WI: No Image Comics?

In 1992, several prominent artists for Marvel Comics, including Erik Larsen, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, and Todd MacFarlane left the House of Ideas in order to found Image Comics. This due to their frustration that Marvel did not grant them much in the way of royalties from their popular works (including merchandising), so Image Comics was specifically founded on the notion that each comic would be creator-owned, with the creators of each comic having financial and creative control over their title. Works like Liefeld's Youngblood, Lee's Wildcats, Larsen's Savage Dragon, and MacFarlane's Spawn became very popular for a while, and today, later Image titles like Invincible, Saga, and The Walking Dead have become incredibly successful in their own right.

But suppose this had never happened. What if, in 1992, Marvel had made some sort of deal with the artists that caused them to stay?

-What might have been some terms both sides would have reasonably agreed on? I assume that neither would get 100% of what they want, but perhaps a compromise would've been reached. What would've been the effects of such a compromise for Marvel from a business perspective?

-From a creative standpoint, what would've been the effect of these artists continuing on their books? The X-Men comics and related titles would perhaps be the most effected, with Lee, Liefeld, and Marc Silvestri not leaving. Furthermore, what of the characters invented for Image Comics? Might Spawn have shown up in the Marvel Universe? Might several of the Wildcats characters instead be introduced as new X-Men? Might Liefeld's Youngblood have instead been a new rendition of the Teen Titans at DC, as was originally planned?

-How would this chain of events affect the industry as a whole? How might DC Comics have reacted to their primary competitor becoming more amenable to the demands of their artists? How might smaller publishers like Dark Horse and Valiant have developed differently in a world without Marvel Comics? And, of course, what might all of this have meant for the comic speculator boom and bust of the 1990s (which led to the bankruptcy of Marvel itself in 1996)?

Fair point, though would this be enough to put them in the position in TTL 2016 that Image itself is in OTL 2016?
I'm not sure.

I suggest taking a look at SFDebris's rise and fall of the Comics Empire video series. It's a very good summation of the 90s comics industry

Image was founded by people who confused their egos for talent. And those egos had been stroked by that speculator boom, grim dark, "xtreme" era in comics. As a label, it was not that great, and ran into the problem of different creators making the same characters, just with different names and outfits. On the whole, I don't have a high opinion of it other than quarantining some of the people involved from the work they had been involved with.

Image was founded by people who confused their egos for talent. And those egos had been stroked by that speculator boom, grim dark, "xtreme" era in comics. As a label, it was not that great, and ran into the problem of different creators making the same characters, just with different names and outfits.
some of them did have genuine talent. But few of them were good at business

some of them did have genuine talent. But few of them were good at business

That aside, did their initial complaints at least have some merit? That Marvel should've been giving them more in the way of royalties for their characters, artwork, etc? And again, what would a realistic compromise between all involved parties have looked like?

That aside, did their initial complaints at least have some merit? That Marvel should've been giving them more in the way of royalties for their characters, artwork, etc? And again, what would a realistic compromise between all involved parties have looked like?
Marvel had historically treated artists pretty badly, see Jack Kirby. Not sure how they were treated at that time though

I wonder of all the oxygen they sucked out of the toom may have helped some of the other third tier publishers - Dark horse, Caliber and Valiant and the like.

With all those artists still at Marvel, I wonder if that may save the company from the bankruptcy later in the decade.

If nothing else we are spared Image's early, crappy stuff. It was a firm reminder that some of the worst artists of the era knew not how to write, nor manage a company.

So, the PoD would probably be Jim Shooter coming back to take the helm at Marvel. Of course, this would abort the existence of Valiant as well as Image.

Now, Marvel going to Shooter rather than Perelman would have big effects by itself. Assuming the company doesn't aggressively exacerbate the conditions that led to the crash in the industry, thus leading to its own bankruptcy, I would imagine Marvel would have far more leverage when selling the film rights to its characters.

Yes. Artists were historically treated like crap by the companies they worked for.

Even without Image, Liefeld would still be a terrible artist.

That's not fair. Liefeld doesn't qualify as an artist.

Yes. Artists were historically treated like crap by the companies they worked for.

Well, I think the best PoD now (credit to @Jcoggins for bringing it to my attention) would be Jim Shooter taking over Marvel in 1988/1989 rather than Ron Perelman. How would the company have operated differently, do you think?

Dark Horse would probably become the main home of creator-owned independent series that they currently share with Image nowadays.
Now, Marvel going to Shooter rather than Perelman would have big effects by itself. Assuming the company doesn't aggressively exacerbate the conditions that led to the crash in the industry, thus leading to its own bankruptcy, I would imagine Marvel would have far more leverage when selling the film rights to its characters.
I think some of the film rights, like Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, had already been sold off by Marvel by that point.

Dark Horse would probably become the main home of creator-owned independent series that they currently share with Image nowadays.

I think some of the film rights, like Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, had already been sold off by Marvel by that point.

Actually, the Spider-Man situation was only definitively settled post-bankruptcy.