WI Nazis do NOT go for V1 and V2 and put the effort into Jet Fighters

Could the Nazis have achieved control of the air, at least over their own territory? What impact would it have on each of the main threats?

I doubt they could achieve control of the air, the allies produce too many fighters and the Germans still have fuel and trainingissues.

V2 was a waste of time and resources.
More jets earlier means LW pilots make the switch from now under-performing 109s and 190s into over-performing fighters. That in return should mean greater losses to the Allied AFs and lower losses to the LW pilots & fighters, meaning also that losses to the German factories (especially the ones making fuel from coal) are not as destroyed in 1944 like they were per OTL.

marathag

Banned
V1 was a winner, forcing the Allies to deploy vast numbers of AAA and then air strikes on the V1 launch sites.
It was the single effective German 'Secret Weapon' of the war, and at a bargain price.

Even more effective Jets won't effect things that much.

What Germany needed was a deployed Surface to Air Missile network

The Meteor first flew in March, 1943 and the P-80 in January, 1944. If Germany is rolling out Me-262s by the hundreds, both those aircraft are probably flying combat by D-Day. Germany still loses and the Shooting Star is seen as the plane that won the air war in the US instead of the Mustang.

Garrison

Donor
More jets earlier means LW pilots make the switch from now under-performing 109s and 190s into over-performing fighters. That in return should mean greater losses to the Allied AFs and lower losses to the LW pilots & fighters, meaning also that losses to the German factories (especially the ones making fuel from coal) are not as destroyed in 1944 like they were per OTL.
The RAF will still becoming by night and by 1944 its far too late to save German industry. The weakness the Allies identified with the Me262 was that it could be targeted quite easily at take off and landing and with the sheer numbers of aircraft available to the Allies 'sweeps' aren't an issue. As has been mentioned the issue for Germany wasn't airframes, it was pilots and fuel. In 1945 OTL there were huge numbers of jet fighters being built and simply sitting on the ground with no one to fly them.

Well, even without rushing the P-80 and the Meteor into production, the WAllies were really good at adapting their tactics to the Jet threat - don't tangle with a Me-262 mid-air.... wait for a Typhoon or a Tempest to bounce it upon landing :)

In addition, I have to wonder just how much more successful jets can be without the V2. Did the V2s use a lot of materials that could have been used to extend jet-engine longevity? Because that was another major issue with the German jets IIRC, they needed a ton of maintenance to keep going.

Last edited:
For SS nothing change instead of useless V2, who killed more humans building them as true it use
will those dies also in construction & production of Mittelwerk complex already planned as Aircraft factory

But will do that change outcome of War ? not as you expected !
The Nazi trow various Jetfighters and Bombers against the Allies
But in end they run out resources and staff & pilots like OTL and shut down Mittelwerk
yes the new Aircraft can delay the War further, but once that bloody Austrian shoot him self while swallow cyanide pill,
The War is over...

thaddeus

Donor
my understanding from the USAF post-war studies the jet engine aircrafts produced little effect with the exception of the Arado AR-234, which restored their reconnaissance?

maybe better for them to build the ME-109Z Zwilling a twin fuselage version of the 109 that would have been quite fast, used 90% the same parts, and would have been familiar to most of their pilots?

then build a small complement of jets as recon bombers.