WI: Modern Crimson Skies

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date

Deleted member 82792

I was just wondering what the world of Crimson Skies (see link below) would look like in the 21st century.

What would everyday life be like in a post-balkanized America?

How would have the nations developed?

What would be the political parties in each new country?

What kind of entertainment such as TV shows or movies would they have?

How would have technology progressed?

Would they still have the internet?

These and others such questions I would like to know.

Any thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just wondering what the world of Crimson Skies (see link below) would look like in the 21st century.

What would everyday life be like in a post-balkanized America?

How would have the nations developed?

What would be the political parties in each new country?

What kind of entertainment such as TV shows or movies would they have?

How would have technology progressed?

Would they still have the internet?

These and others such questions I would like to know.

Any thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies

"When you hit the ground, tell them Nathan Zachary sent you"

Never played the fasa board game, but did complete the computer game which was fun (obviously as I recall the cheesy quote above)

Right keeping in the spirit of this universe

I think you are looking at a very different WW2 for a start - perhaps with British French Russian, Japanese, German and Italian industries having been supplying arms and aircraft to the various factions in the former USA - all the players have already worked up their military industries.

Also with the US out of the picture - the various arms limitation treaties would very likely have lapsed or simply been ignored.

So there is less of a 'Niche' period of military build up in Europe for the Germans to exploit (i.e. a far stronger French and British Empire in the period 1936 - 1941 when Hitler is looking to expand)

So more of a 3 way cold war with Germany with the maginot line's completion preventing Germany from directly striking at France and Belgium in the conventional sense - and air battles very common (with state sponsored Air Privateer's carrying out a proxy war vs air and sea trade)

A coup in the CCCP results in that nation breaking up into warring states and differing factions of the Communist parties vying for power.

The Powerful Entente Nations - allied with the Scandinavian ones prevent the Nazi's from taking advantage

Air battles battles - particularly low level border clashes become very common (with state sponsored Air Privateer's carrying out a proxy war vs air and sea trade)

Those nations impacted the most by this ie the British Empire resorts to equipping most Merchant ships with 'cam' launchers and ingenious methods of recovering such aircraft.

The same is true of airship and both are forced to operate in a sort of convoy system.

Increasingly private security companies are formed and these build/buy/modify Aircraft carriers and Airship plane carriers and are usually hired through Lloyds of London who as the underwriters of most of the worlds commerce have a vested interest in preventing loses.

This industry becomes big big money and the top pilots of both the security companies, Military's and 'Pirate's' become household names

Many of these Pilots are former Air force types but many are also from the various air militias and Privateer companies in the former US and many of those that survive to retirement have accrued vast sums of money and prestige

Eventually the Cold war flickers and dies with Germany and the Eastern states increasingly looking West - and by 1970 a common market is established that breaks down trade barriers

The Americas too experience a thaw and soon they also begin to form trading blocks and it is often former Pilots now millionaires who run their own trading or security firms that have built bridges between former enemies.

Despite the 'enlightenment' of the western nations - the 'curse of communism' takes hold in the far east -filling in the gap formally filled by Empire and the emerging nations in this area of the world begin their own series of wars - prompting a surge of new Security companies and 'Air Pirate' bands

By 2014 those Wars have generally subsided and those Nations have started to prosper in some cases over taking Europe in things like shipbuilding and car manufacture.

The latest threat seems to be from Rogue Arab states which one by one from the 70s onwards twist the words of the prophets, toppling the old regimes cutting off the supplies of Fuel from the Western and Emerging Industries and once again Private armies are mustered and twisting contrails cover the skies above places like Kuwait, Baghdad and Tehran.

Well from the Premise of my Fanfic.

The actions by the Fascists in the main game were only the beginning as the triumphant force of the Industrial States pursued the Fascists into their hideouts in Appalachia more plans were in motion in the West. Pacifican Air Militia forces would stumble upon a Facist mining facility in Boise leading to an intervention in Alaska which would soon be joinnned by Soviet and Canadian agents already investigating the Facist presence in the region.

War on a large scale would return to the United States when several states declared support for the Nazis after well organized coups leading to fighting across the continent.

Empire of Japan will expand radical
A balkanized America not set against it, also not Australia under civil war.
In 1940s Empire of Japan install the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
including island of Midway and Hawaii

I have not a clue what maker of Crimson Skies had in mind with Germany and Russia.
i hope no Nazi in this TL

i guess that in 1940 the introduction of Jet Engine will major game changer in Air Combat.
either by Nation of Hollywood by Lockheed or British RAF or Germany Air-force
by the way, German Aircraft industry, like Focke-Wulf will have a golden time of production on most insane Aircraft design...

