WI: No Arab and Transatlantic Slave Trades

Both the Arab Slave Trade and Transatlantic Slave Trades never happen. While Africa still has its own slavery, African slaves are never exported outside of Subsaharan Africa. How would this affect Subsaharan Africa, the Arab World, and The Americas? I assume Africa will have a higher population. How much so? The main issue here is that trade between Africans and Arabs/Europeans would likely be lower. On the other hand, this could put pressure on African chiefs and kings to find other things to trade with.

These two slave trades almost remind me of the resource curse: when an economy relies so much on one specific resource, be it oil, minerals, or in this case, slaves, that other parts of the economy are neglected and fall behind. Do you agree with this?

About 24 million more people at a very minimum, and most likely more as there are also fewer deaths due to those that died within and as a result of the slave trade. A higher population would most likely mean greater development.
The slave trade did act as a resource curse, but it also acted as general stunting to society's growth population-wise.

If African rulers find something else to trade with, wouldn't they be using plenty of slavery themselves? Sugar production, gold, etc. is labor intensive no matter where it is and in Africa will use slaves. Meaning a state that's getting rich off selling this to Europeans is no doubt buying weapons and wanting more slaves meaning they're still slave raiding throughout Africa. You could still see substantial depopulation in Africa and the creation of a "Latin America" type state centered on exports of gold, tropical wood, ivory, and above all, sugarcane and agricultural products.

The Arabs are going to want slaves too, meaning they'll need an alternative source like Europe. Could be more consolidation in the Mediterranean to stop this as well as more crusades to free enslaved Christians. Christians themselves will raid pagans nearby and sell them to Muslims, and they might deal with the Jews not by expulsion but by selling them as slaves.

The difference comes where you don't have the "Middle Passage" where countless slaves died before seeing the misery of the sugarcane plantations.

The colonization of the Americas is significantly retarded, as is therefore the evolution of capitalism and the industrial revolution. Without the slave trade, you have a very restricted productivity of cash crops and plantations that rely on indentured servitude and indigenous enslavement, both of which are unreliable sources of manpower. Without plantations, Brazil and the Caribbean do not develop. I’m no expert on Virginia, but I’d suspect the same. Without the significant income and profits from the colonial system, the investments and financial services necessary to kickstart industrial capitalism will also take far longer to materialize.

Africa is far more populated, creating more urban locations that states can form around. This produces far more states that are adjacent to each other, and develop the control over their populations and centralization of bureaucracies that allow for longer lasting states and development.

The colonization of the Americas is significantly retarded, as is therefore the evolution of capitalism and the industrial revolution. Without the slave trade, you have a very restricted productivity of cash crops and plantations that rely on indentured servitude and indigenous enslavement, both of which are unreliable sources of manpower. Without plantations, Brazil and the Caribbean do not develop. I’m no expert on Virginia, but I’d suspect the same. Without the significant income and profits from the colonial system, the investments and financial services necessary to kickstart industrial capitalism will also take far longer to materialize.
This is a huge misunderstanding of economic history. The vast majority of capital investment for the industrial revolution came from the profits of the agricultural revolution, not from the Americas. The differential in industrialization between the northern and southern United States shows what a retardant slavery was to industrialization. Why bother to invest in labor-saving devices when labor is dirt cheap and can be kept in perpetuity?

This is a huge misunderstanding of economic history. The vast majority of capital investment for the industrial revolution came from the profits of the agricultural revolution, not from the Americas. The differential in industrialization between the northern and southern United States shows what a retardant slavery was to industrialization. Why bother to invest in labor-saving devices when labor is dirt cheap and can be kept in perpetuity?
I base my arguments on Eric Williams’ classic Capitalism & Slavery. I don’t have the data on hand right now, but Williams proves how profits associated to the colonial system financed early industry. It’s also worth mentioning that labor being cheap in the slaveholding colonies does not automatically translate to cheap labor in the metropolis or non-slaveholder colonies (although, as Marx showed, labor was pretty cheap indeed anywhere you looked). Williams also agrees with your thesis that industrialization ended slavery, which I’m skeptical of myself, but it’s not the issue at hand.

