Wi: Napoleon married Désirée Clary

Before Napoleon got involved with Joséphine he was engaged to Désirée Clary, whose family remained fairly close to the bonapartes even after they broke up with her sister marrying Joseph napoleon.

So what if, for whatever reason, Joséphine never catches napoleon's eye and his marriage to Desiree goes through? Would it be a happier marriage than his OTL one? Would nappy's family get along with her better? Is she likely to have a lot of children with an early marriage to Napoleon?

Is she likely to have a lot of children with an early marriage to Napoleon?
Well she got one with Bernadotte and that is too little sample to say about fertility, again the butterflies would be titanic if she did give Napoleon Kids early in his life and career....

Well she got one with Bernadotte and that is too little sample to say about fertility, again the butterflies would be titanic if she did give Napoleon Kids early in his life and career....
Part of that may be because Bernadotte preferred her staying in france interacting with high society rather than traveling with him on campaign or his stints as governor.

Given the moods Napoleon would get into while long separated from Josephine (in the early days at least), he'd be plenty happy if she accompanied him.

Butterflies can be very big as while Napoleon‘s career was back on the right track before meeting Josephine, his wedding to her was the thing who enabled him to stay in Barras’ circle and receiving the command of the Army of Italy... Surely Desirée was well know by the Bonapartes and having the right age, being the younger sister of Julie, already married to Joseph and already Napoleon’s fiancé for some time she will not have Josephine’s trouble in integrating herself in the family...

Last edited:
Butterflies can be very big as while Napoleon‘s career was back on the right track before meeting Josephine, his wedding to her was the thing who enabled him to stay in Barras’ circle and receiving the command of the Army of Italy... Surely Desirée was well know by the Bonapartes and having the right age, being the younger sister of Julie, already married to Joseph and already Napoleon’s fiancé for some time she will not have Josephine’s trouble in integrating herself in the family...
Wasn't Desirée also very well connected herself?

Absolutely not, she and Julie were simply the daughters of a well-off cloth merchant of Marseille, without any political connection.
Hmm...I thought I had read that somewhere in a Bernadotte biography, never mind then.
Not that napoleon needs much help to get noticed by the directory, considering he was already on they radar because of Toulon.

Hmm...I thought I had read that somewhere in a Bernadotte biography, never mind then.
Not that napoleon needs much help to get noticed by the directory, considering he was already on they radar because of Toulon.
Oh, yes that was true, but Desiree was well-connected as wife for Bernadotte being the sister-in-law of Joseph Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon...

About Napoleon, while Toulon was good and bad for him at the same time as that signaled him as Jacobin, close to the Robespierres (well only to Augustin but still made him suspected and almost destroyed forever his career) and at least Lucien had very strong Jacobin sympathies. Right now Napoleon had received by Barras the command of the forces of the Directory for stopping the revolt of the Royalists and was successful in doing that but between that and receiving the command of any army there is a certain difference. The wedding to the very well introduced (and aristocratic) Josephine played a big part in detaching forever Napoleon’s image was from any suspect of Jacobinism and putting him in the circle of the new leaders of France

Last edited:
The wedding to the very well introduced (and aristocratic) Josephine played a big part in detaching forever Napoleon’s image was from any suspect of Jacobinism and putting him in the circle of the new leaders of France
So what other options would Napoleon have to show that he'd left his old jacobinism behind? Keep in mind that, ultimately, Napoleon was an opportunist when it came to politics. He really didn't believe in much besides order and rational governance.

So what other options would Napoleon have to show that he'd left his old jacobinism behind? Keep in mind that, ultimately, Napoleon was an opportunist when it came to politics. He really didn't believe in much besides order and rational governance.
Barras was starting to trust him, but I guess who without the wedding to Josephine the big start of Napoleon’s career is likely delayed...

Barras was starting to trust him, but I guess who without the wedding to Josephine the big start of Napoleon’s career is likely delayed...
Barras picked him as a commander to deal with the royalists 3 (or 4) October 1795. On October 5 he cleared the streets with "a whiff of grapeshot", which assured patronage of the the Directory. He was promoted to Commander of the Interior and given command of the Army of Italy. He married Josephine on 9 March of 1796. By that time his career was pretty much guaranteed even without the marriage: he left to join the Italian Army two days after the wedding.

Last edited:
Barras picked him as a commander to deal with the royalists 3 (or 4) October 1795. On October 5 he cleared the streets with "a whiff of grapeshot", which assured patronage of the the Directory. He was promoted to Commander of the Interior and given command of the Army of Italy. He married Josephine on 9 March of 1796. By that time his career was pretty much guaranteed even without the marriage: he left to join the Italian Army two days after the wedding.
The point is who many suspected who the command of the Army of Italy and the wedding to Josephine were strictly connected and so is not guaranteed who Napoleon will still receive the command in Italy without marrying Josephine

Yeah, this seems right to me. I think the connections Josephine offered were to be useful later, not this early in his career. The interesting question to me is where does this leave Eugene de Beauhamais?

Yeah, this seems right to me. I think the connections Josephine offered were to be useful later, not this early in his career. The interesting question to me is where does this leave Eugene de Beauhamais?
It seems to me that at this point command of the Italian Army was not a very desirable appointment except for general Bonaparte who already planned offensives of 1794 and 1795. The front was not considered important and the army was the most neglected one both in the terms of supplies and reinforcements. With the nominal strength of over 100,000 the real numbers were around 30,000. It’s commander, Kellerman, asked Carnot for reinforcements and ... was replaced by Scherer who soon afterwards resigned and was replaced by Bonaparte who did not get any reinforcements or supplies and launched an offensive with 37,000 troops against more than 50,000 (or 90,000?) in what was considered a good defensive position. His famous address to the troops clearly described both situation and perspectives.”.You are naked and hungry...It is my design to lead you into the most fertile plains of the world . Rich provinces and great cities will be in your power ; there you will find honor , glory , and wealth .” From the Directorate’s point of view this could look,as a reasonable appointment: (a) honor of getting an army command, (b) familiarity with the theater and (c) a minimal risk for the Republic if inexperienced army commander screws up. Probably they expected something limited in scope like Saorgio Offensive (executed by Bonaparte’s plan)

As for Eugene, he would probably enter the military service and, AFAIK, he was talented enough to make a decent career, especially if he starts as Bonaparte’s aid: even if there is no marriage to Josephine, Barras could recommend him. Of course, chances to raise as high as in OTL would be close to zero.

Last edited:
It seems to me that at this point command of the Italian Army was not a very desirable appointment except for general Bonaparte who already planned offensives of 1794 and 1795. The front was not considered important and the army was the most neglected one both in the terms of supplies and reinforcements. With the nominal strength of over 100,000 the real numbers were around 30,000. It’s commander, Kellerman, asked Carnot for reinforcements and ... was replaced by Scherer who soon afterwards resigned and was replaced by Bonaparte who did not get any reinforcements or supplies and launched an offensive with 37,000 troops against more than 50,000 (or 90,000?) in what was considered a good defensive position. His famous address to the troops clearly described both situation and perspectives.”.You are naked and hungry...It is my design to lead you into the most fertile plains of the world . Rich provinces and great cities will be in your power ; there you will find honor , glory , and wealth .” From the Directorate’s point of view this could look,as a reasonable appointment: (a) honor of getting an army command, (b) familiarity with the theater and (c) a minimal risk for the Republic if inexperienced army commander screws up. Probably they expected something limited in scope like Saorgio Offensive (executed by Bonaparte’s plan)

As for Eugene, he would probably enter the military service and, AFAIK, he was talented enough to make a decent career, especially if he starts as Bonaparte’s aid: even if there is no marriage to Josephine, Barras could recommend him. Of course, chances to raise as high as in OTL would be close to zero.

Well is entirely possible who the wedding to Josephine was a condition imposed by Barras but I am wondering if here we can not still see a Bonaparte/Beauharnais wedding here... Eugene can very well ending marrying Pauline or Caroline here, if he become one of Napoleon’s officers/aides-de-camp

Well is entirely possible who the wedding to Josephine was a condition imposed by Barras but I am wondering if here we can not still see a Bonaparte/Beauharnais wedding here... Eugene can very well ending marrying Pauline or Caroline here, if he become one of Napoleon’s officers/aides-de-camp
That would be interesting.