If Charles kept his Tudor betrothal, Eleanor of Austria could end up married to Sigismund the Old, as it was planned by emperor Maximilian I.

That might not be a bad idea. Saves me from coming up with another husband for Catherine of Austria had I married Eleanor to John of Portugal.

Have Maria of Aragon outlive Manuel and have Catherine become co-regent with her father and the first lady of the court like Margaret of Austria and guide Charles when he comes to spain. It might prevent the revolt of the communeros if she can prevent Charles from plopping burgundians into every important position. She can do a hell lot better as regent during charles absence than as a few years as queen of Portugal. Besides, Manuel already married two of her sisters, there is no need to have a third spanish wife.

Take in consideration one thing: a (later) wedding to Manuel once he is widowed is surely in the cards, but a Catalina back in Spain can be very useful to her father’s plan: first Catalina would most likely taking the regency in Castile, redu the opposition to Ferdinand there, second we have chances who with Catalina as regent in Castile, that country’s Cortes would be more amenable to Ferdinand plan to name his namesake grandson as heir of both Castile and Aragon in place of the older brother...
At that point the Ferdinand (of Austria) and Isabella (of Portugal) match and that between John (of Portugal) amd Catherine (of Austria), who is the only granddaughter who Ferdinand has available are guaranteed

Could be possible, though I'm sure Manuel would prefer his OTL third wife Eleanor of Austria, who would be just about ready for marriage at that time. Catherine is likely sent back to Spain and lives out a life similar to Margaret of Austria as the childless widowed aunt. She would be a very good regent for Charles when he needs to be away. I could also see Catherine, with her strong religious bent, wanting to join a nunnery.
If Charles arrived in Spain already married to Mary Tudor (pretty likely here) he has no need to sacrifice his sister for keeping Manuel’s alliance (in OTL Charles was forced to offer Eleanor as third wife to Manuel as he had offended the King of Portugal refusing to marry his daughter Isabella and that rejection had made impossible also a match between Eleanor and John)

If Ferdinand and Catherine could persuade the courtes to name Infante Ferdinand as Prince of Asturias and marry him to Isabella of Portugal before Charles arrives, then Charles can marry Anne of Bohemia and Hungary instead.

If Ferdinand and Catherine could persuade the courtes to name Infante Ferdinand as Prince of Asturias and marry him to Isabella of Portugal before Charles arrives, then Charles can marry Anne of Bohemia and Hungary instead.
Pretty likely who Anne here will end either as third wife of Emperor Maximilian or married to John Zapolya, as Karl will most likely marry Mary Tudor (he was engaged to her until 1513 in OTL and would likely marry her in 1514 here)

krieger

Banned
Pretty likely who Anne here will end either as third wife of Emperor Maximilian or married to John Zapolya, as Karl will most likely marry Mary Tudor (he was engaged to her until 1513 in OTL and would likely marry her in 1514 here)

I think that Sigismund and Vladislaus would sooner eat their own clothes than let Anna be marrried to Zapolya, she'd end up as Mrs Maximilian if Ferdinand couldn't marry her.

Anna and Louis were bethrothed to Maximilian's grandchildren since 1515, at The First Congress of Vienna, so Charles got more to gain from marrying Anna then Mary Tudor.

Maria of Portugual made her husband swear to marry their daughter to either Kings or first-born sons of Kings, so Ferdinand of Austria is out. The point of the matter is if Mary of England and Charles are already married by 1514 then Grandaddy Max can't marry Anna to Charles unless the bethorthal is broken before that.

Anna and Louis were bethrothed to Maximilian's grandchildren since 1515, at The First Congress of Vienna, so Charles got more to gain from marrying Anna then Mary Tudor.
Karl was engaged to Mary Tudor since the end of 1507 and that betrothal in OTL was broken by Henry VIII in 1513, already married to Katherine and disappointed with their relatives for the insufficient support received by them against the French. With Margaret as Queen of England, Mary‘s engagement would be confirmed and she would marry Charles as planned. Plus Karl was absolute against marrying Anna as he wanted an English or French match as that was more useful for his main priority (aka Burgundy).

