WI: Microsoft bought SEGA?

This was a weird idea I got, but what if rather then merge with Sammy, what if Microsoft bought SEGA and thus Sonic and the other SEGA characters became xBox exclusives?

Maybe around 2004 this would happen.

I’d have no idea what could prompt this, but maybe Sony buying RARE after Microsoft turned them down? Probably after Dinosaur Planet was made for the Nintendo GameCube?

How do you think Sonic and Microsoft would develop down the line and how could those choices (along with the aforementioned RARE and Sony thing) affect the video game consoles and everyone else?

This was a weird idea I got, but what if rather then merge with Sammy, what if Microsoft bought SEGA and thus Sonic and the other SEGA characters became xBox exclusives?

Maybe around 2004 this would happen.

I’d have no idea what could prompt this, but maybe Sony buying RARE after Microsoft turned them down? Probably after Dinosaur Planet was made for the Nintendo GameCube?

How do you think Sonic and Microsoft would develop down the line and how could those choices (along with the aforementioned RARE and Sony thing) affect the video game consoles and everyone else?
Wonder why never happen, even MS knew about Sega system thanks DC...a shame
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/dreamcast-xbox-sega-microsoft-games,news-5579.html almost happened gradually, maybe if they buy them in 2000-2001? depends a lot of things, at least MS have a real presence in japan now.

Less likely for a simple reason: Microsoft Xbox was doing amazing during this period in terms of creating in house titles and getting exclusives, from Halo to Crimson Skies. Even the stuff they had to share, it came out sooner or better on the Xbox/Xbox 360. Microsoft rode that for a decade.

I’m not talking about likelihood, but I would like to examine the ramifications of it and how the games could be along with the chain reactions

I’m not talking about likelihood, but I would like to examine the ramifications of it and how the games could be along with the chain reactions
Less likely for a simple reason: Microsoft Xbox was doing amazing during this period in terms of creating in house titles and getting exclusives, from Halo to Crimson Skies. Even the stuff they had to share, it came out sooner or better on the Xbox/Xbox 360. Microsoft rode that for a decade.
I think getting Sega could be a massive win-win, thanks to hindsight. Got a massive foothold in japan and some IP can work on it and Sega can keep alive and all those game can be improved with sega expertise(sans Halo, but again other thing could come), Sonic(not 2006 disaster), Yakuza, Sakura wars, etc, that is something could help MS.

I think getting Sega could be a massive win-win, thanks to hindsight. Got a massive foothold in japan and some IP can work on it and Sega can keep alive and all those game can be improved with sega expertise(sans Halo, but again other thing could come), Sonic(not 2006 disaster), Yakuza, Sakura wars, etc, that is something could help MS.

I could definitely see that. Sonic would probably still have creative freedom though under a bit more creative control.

Other franchises I could see them revitalizing could be Phantasy Star (for the RPG elements and domination), Vectorman (maybe they could bring it to 3D or be something of a third person shooter or something?), Crazy Taxi (speaks for itself) and possible Panzer Dragoon. Would definitely bring in a good group to the Microsoft.

I could still see Sonic joining Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Also, what do you think of if Rare was purchased by Sony? What do you think Sony could do?

Also, what do you think of if Rare was purchased by Sony? What do you think Sony could do?

Probably the same way they handle Naughty Dog: Let them do their own thing but at the same time make that the creativity doesn't go over a proper operating budget as much as possible.

Probably the same way they handle Naughty Dog: Let them do their own thing but at the same time make that the creativity doesn't go over a proper operating budget as much as possible.

Makes sense, though I do think Sony might have them revive some of the older games or revamp them to be PS exclusives. Definitely Wizards and Warriors.