WI: Naval Invasions during Sengoku Era?

Could Japanese develop&use naval tactics against other each other during the Sengoku era and how effective will it be during and after the war?
To be specific, during Oda's time.

In my opinion, they could but I don't think it would be very effective due to logistics but would affect how the war goes. Not sure if the Japanese would develop shore bombardment on their own or not. Oda might buy some Spanish ships & cannons just to test how effective it would be...

This would only arise if two main factions were naval powers and were competing for markets in Southeast Asia(which the Japanese had significant footing on).
This changes greatly Korea's naval defences by Yi TTL, since Japan was surprisingly struggling in naval tactics and tech OTL.

To my knowledge you did have ships with cannons, but naval invasions where few save Shikoku, and the Japanese navies where mainly brown water for lack of a better term. You would have to have a significant change in how the navy was viewed and ships where constructed, but that would require time and a unified Japan.

To my knowledge you did have ships with cannons, but naval invasions where few save Shikoku, and the Japanese navies where mainly brown water for lack of a better term. You would have to have a significant change in how the navy was viewed and ships where constructed, but that would require time and a unified Japan.

Makes sense. Brown navy A vs. Brown navy B depends heavily on whose waters it's being fought.

What if either Shikoku or Kyushu is ruled by a single faction while e.g. Hokkaido is split between numerous warring factions.

Let's say the Kyushu lords unite as a faction, build up some strength, build some ships, then conduct raids around the southern part of Hokkaido.

Then they invade (or ally with) Shikoku, take it over, and have an increased population base.

Then, they ally with one of the Hokkaido lords (preferably the southernmost one), and have a multipronged attack - land from the allied lord, and by ship on the other side of the domain they're attacking. If they can then hold one end of Hokkaido, they can repeat the process. Landing troops from the smaller islands in places where their opponents aren't expecting them, while their mainland ally concentrates the forces of their opponent on a different border.

Doable, I suppose. The politics of holding together the land they've taken, and the allies on Hokkaido would be ... interesting (in the 'Chinese' sense).

The great issue with naval warfare during the Sengoku era is that the closest thing we had was the Oda and Mori fighting over the Oda blockade of groups like the Ikko Ikki. Generally it didn't amount to much, and the Japanese quickly suffered from this during the invasion of Korea when they faced a nation used to pirate raids.

Unifying Kyushu or Shikoku would be the way forward. They'd need a navy to move men and supplies to other areas if they were hoping to expand, but the area isn't exactly suitable for naval conflicts beyond skirmishes and the focus for ships tended to be blockades. Not to mention that European ships were hard to get. Hideyoshi tried to get some for the Imjin War and was politely given reasons why the Europeans couldn't beyond "because we don't trust you with them", that they would have told a great deal of Daimyo, including Nobunaga.