After his narrow loss to George W. Bush in 2004, there was speculation that John Kerry would run again in 2008. But he declined, and instead ran for another term as Senator from Massachusetts. But what if Kerry had run for President again in 2008?

I doubt he does well in the primaries - the argument would be that he'd already proven himself unable to connect with the American people, whereas Clinton and especially Obama were both fresh faces. It would also be somewhat awkward for him to be running in the same primary as his former running mate.

Some helpful PODs could be, John Kerry picking Dick Gephardt as his running mate and subsequently winning the popular vote in the 2004 US Presidential Election (this will deter John Edwards four years later), Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both not running for President, and Kerry announcing in early 2007 that he's not running for re-election in the 2008 US Senate Election in Massachusetts. Combine all of these factors and Kerry's running a full buyer's remorse campaign. For Kerry's 2008 running mate, I think he'd pick either Tom Vilsack or Evan Bayh. Ed Markey probably wins Kerry's Senate seat.

Last edited:
Edwards would not be deterred. He would probably move more to the left, and try to be more of a proto-Warren. He gets tossed in 2010 though. His scandal probably never happens though.

Edwards would probably try again in 2016, I could see him beating Burr in a rematch in this scenario.