WI: More Portuguese involvement in Bhutan

The thread that I created about regions and subjects not discussed often got me more interested in reading about areas where my familiarity is limited. I have seen a few discussions about places like China, Japan, Philippines, and Vietnam. However, one region that I have not seen being discussed on the forum is Bhutan. Unfortunately, records about the early history of the area were destroyed due to a fire at Punakha in 1827.

Ngawang Namgyal, who left Tibet because of religious persecution, would end up unifying the warring fiefdoms in the area during the 1630's. An event that caught my attention occurred in 1627 and had me thinking about possibilities. Estevao Cacella and Joao Cabral, who were both Portuguese Jesuits, were the first European visitors to Bhutan in this year. They would stay in Bhutan for around eight months and eventually move on to Tibet. Cacella would write a letter to his superior in Cochin in the Malabar Coast describing their travels.

One interesting piece of information that I came across was that Namgyal declined an offer of assistance from Cacella and Cabral in fighting against Tibet. What if, for some reason, Namgyal were to accept the offer of support from Cacella and Cabral? Is the idea of more Portuguese involvement in Bhutan plausible? If plausible, what are the short and long term effects of such actions?

The sheer distance makes things pretty hard -- Cacella and Cabral may very well have been promising a lot more than they could deliver on. The distance from coastal supply units and the even-thinner-than-the-norm Portuguese presence that far inland in that part of Asia would make it hard for Portugal to be of any use to the Bhutanese.

Found some numbers in regard to distances from areas the Portuguese were known to be established. One thing to note is that the missionaries left from Cooch Behar and arrived in Paro roughly a month later. The distance from there to Paro is roughly 220 km (136.7 mi). Hughli, which is also known as Chinsurah, is roughly 825 km (512.6 mi) from Paro. Chittagong, another spot where the Portuguese were established, is roughly 653 km (405 mi) away. There are some factors involved that would determine how long it would take to travel to Paro: the terrain, condition of horses/pack animals, and weather conditions. To avoid going too in depth in analyzing a possible trip, I will agree that the distance is a bit daunting. However, the Jesuits went a bit further to establish a mission in Tsaparang, in Tibet, just two years prior.

Surprisingly, Ngawang Namgyal granted Cacella and Cabral land in Paro to build a mission in OTL. Unfortunately for the Jesuits, there was no success in conversion, even with Namgyal sending some of his own attendants to join the congregation.

Maybe I should have changed the title and some questions but imagine if they stayed due to better luck with conversion. Cacella and Cabral had presented firearms and gunpowder to Namgyal during their visit at Cheri Monastery. I would imagine that the Bhutanese had stockpiled firearms and gunpowder after this presentation. I have found no record of their use prior to the Second Battle of Simtokha Dzong in 1634 (gunpowder store was ignited by accident during the battle resulting in quite a few deaths on the Tibetan side).

I have not found much information on the travelling party composition other than an interpreter. Out of curiosity, is anybody familiar with how a group such as this would be composed?