Maria of Portugual made her husband swear to marry their daughter to either Kings or first-born sons of Kings, so Ferdinand of Austria is out. The point of the matter is if Mary of England and Charles are already married by 1514 then Grandaddy Max can't marry Anna to Charles unless the bethorthal is broken before that.
Ferdinand of Austria here would be the heir of Castile and Aragon so the first choice husband for Isabella of Portugal and Maria here is still alive and is unlikely to go against her own father’s plan (who would make Isabella Queen of Castile AND Aragon if successful)

Last edited:
I think that Sigismund and Vladislaus would sooner eat their own clothes than let Anna be marrried to Zapolya, she'd end up as Mrs Maximilian if Ferdinand couldn't marry her.
Then Anna would marry Maximilian as that was the alternative decided at the Congress of Vienna if Maximilian had no grandson available to marry Anna in a year from the proxy wedding celebrated there (Karl has already refuted to marry Anna and Ferdinand was in Spain under the custody of his other grandfather).

Karl was engaged to Mary Tudor since the end of 1507 and that betrothal in OTL was broken by Henry VIII in 1513, already married to Katherine and disappointed with their relatives for the insufficient support received by them against the French. With Margaret as Queen of England, Mary‘s engagement would be confirmed and she would marry Charles as planned. Plus Karl was absolute against marrying Anna as he wanted an English or French match as that was more useful for his main priority (aka Burgundy).

Ferdinand of Austria here would be the heir of Castile and Aragon so the first choice husband for Isabella of Portugal.

Okay, I see your point but I wonder if Charles would actually be willing to let his brother be the heir of Castile and Aragon over him.

Furthermore that still leaves an important question: who does Anna of Bohemia and Hungary marry if both Charles and Ferdinand are taken?

Never mind you just answered my second question. However if both Maximilian and Louis of Hungry die on their OTL deathdate, Anna is going to be the most wanted widow in all of Europe.

Last edited:
Okay, I see your point but I wonder if Charles would actually be willing to let his brother be the heir of Castile and Aragon over him.

Furthermore that still leaves an important question: who does Anna of Bohemia and Hungary marry if both Charles and Ferdinand are taken?

Never mind you just answered my second question.
Well if grandad Ferdinand is able to persuade the Cortes of Castile to the switch between brothers (and if Catalina is regent there is pretty likely he would be able to overcome their mistrust of Ferdinand‘s plan, unlike OTL) then Charles has no other choice than accept the situation... Pretty likely who the two brothers ATL will have a very distant relationship, being at the best allies of convenience against a France who is a thorn in the side for both of them.
Remember who in theory Juana is Queen of Castile and heiress of Aragon but she is locked in a monastery under the pretense she is mad.
Castile surely was not thrilled by the idea of being ruled by another Burgundian, after luck had freed them from his father, when they had a nice, native alternative ready AND accepting this exchange is not equivalent to leave full power in Castile to Ferdinand as Catalina is both the regent in Castile AND support this exchange.
Maximilian will need a lot of patience for persuading Karl to stay calm and not worsening the situation while cursing Ferdinand but at the end he can not blame the other King who has just made his own interests

Last edited:

krieger

Banned
Then Anna would marry Maximilian as that was the alternative decided at the Congress of Vienna if Maximilian had no grandson available to marry Anna in a year from the proxy wedding celebrated there (Karl has already refuted to marry Anna and Ferdinand was in Spain under the custody of his other grandfather).

Yeah, but I doubt if there would be any children born from this union.

Never mind you just answered my second question. However if both Maximilian and Louis of Hungry die on their OTL deathdate, Anna is going to be the most wanted widow in all of Europe.

Not that much, than both Bohemians and Hungarians would prefer her uncle Sigismund over her.

Yeah, but I doubt if there would be any children born from this union.
Actually, Maximilian was having illegitimate children up until 1517, and (according to Wikipedia) even had one born posthumously. So considering Anna’s fertility, I think it’s highly likely that she and Maximilian have children, if he lives long enough.

She can marry Ján Zápolya as a second husband, assuming that Louis II still bites it without an heir in 1526.

krieger

Banned
Actually, Maximilian was having illegitimate children up until 1517, and (according to Wikipedia) even had one born posthumously. So considering Anna’s fertility, I think it’s highly likely that she and Maximilian have children, if he lives long enough.

Her firstborn was born 4 years after marriage, and if we leave OTL Maximilian's death date, I doubt if he'd be even able to consummate the marriage properly.

Is there any chance Ferdinaid would marry Anna of Hungary instead of Isabella of Portugal? Let's say the marriage happened before he was declared Prince of Austrius. I know that means no husband for Isabella but Anna is one of the reasons the Hapsburg didn't die out sooner thanks to all the inbreeding they did.