I base my arguments on Eric Williams’ classic Capitalism & Slavery. I don’t have the data on hand right now, but Williams proves how profits associated to the colonial system financed early industry. It’s also worth mentioning that labor being cheap in the slaveholding colonies does not automatically translate to cheap labor in the metropolis or non-slaveholder colonies (although, as Marx showed, labor was pretty cheap indeed anywhere you looked). Williams also agrees with your thesis that industrialization ended slavery, which I’m skeptical of myself, but it’s not the issue at hand.
I personally feel critiques of the book from economists like Richard Pares and Stanley Engerman, who note that the capital generated by slavery for Britain was a tiny part of the British economy, disprove the thesis that slavery caused industrialisation. Additionally, most of that profit was pissed away on luxury products instead of invested in experimental ventures.

If anything, the abolition of slavery had a greater hand in the industrial revolution (as it made labour expensive, forcing people to invest in labour-saving products) than the use of it! This can be shown by how the Industrial Revolution started in Manchester, whereas Britain's main colonial port was Bristol.

I feel a major reason why people still believe Williams's work despite a lot of valid criticism is because "slavery caused industrialisation" is a convenient narrative for both the Right and the Left.

Brazil and the Caribbean do not develop.
Whilst I can't say much about the Caribbean, I can pretty safely assume that Brazil would develop, indeed it would develop much more than OTL, though slower in the beginning. If you look at Brazil's colonial history you'd see why. Firstly, there's a bunch of shit Europeans want, Brazilwood which can be used for making better red dyes than the ones in Europe (a bit expensive in 16th century Europe), sugar, gold, coffee... but I agree, without African slavery, these things would take a bit more time to happen, doesn't mean they wouldn't happen. And there are plenty of ways you could get them to happen, it could first be due to indentured servitude, settlers wanting to somehow make money, giving natives more advanced weapons and tools if they did it, probably all of them. Thing is, this won't work for the entire colony's history, nor do they need since as Brazil becomes more developed the more people would go there and so there'd be more people to do these things, which they'd probably do since they would need to integrate into an already established community which will demand that they do something before they accept the newcomers. If the Protestant Reformation becomes bad enough, or Brazil is colonized by France, the Protestants could be used as "technically not slaves but basically slaves" slaves. Overall, it'd probably be a good thing for Brazil as there would be a real incentive to industrialise.

Whilst I can't say much about the Caribbean, I can pretty safely assume that Brazil would develop, indeed it would develop much more than OTL, though slower in the beginning. If you look at Brazil's colonial history you'd see why. Firstly, there's a bunch of shit Europeans want, Brazilwood which can be used for making better red dyes than the ones in Europe (a bit expensive in 16th century Europe), sugar, gold, coffee... but I agree, without African slavery, these things would take a bit more time to happen, doesn't mean they wouldn't happen. And there are plenty of ways you could get them to happen, it could first be due to indentured servitude, settlers wanting to somehow make money, giving natives more advanced weapons and tools if they did it, probably all of them. Thing is, this won't work for the entire colony's history, nor do they need since as Brazil becomes more developed the more people would go there and so there'd be more people to do these things, which they'd probably do since they would need to integrate into an already established community which will demand that they do something before they accept the newcomers. If the Protestant Reformation becomes bad enough, or Brazil is colonized by France, the Protestants could be used as "technically not slaves but basically slaves" slaves. Overall, it'd probably be a good thing for Brazil as there would be a real incentive to industrialise.
Permanent settlement of Brazil depends on plantations. Plantations were what got political authority to settle and be established and enforced. They provided permanent bases that were production centers and not merely trade posts, allowed for the creation of a local landed aristocracy with vested interest in defending their property and with close ties to the Portuguese Crown and Governor-General for protection, and provided the necessary economic interest to justify spending resources in colonization. They also promoted the exploration of the interior not only via the traditional bandeiras, but also in things like going increasingly far away to fetch firewood (which the plantations consumed A LOT) and in search of adequate grazing grounds for cattle, since the coastline was primarily occupied by the plantations. Without African slavery, plantations are not a sustainable model, because it is such a labor-intensive and brutal mode of production that you need a constant and massive influx of cheap workforce which indigenous slavery and European indentured servitude historically could not provide. Yes, “Brazil does not develop” may have been a tad harsh, as you pointed out, but it is safe to say that the settling and the establishment of political authority in the area would take far longer and would be more similar to the Portuguese outposts in Africa (trading posts) than any sort of permanent settlement, as proper colonies. Until gold is discovered, at least, but that will take a good while. Either way, “Brazil” looks completely different.