The one thing I do hope in this setting is that the RAF gets some decent kit; the Balmorals are okay-ish, given that they're not front line bombers any more, but the description of the fighter that the RAF was mentioned to have in the game books is frankly insulting.

Deleted member 82792

The one thing I do hope in this setting is that the RAF gets some decent kit; the Balmorals are okay-ish, given that they're not front line bombers any more, but the description of the fighter that the RAF was mentioned to have in the game books is frankly insulting.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow might give you some ideas.

Hope so; I had another look, and here's what I found about the "De Havilland DH. 9 Hornet" (the aircraft described as the RAF's mainstay).

It was fast, manouverable, and made the Japanese Zero look like an A-10 Thunderbolt, with only two weak popguns and two rockets for armaments.

Deleted member 82792

What do you think the nations of North America (and the world) would look like now?

Well, now you've done it. I have to resurrect the game from my storage pyramid.

Hollywood would be interesting. A lot of actors have pilot liscences so having Angelina Jolie and John Travolta as rival Aces/Action Stars would fit right in. A very different Top Gun universe.
No Interstate Highways are built so air, rail and sea/river transport is king. Definitely need a detailed map, the demography would be way different.
If no transister development, vacuum tube research is in the forefront-some ASB breakthroughs there.
Is Prohibition still on? If so, the crime families become dynasties, syndicates become cartels. Murder Inc. makes a lot of money.
Keep the division as is among the 'Untied States' but temporary alliances should be common. A balkanised US is a cash cow for Europe so I can't see them invading for any reason.
Germany won The Great War so no nazism.
South America could unify. China would be a Warlord Coalition state under Fu Manchu's descendents.
Jet development would be slower-no Mig15's until...now.
No assault rifle development just Battle Rifles, SMG's and LMG's. Mac10/11 and Skorpions would be popular with pilots.
Infantry support, cruiser and multi-turreted tanks would still be around. Armored train weapon platform would be popular. Great! 'Atom Annies' and 'Davy Crocketts' on armored trains...
Now I have reading to do, thank you very much!

I picked up the old boardgames and several supplements, but I always hated the FASA 'light guns shoot farther' physics. I also renamed the guns in my head to more realistic sizes.

Revised ranges: .30cals shoot 3 hexes, each larger size shoots one hex more. However the -1 per hex still stands so while heavy guns can shoot to a longer range, they are less likely to hit.

Revised gun sizes are
ingame- headcanon
.30=.30 no change
.40=.50BMG/13.1mm
.50=20mm
.60=30mm
.70= 37mm

Using that I was able to satisfactorily design the various WWII fighters

I figured that the 23 nations of North America would eventually recombine into about 6-8. World War II would see the ISA divided with Illinois, Indiana, and Cincinnati joining the South, the rest of Ohio, Ontario, and Michigan joining New York, and Minnesota along with Wisconsin joining the Midwest. Greater Texas would be made as Oklahoma joins and New Mexico along with southern Colorado are conquered. Arizona and southern Nevada join California involuntarily with the northern California border stabilizing just south of the OTL border. Utah spreads literally in all directions, eventually taking over most of Nevada, western Colorado, southern Idaho, southern/western Wyoming, and Arizona north of the Grand Canyon. Eastern Colorado joins the Midwest and Denver becomes a literal Treaty City. The Northwest takes much of the unclaimed land as far east as the Dakotas, giving the Lakota self-determination as a locally governed state with a common currency, foreign policy, language, and military. New York runs from the Susquehanna to Ishpeming MI to Laborador minus independent Quebec. Old DC, Maryland, and Delaware are a joint satellite of New York and the South. Given the map in 1937, the Dixie satellite of Outer Banks Protectorate joins Atlanta with New Orleans and Appalachia (not quite a satellite but close) not far behind. By the 1960s the postwar economy and calls for Union might even lead to an EU style federation among the continent including the USM.

Empire of Japan will expand radical
A balkanized America not set against it, also not Australia under civil war.
In 1940s Empire of Japan install the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
including island of Midway and Hawaii

Not necessarily. The war in the Pacific was ultimately caused by conflicting definitions of peace. The US definition was everyone stay in their yard. Japan's definition was that if Japan controlled its neighbors, then they could ensure peace (for Japan). The conflict led to an oil embargo which led to Japan seizing Indonesia. They might eventually kick out the Dutch but unless their fuel supply is disrupted, they'd subjegate China first.

Of course, without a US to sell oil and steel to Japan in the first place....