan jews would probably return to Morocco. There will be some issues but they are still considered moroccan citizens.

Deleted member 109224

With a clean continues Arab border I believe this would assist in the survival of a united arab state, being at least as big as Egypt and the Levant (greater Syria?).

Or, more likely, the effect Israel had on reducing intra-Arab tensions in the Arab Cold War (Israel being the common enemy) is gone so the monarchies and republics each view each other as the principal threat TTL.

Nasser's guns are going to be pointed at Jordan and Saudi here.

Without a common incredibly unpopular enemy it seems more likely the arab world is even more balkanized. Without having to counter Israel its more likely there are more inter Arab wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.