I feel a major reason why people still believe Williams's work despite a lot of valid criticism is because "slavery caused industrialisation" is a convenient narrative for both the Right and the Left.
About as convenient as “slavery did not cause industrialisation, Britain did”, to be honest.

Last edited:
Either way, “Brazil” looks completely different.
I never contested that.

it is safe to say that the settling and the establishment of political authority in the area would take far longer and would be more similar to the Portuguese outposts in Africa (trading posts) than any sort of permanent settlement, as proper colonies.
No, it isn't. Trading posts might work for a while, but the Brazilwood trade was very profitable, so much so that corsairs were a thing that Portuguese ships regularly had to deal with, a French corsair expedition is the whole reason Rio de Janeiro was founded. Eventually, a European power will settle down and colonize Brazil, after all, there's only so much wood you can find near a trading post before you have to go further inland to find more. Sure, plantations will be a problem, and indigenous slavery and European indentured servitude can't do what the slaves did IOTL, but they don't need to, they only to hold long enough before gold is found and suddenly there's a gold rush which means more people will come to Brazil, it isn't too difficult to have serfdom appearing in the conditions after gold rush slows down too. The Industrial Revolution will also be kickstarted earlier since people will want money-making to be less labour-intensive. I'd guess it would become popular somewhere around the 1770s-1800s, which, once again, means serfs, natives, indentured servants, etc. only have to hold things for 100 more years after the gold rush starts.

I'd also like to state that it is implausible for the Portuguese to hold onto Brazil, they will be the people who first discover it, but not the main colonizing power. that'd probably be France (Spain has enough shit, wouldn't really care about the Portuguese doing their thing and probably wouldn't risk a war with France over Guanabara Bay, England's too distant, and the Dutch don't have enough people to hold on to it. All whilst the French have enough people + interest in gaining more money, all whilst pissing off Spain which is even better). Mainly due to the fact that, as you said, plantations were the reason the Portuguese (just like any other European power) stayed, and without slaves that would be made more difficult. The French, however, have enough people (read: Protestants) to just put them on a ship going to Brazil, where they would work in the sugarcane plantations for a while before more people came in. It's not like Brazil's only purpose has to be resource extraction, it can be used as a base for French corsairs, expelling unruly people, pissing of Spain... The first two reasons would also contribute to making Brazil be a more settler colony (though not fully), which means there would be a significant demand to make sugar/coffee, mine gold + all kinds of hard labour that doesn't involve much skill, I bet my left nut newcomers would be both desperate and hopeful enough to do very intense work for the few first years if it means they get paid well, have a place to sleep and some connections when they truly start their new life, after all, if they aren't, other people will be.

About as convenient as “slavery did not cause industrialisation, Britain did”, to be honest.

Convenience is irrelevant. What matters is good economics. And, to be honest, Eric Williams, like most historians who dabble in economics, is not strong on his economics. They simply don't have a good grasp of the theory and the conceptual models. Being a good economist is all about having an intuitive understanding of which metrics are drivers and which are dependents, which are endogenous and which are exogenous. Economic historians love to take things like exchange rates and average rates of return as being fixed.

Even if we ignore the fact he was a Trinidadian nationalist politician. Even if we ignore the fact that the vast majority of capital for the industrial revolution came from domestic sources not the colonies. The reality is that diminishing marginal returns to capex combined with constant rates of depreciation mean that starting capital doesn't matter over the long term. If you have less capital to begin with, the net rate of return will be higher, if you have more capital, the net rate of return will be lower. This all nets out as being the same steady state of output for a given level of investment rate and technology. Read up on Swan-Solow if you really want to get up to speed on this.

No, it isn't. Trading posts might work for a while, but the Brazilwood trade was very profitable, so much so that corsairs were a thing that Portuguese ships regularly had to deal with, a French corsair expedition is the whole reason Rio de Janeiro was founded
Brazilwood extraction is not enough to provide permanent and effective settlement. It necessitates very little infrastructure and military control when compared to plantations. Brazilwood colonies would be more akin to trade posts than actual colonies. France Antarctique was a different beast as it was a religious outpost first and an actual colony second, in the context of the French wars of religion. You are vastly underestimating the central importance of plantations to create complex societies and economies in virgin territory.

