WI: Nixon administration (competently) pays off burglars, Watergate never fully revealed?

Completely different political and media environment than what Obamacare faced; Liberal isn’t a dirty word yet and plenty are still around that favor big government programs.

More importantly Nixon was more than experienced enough to know you need opposition party support to make something work, something the Democrats didn't ever try seriously to get.

As someone of voting age in that era & a liberal Republican I can say it would. Not one really wanted the problems of a scandal. I'll also emphasis it was not the burglary that was the problem, it was the rather stupid & bungled cover up. The effort spent to conceal a seemingly minor bit of political chicanery seemed ridiculous. In those days we assumed such spying was normal. The inept cover up is what shook folks confidence in Nixion & his staff. They had a government to run & were wasting inordinate amounts of effort on a dumb but minor thing. As things snowballed Nixon and his staff were ceasing to function as a executive & head administrator, & certainly was no longer a leader. If he had taken the necessary degree of responsibility at the start he would have appeared as the leader folks hoped he was and things would have moved on.

Along this line, a political science professor of mine recently noted that when the burglary came out it was a second page story in The Washington Post, which back then was considered a local/regional paper.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . At any rate we'd spend 40% less than OTL on healthcare, plus have a less topheavy/monopolistic business environment without OTL's system that de facto only allows SMALL companies or megacorporations to exist, so more medium-sized companies. . .
I’ll take it! :)

And in addition to these lofty goals, which less face it, we may or may not fully achieve, it sounds like we will have far healthier interplay between theory and practice than we currently have.

And I, of course, mean for both the D’s and the R’s, just an all-around better functioning political environment.

The Ds would have more of a working class vote, probably more emphasis on class given the GOP poaching them earlier making them compete. You still see the social liberals/new left types, but well think more social democratic, or at the more free market end of things corporatists like hart or tsongas, not borderline Reaganites like Bill Clinton.

A sizeable expansion of the welfare state with UHC/UBI coming under a REPUBLICAN would scramble politic alignments quite a bit, plus adding in more populism overall.

My guess is nixoncare would resemble in many ways the swiss/dutch healthcare programs with their focus on using insurers. At any rate we'd spend 40% less than OTL on healthcare, plus have a less topheavy/monopolistic business environment without OTL's system that de facto only allows SMALL companies or megacorporations to exist, so more medium-sized companies.

Effects on public support/policy? Well, you'd have the small government types drastically weakened in the GOP, plus a faster shift of working class whites to the GOP with effects on policy. A GOP that's got a bigger working class component, combined with a populist wing. The middle class yuppie social cons/movement cons would at most be a wing of the party with a not clean, but at least not caught Nixon being able to seal the deal with making a populist wing/moving the south GOP early, combined with no destruction of the moderate wing post-watergate, so a significantly less socially conservative/prudish GOP than OTL.

Possibly savings as high as 75%, if we do Singapore style price measures.

trajen777

Banned
I'm not sure Nixoncare would actually be all that good as policy. I mean, look at all the public uproar over Obamacare, and yes, public support is a big part of successful policy.

The rumors that Nixon worked to scuttle LBJ's last minute peace deal between North and South Vietnam may gain increase circulation and traction. The one saving grace is that South Vietnam President Thieu wasn't crazy about the deal in the first place.

The time was good for national health care, wealth, low debt, health care cost realistic, and corp health care was very expensive and was hurting business. Many if not most had health care. Obamacare was very poorly done, costly, poorly implemented, with massive illigal aliens ( est 12 -20 mm pick ur number)

If he fails to get healthcare through, Vietnam still falls, and Stagflation persists, what is his reputation?

I don't think Vietnam will fall with Nixon still president. Getting the healthcare bill passed is going to make him more popular, and he is certainly able to reach across the aisle to work with the other party. That means US aid wont stop, the RVN doesn't run out of ammo, and the NVA wont overrun the nation.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
More importantly Nixon was more than experienced enough to know you need opposition party support to make something work, something the Democrats didn't ever try seriously to get.
per Obamacare 2010 (no longer current politics)

Just to show there's chocolate and vanilla, and people view things really differently,

I remember early on that Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell saying that he wanted the Obama administration to fail. And this, while we were past the immediate danger of Sept. and Oct. 2008, was still during the most serious economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . plus have a less topheavy/monopolistic business environment without OTL's system that de facto only allows SMALL companies or megacorporations to exist, . . .

. . . with UHC/UBI coming under a REPUBLICAN would scramble politic alignments quite a bit, plus adding in more populism overall.
Thank you for some economic discussion other than exclusively health care related! :openedeyewink:

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
serv_h.gif

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/...obs-are-in-2-graphs-hint-not-in-manufacturing

By 1970, it was obvious enough that Manufacturing was no longer delivering the goods as far as job growth for a growing economy, and certainly by the elections of '74, '76, and '78 on some level should have been a major topic of discussion. But economics generally is a boring, diffuse issue, not matter how important.

I draw from the article that we should attempt to bend the path and create more middle-income jobs within the broad Service category (the article itself ends with focus on education, which I personally think is overplayed).

Last edited:
Thank you for some economic discussion other than exclusively health care related! :openedeyewink:
np.

expanding the welfare state even more during the cold war would shift the debate alot overall. doing it under a republican, well you move the working class whites GOP early, make the GOP floor with blacks be 20% instead of 10%.

Even sticking only to healthcare, you get huge changes from any implementation of UHC, or even in lesser scenarios just covering nly the working class's healthcare. alot of differences like the witch hunt culture/certain forms of prudishness imo stem from the US's being a society without uhc. remove those and alot of culture/politics develop differently.

They mention this in Slow Burn, just burn the tapes! Say there was an electrical fire or flood the room it was in! You’d pay an immense short term political price, but you might limp by and survive as a weakened President.

*To be clear, I’m happy they didn’t.

**Also, if you’re ever in LA the Nixon library makes for a pleasant afternoon.

per Obamacare 2010 (no longer current politics)

Just to show there's chocolate and vanilla, and people view things really differently,

I remember early on that Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell saying that he wanted the Obama administration to fail. And this, while we were past the immediate danger of Sept. and Oct. 2008, was still during the most serious economic downturn since the Great Depression.

I don't remember Democrats hoping Bush would succeed and we have Democrats right now openly wishing for a recession. If it is in their interest they will go along with it. For it to be in their interest they have to have a say in it. You can't pass a bill along perfectly partisan lines and hope the opposition will support it.

They have to have input and quickly. By the time Democrats even pretended to try to get Republican support, it was too late. It was a moment where "Oh crap, there are demonstrations against it so we better get some Republican support otherwise we get all the blame". Why the hell would the Republicans bail them out of the mess of their own making?

What would Reagan's chances be if he runs for the GOP in 1976 following a completed Nixon second term? In OTL, he was already being groomed for the presidency. Should he face, say, Scoop Jackson in 1976, then it should be one very interesting campaign. As for Carter, I would picture him running for the US Senate for Georgia.