WI: Nickelodeon with its own version of Adult Swim

What if Nickelodeon developed its own equivalent to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim? How successful might it be, and what might it look like?

What if Nickelodeon developed its own equivalent to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim? How successful might it be, and what might it look like?
Nick at Nite, man.
Nick at Nite was intended to be a true equivalent of AS before becoming reruns at night. You need Nick being more savvy, keeping undergrads and Lowbow(nee Megas XLR( developers, maybe keeping all of MTV animation in house too, irrc, Undergrads,the prototype would become avatar and lowbeow were to be their flagship shows

Nick at Nite, man.
I don't think that's quite the same thing. Adult Swim is far more dedicated to original programming, while Nick at Nite had a grand total of 15 original shows over the course of 36 years (for comparison, that's fewer than the number of original shows being broadcast on Adult Swim this year).

Okay, so this hypothetical "NickAdults" is Basically Comedy Central but with much less Acquired Programming but as Nivek said, you need nick being more savvy and keep undergrads and lowbow but I Wonder what would the original Programming would be like apart from Acquired Animations and Live action programming?
@Mort the Reaper. would you have a say in a Adult-oriented Programming Like a totally different Ren and Stimpy adult party cartoon and Spongebob wouldn't be allowed on NickAdults but Futurama and South Park are?

Okay, so this hypothetical "NickAdults" is Basically Comedy Central but with much less Acquired Programming but as Nivek said, you need nick being more savvy and keep undergrads and lowbow but I Wonder what would the original Programming would be like apart from Acquired Animations and Live action programming?
@Mort the Reaper. would you have a say in a Adult-oriented Programming Like a totally different Ren and Stimpy adult party cartoon and Spongebob wouldn't be allowed on NickAdults but Futurama and South Park are?
Would be more MTV Animation at night, maybe here ITTL they moved all those shows and rerun when MTV goes more reality and documentary focus, becoming a hybrid of the late effort of comedy central(that might remain mostly live action focused ITTL) but Ren And Stimpy could happen as the post watersheed show. Futurama And South Park would be welcomed too

Would be more MTV Animation at night, maybe here ITTL they moved all those shows and rerun when MTV goes more reality and documentary focus, becoming a hybrid of the late effort of comedy central(that might remain mostly live action focused ITTL) but Ren And Stimpy could happen as the post watersheed show. Futurama And South Park would be welcomed too
Yep, Ren and Stimpy is already an Controversial Show for Kid-friendly Nickelodeon but I wonder what would it turns out if NickAdults had aired a Different version of Ren and stimpy? Maybe a Season 6?

Last edited:
Nick at Nite was intended to be a true equivalent of AS before becoming reruns at night. You need Nick being more savvy, keeping undergrads and Lowbow(nee Megas XLR( developers, maybe keeping all of MTV animation in house too, irrc, Undergrads,the prototype would become avatar and lowbeow were to be their flagship shows

Wouldn't think anyone here would know undergrads that show had charm

Yep, Ren and Stimpy is already an Controversial Show for Kid-friendly Nickelodeon but I wonder what would it turns out if NickAdults had aired a Different version of Ren and stimpy? Maybe a Season 6?
Well they did bring back John K for the adult party, meaning could be back the style of earlier season them
Wouldn't think anyone here would know undergrads that show had charm
Do you know the irony here? Cartoon Network Latin America version of Adult Swim was the one that showed Undergrads here, and that show was funny as hell, yeah a shame MTV suddenly defunded their animation division at the time.

Nick at Nite pretty much was functionally a prototype for TV Land, so a slow switch to original programming would probably be in order after the success of Adult Swim.

More to the point, Mr. Meaty finally has a place it can call home.

I'm wondering if Legends of Korra might end up on here.

In the UK, seasons three and four ended up on NickToons late at night, because Nick hated LoK probably.

I'm wondering if Legends of Korra might end up on here.

In the UK, seasons three and four ended up on NickToons late at night, because Nick hated LoK probably.
Korra was a disaster, if anything they got lucky Nick believe so much in Avatar brand give them four season in advace

The thing about Nick at Nite is it is demographic marketing. Adult Swim has the high school and college audience. Basically the "I'm up at 3am" audience. Nick at Nite has the over 30 crowd. The "I'm going to bed soon" audience. If they compete, it's splitting that market.

Season one of Korra was getting extremely high ratings on Saturday mornings before they moved it to Friday nights for season two which killed it.

Daria and/or Beavis and Butthead reruns, Invader Zim (a TV-14 version with a lot more violence), Caitlin's Way (ramped up language and sex, like a modern Freeform show), As Told By Ginger (set in high school instead, and they eventually have Ginger dump Darren for Courtney after Darren cheats on her), and Avatar: The Last Airbender and/or Korra (again, with more violence and language) could ALL potentially work as Adult Swim-type shows for Nick. Maybe bring back Roundhouse, Clarissa, Pete and Pete, or Are You Afraid of The Dark? as well, all of those had strong TV-PG or TV-14 potential. Also, give Dan Schneider a show, but keep him FAR away from kids.

I guess it depends on how "Adult Swim" we want this - IE, just more "mature" shows or outright for teens and adults in terms of violence, material, and swearing.

Well they did bring back John K for the adult party, meaning could be back the style of earlier season them

Do you know the irony here? Cartoon Network Latin America version of Adult Swim was the one that showed Undergrads here, and that show was funny as hell, yeah a shame MTV suddenly defunded their animation division at the time.

Show was big in Canada they pretty much funded a movie being made

Nephi

Banned
You could have actually had a couple of shows scaled up a little, rocko's modern life wouldn't even be that different neither would ren and stimpy, Invader Zim could be an adult, I do like this idea.