Eventually, a European power will settle down and colonize Brazil, after all, there's only so much wood you can find near a trading post before you have to go further inland to find more
How and what?
before gold is found and suddenly there's a gold rush which means more people will come to Brazil, it isn't too difficult to have serfdom appearing in the conditions after gold rush slows down too.
It took almost 200 years for gold to be found in Brazil. I don’t see why a less settled and economically complex Brazil would be able to find gold sooner. Also, don’t forget that the largest share of the workforce during the gold rush was slave labor. There was some Portuguese immigration to Brazil because of the discovery of gold, but this is the age of mercantilism. It’s not comparable to the gold rushes in the United States in the 19th century. Large scale gold extraction would still require slaves.
The Industrial Revolution will also be kickstarted earlier since people will want money-making to be less labour-intensive. I'd guess it would become popular somewhere around the 1770s-1800
Assuming it does start with no New World incomes and accumulation of capital, which is a big if (though granted, Potosi will still be there with or without the slave trade).
I'd also like to state that it is implausible for the Portuguese to hold onto Brazil, they will be the people who first discover it, but not the main colonizing power. that'd probably be France (Spain has enough shit, wouldn't really care about the Portuguese doing their thing and probably wouldn't risk a war with France over Guanabara Bay, England's too distant, and the Dutch don't have enough people to hold on to it. All whilst the French have enough people + interest in gaining more money, all whilst pissing off Spain which is even better). Mainly due to the fact that, as you said, plantations were the reason the Portuguese (just like any other European power) stayed, and without slaves that would be made more difficult. The French, however, have enough people (read: Protestants) to just put them on a ship going to Brazil, where they would work in the sugarcane plantations for a while before more people came in. It's not like Brazil's only purpose has to be resource extraction, it can be used as a base for French corsairs, expelling unruly people, pissing of Spain... The first two reasons would also contribute to making Brazil be a more settler colony (though not fully), which means there would be a significant demand to make sugar/coffee, mine gold + all kinds of hard labour that doesn't involve much skill, I bet my left nut newcomers would be both desperate and hopeful enough to do very intense work for the few first years if it means they get paid well, have a place to sleep and some connections when they truly start their new life, after all, if they aren't, other people will be.
It’s possible for the French to engage in Brazilian colonization, but then again OTL and their complete failure and later disinterest should not be discarded. It’s not like Brazil was a priority region of Portuguese colonization either. It only became a priority after the Restoration War and the loss of the East Indies. It’s not a given that a European power would colonize Brazil without returning incomes from cash crops. Brazil is hard to colonize due to its geography. Aside from being far from Europe, when compared to the Caribbean and North America, you have to consider vegetation such as tropical rainforests and first of all the coastal mountains, which I kid you not look like tropical Mordor when observed from the shore. A settler colony has little chance of working independently and, again, plantations cannot be sustained via indentured servitude. It did not work in the Caribbean, which is closer and smaller than Brazil, and it will not work in Brazil. It’s a matter of volume and of social tension. Slavery is needed to provide the required volume for the reproduction of the workforce and to create social cohesion among colonizers (what are you going to do with a bunch of landless white and Christian indentured servants once their plantation contracts are up and they start demanding land and employment?). There is no way that cash crops can work without slavery, at least not at the scale it is supposed to work with.
Convenience is irrelevant
Well, tell that to the user who actually brought this up, not me.
And, to be honest, Eric Williams, like most historians who dabble in economics, is not strong on his economics. They simply don't have a good grasp of the theory and the conceptual models. Being a good economist is all about having an intuitive understanding of which metrics are drivers and which are dependents, which are endogenous and which are exogenous. Economic historians love to take things like exchange rates and average rates of return as being fixed.
On the other hand, economists are not historians either. Applying economic models with no concern for the historical structure they are analyzing tends to also give distorted results. An excessively statistical and economicist history is more akin to speculative data rather than proper, methodical history. Naturally this also applies to Marxist historians.
Even if we ignore the fact he was a Trinidadian nationalist politician
He was a historian before he became a politician.
Even if we ignore the fact that the vast majority of capital for the industrial revolution came from domestic sources not the colonies
Controversial. Not only regarding Williams, but the entire Great Divergence field.
The reality is that diminishing marginal returns to capex combined with constant rates of depreciation mean that starting capital doesn't matter over the long term. If you have less capital to begin with, the net rate of return will be higher, if you have more capital, the net rate of return will be lower. This all nets out as being the same steady state of output for a given level of investment rate and technology. Read up on Swan-Solow if you really want to get up to speed on this.
Surprisingly I am familiar with the Solow model, though it’s not yet a model I’m 100% comfortable working with. I do know enough to think it’s not a very suitable model for pre-industrial economies, since it relies on concepts and structures that only really arose after the Industrial Revolution, e.g. if I am not mistaken salaried workforce that forms a bloc of consumers who demand goods from the capitalists. Then again, this isn’t really my field, like a pre-industrial Atlantic economy isn’t really Solow’s.

Surprisingly I am familiar with the Solow model, though it’s not yet a model I’m 100% comfortable working with. I do know enough to think it’s not a very suitable model for pre-industrial economies, since it relies on concepts and structures that only really arose after the Industrial Revolution, e.g. if I am not mistaken salaried workforce that forms a bloc of consumers who demand goods from the capitalists. Then again, this isn’t really my field, like a pre-industrial Atlantic economy isn’t really Solow’s.
Again, this is what I mean about familiarity with economics. I am not talking about being statistically rigid. You need to understand the models deep enough to know what needs to hold true for them to work and what does not. And the only fundamentals you need to hold true for Solow is diminishing returns to capital, constant average depreciation, and investors chasing the best return. All of those will apply in 1700s Atlantic economies.

These dudes aren't just magically going to stop raiding their neighbors for slaves and selling them to outsiders for valuable goods, luxuries, currency, and protection/peace. A greater population in Africa just creates a *greater* pressure to get rid of the "excess" compared to OTL. We can't tell you what effect will be likely without even having a cause. If it's magic then it could be anything. If it's somehow an extreme taboo, across the continent of hundreds of cultures and at least dozens of religions, to sell other Africans to non-Africans (??? what distinction could they even make at this stage that any other African is different to them than an Arab or a Chinaman?), or taboo just to have slavery in general, that's a POD thousands of years back to create and entrench that taboo that goes against every energetic and economic impetus.
So first, what's the cause of this state of affairs, so we can even gauge the effect?

Does no Arab Slave Trade just cover Subsaharan African or is it including Eastern and Southeastern Europe as well?

The population of early Brazil had more Europeans than Africans and in fact it took until around 1750 for the African population to be bigger than the European populations(natives were often plurality too), so clearly it was not simply an European aristocracy that existed there and insofar as Brazil is not some inhospitable wasteland there is no reason why the Portuguese settlers couldn't move there anyway for other purposes other than just trading. For the first century of Brazilian history the African population didn't go beyond 20-25% of the population.

To be honest, this would be a very hard premise to fulfil. The likelihood is that you'd see more violent slave raids in the region because it would still be profitable if local African economies wouldn't trade.

What is interesting is that the area would probably be more visibly relevant and client states attempted earlier if that was the case. Very Opium-Wars practice.

----

But to try and fit the premise, lets go with some more stability in the region. Strong alt-Nigerian and Alt-Mali states that dominate the region, and perhaps a strong reformed Bori faith in alt-Nigeria/SuperHausa and an influenced version of Islam in Mali to build a strong cultural disgust of slavery (if that means they still effectively keep it but rebrand it, so be it, just setting some ground work)

That's the sort of setup I'd expect you'd need, West Africa more or less secure around two powers that control the coasts with the strength and economic power to realistically be well prepared to react to Europeans arriving there.

As for impacts, that alone has huge sweeping ones, but its likely, if we take Britain, we'd see a MUCH larger use of Irish 'Indentured Servants' - and Spain might work more against N.Africa to turn the Barbary Pirates, and the people of the Maghreb into slaves for their colonies too. This would also apply for native peoples of the Americas.

The population of early Brazil had more Europeans than Africans and in fact it took until around 1750 for the African population to be bigger than the European populations(natives were often plurality too), so clearly it was not simply an European aristocracy that existed there and insofar as Brazil is not some inhospitable wasteland there is no reason why the Portuguese settlers couldn't move there anyway for other purposes other than just trading. For the first century of Brazilian history the African population didn't go beyond 20-25% of the population.

Who worked in the plantations?

Lusitania

Donor
The Muslim economies and states relied on slave labor for a large percentage and Islam prohibited the enslavement of Muslims. That was why the Arab slavers wanted Christians, non Muslim Africans and other no Muslims for slaves. To stop that you would of needed the KORAN to explicitly say no to slavery. But that would of meant that Islam not get accepted and not grow the way it did. Slavery existed in the Red Sea area prior and after Islam was founded in the 7-8th century. Therefore your premise of no Arab slavery is flawed and impossible.