WI: Kursk submarine disaster averted

According to wiki the survivors passed after dropping a candle into oily water causing a flash fire that consumed their remaining oxygen. This happened about 6 hours after the accident. It is doubtful if anyone could have done anything in that amount of time. IMHO I don’t think they would have ever let the US inside an Oscar. Those are one of their best subs. Relations would probably have stayed the same.

trurle

Banned
According to wiki the survivors passed after dropping a candle into oily water causing a flash fire that consumed their remaining oxygen. This happened about 6 hours after the accident. It is doubtful if anyone could have done anything in that amount of time. IMHO I don’t think they would have ever let the US inside an Oscar. Those are one of their best subs. Relations would probably have stayed the same.
I think version about candle is tale rather than firm information. At depth about 100 meters and water leaking in, the oxygen partial pressure would soon be high enough to initiate spontaneous combustion of one material or another, without any candles (even if taking aside question why candle did exist in the submarine at all).
Regarding political effects, accepting foreign help earlier would contribute to Russian government humiliation, but humiliation level was already deep in the saturation zone IOTL, therefore not much political effect is expected.

I think version about candle is tale rather than firm information. At depth about 100 meters and water leaking in, the oxygen partial pressure would soon be high enough to initiate spontaneous combustion of one material or another, without any candles (even if taking aside question why candle did exist in the submarine at all).
Regarding political effects, accepting foreign help earlier would contribute to Russian government humiliation, but humiliation level was already deep in the saturation zone IOTL, therefore not much political effect is expected.

From the wiki article, “As oxygen ran low, crew members attempted to replace a potassium superoxide chemical oxygen cartridge, which accidentally fell into the oily sea water and exploded on contact.” Being a sub vet, I used the slang word we call those, “oxygen candle” or “candle.” Sorry for the confusion. Was a chemical reaction, not an open flame on top of a typical burning candle.