WI: No Daily Show with John Stewart?

No kind of world I care to live in.
Seriously, I was just reading a article somewhere (sorry can't recall the source to cite) about the numbers of younger folks (18-25) that get their news from the Daily Show and The Colbert Report. That type of comedy also seems to be a good springboard for young comedians (Carrel, Attel, Rocca, Colbert himslef etc.).

No kind of world I care to live in.
Seriously, I was just reading a article somewhere (sorry can't recall the source to cite) about the numbers of younger folks (18-25) that get their news from the Daily Show and The Colbert Report. That type of comedy also seems to be a good springboard for young comedians (Carrel, Attel, Rocca, Colbert himself etc.).

Well fewer young people tuned into current affairs. No offence to my Yankee friends from my viewing of American news channels has made me believe there's little difference between the Daily Show and them in terms of a solid news base on which they do their 'interpretations'.

Also as Hudson said, a lot of young comedians would have a major outlet. I'm sure plenty of them would arise via other paths but yeah a less funny world certainly.

Craig Kilborn decides to stay on The Daily Show instead of faltering as a late night host for "The Craig Kilborn Show". Jon Stewart stays on MTV(?) and continues his acting career.

Nuclear War between India and Pakistan

Putin decides to revive the Soviet Union

South Africa doesn't free Mandela and becomes the Draka

Comedy Central still is mainly known as "The South Park Network" (and before SP they were mainly "The MST3K/SNL Rerun network").

The Office (US) stars Martin Short as Michael Scott. Cancelled after six episodes.

EDIT: On grounds that The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn would never, ever have given Steve Carell the exposure he needed to launch his career.

Too grim a world to contemplate. My son, Mike, would probably have not received an internship at The Daily Show and discovered that although Jon Stewart is a fine fellow and a considerate employer, comedy is not a high paying profession (at least at entry level jobs). Without the four months of experience in New York as a production intern, Mike might have continued to take improv comedy courses (at my expense), continued to believe that comedy was a reasonable career track and postponed going to law school until the legal market imploded. Without a legal job offer, Mike might still be making regular withdrawals at the First National Bank of Dad. Talk about butterflies creating a dystopia!! :eek: