WI: Napoleon becomes a dual Emperor of France and Germany

As long as Napoleon admired Charlemagne (he visited his tomb in Aachen) it is not strange that he would come up with this idea.

I know he was strongly advised to do not take the HRE title but he could have forged a completely new title like Emperor of the French and the Germans. In fact, the reality would not be that far from being a Protector of the Rhine Confederation, but he could have the power to remove annoying German aristocracy and simplify the administration (no need of sister republics in Batavia, Switzerland etc.) with just a French Imperial realm west of the Rhine and a German mirror east of the Rhine.

So in this scenario, is Napoleon simply elevating the title of "Protector of the Confederation of the Rhine" to "Emperor of the Germans"? In effect, that would amount to elevating Germany to an equal status with France. Doesn't sound like a good idea on its face. The title of German Emperor would also be quite weak compared to the French Empire. The two titles would be similar in name only - Germany (the Confederation) still had a parade of minor princes while France had been completely reorganized into departments. If Napoleon sought to do the same to Germany, it would be perceived as a French annexation of Germany, which obviously would not have been feasible.

If Napoleon sought to do the same to Germany, it would be perceived as a French annexation of Germany, which obviously would not have been feasible.
If he prevented the Peninsular War by refraining from putting his brother on the Spanish throne and also didn't try to invade Russia, he might get a shot. He just needs to crush Austria and Prussia even more violently, which is a plausible thing, considering the sheer number of troops he is going to spare by not doing his biggest mistakes.

Yeah, Britain and Russia would intervene, but there's no guarantee they would've success fighting Napoleon on Central and Western Europe.

The man would need to achieve balance, giving the Germans enough privileges that they wouldn't feel like a province but not that much that the French get overly jealous. I believe he would have a considerable breathing space, in France, with regard to giving concessions to the Germans, considering his degree of gravitas in the French homeland.

He would need another wife though, maybe a Bavarian princess? It would make the most sense, as this would also make his prole half-German.

If he prevented the Peninsular War by refraining from putting his brother on the Spanish throne and also didn't try to invade Russia, he might get a shot. He just needs to crush Austria and Prussia even more violently, which is a plausible thing, considering the sheer number of troops he is going to spare by not doing his biggest mistakes.

Yeah, Britain and Russia would intervene, but there's no guarantee they would've success fighting Napoleon on Central and Western Europe.

The man would need to achieve balance, giving the Germans enough privileges that they wouldn't feel like a province but not that much that the French get overly jealous. I believe he would have a considerable breathing space, in France, with regard to giving concessions to the Germans, considering his degree of gravitas in the French homeland.

He would need another wife though, maybe a Bavarian princess? It would make the most sense, as this would also make his prole half-German.
Abolishing the aristocracy of Germany would have been quite a massive undertaking and would tie down the bulk of the Grande Armee in Germany for years, if not decades. Any allies Napoleon might have had in Germany, such as Maximilian I Joseph, would be lost. Initial sympathizers like Beethoven would quickly become soured by the rapaciousness of the Grande Armee. I also imagine Germany would be opened up to quite a bit of meddling from Britain AND Russia, not on the field of battle but in supporting ousted aristocrats with guns and other supplies.

Last edited:
Abolishing the aristocracy of Germany would have been quite a massive undertaking and would tie down the bulk of the Grande Armee in Germany for years, if not decades. Any allies Napoleon might have had in Germany, such as Maximilian I Joseph, would be lost. Initial sympathizers like Beethoven would quickly become soured by the rapaciousness of the Grande Armee. I also imagine Germany would be opened up to quite a bit of meddling from Britain AND Russia, not on the field of battle but in supporting ousted aristocrats with guns and other supplies.
He doesn't need to abolish the aristocracy. The German Empire under Napoleon doesn't need to turn into a copycat of the French Empire, at least not at first.

Last edited:
Something like this would be a possible scenario:

FGE.png

The fact that Joseph, Louis and Jérôme didn't speak Spanish, Dutch and German didn't stop him from making them kings... (Granted, at least Louis made a serious effort to learn Dutch.)
Didn't stop Nap himself either :) He never quite entirely shed the "Italianisms" in his speech...

If Francis didn't abolish the HRE (perhaps clinging on to hope of defeating Napoleon) and perhaps conveniently die, then Napoloen could straight up be elected Holy Roman Emperor, or if it's to old a title for his liking have it reformed into something like Emperor of Germany.