WI: Katherine of Aragon, Queen of Castile, Aragon and England

OTL, Juana was queen of Castile and Aragon. What if she had died childless before she could inherit, leaving her younger sister, Catalina de Aragon as her heiress? How is Katherine going to juggle between three different kingdoms when she's also queen consort of England? Is Mary going to become this ATL's "Juana la loca"?

iif juana and maria die childless, then catherine is never setting sail for england. juana's first child was born in 1498, three years before Catherine left to marry arthur

iif juana and maria die childless, then catherine is never setting sail for england. juana's first child was born in 1498, three years before Catherine left to marry arthur
Why would Katherine not set sail for England if Juana and Maria die childless ? The betrothal still stood

Why would Katherine not set sail for England if Juana and Maria die childless ? The betrothal still stood
The betrothal only stands if Ferdinand and Isabella decide so, and they won't. Catherine is heiress now and things have changed, the English were offered a princess, not a future queen, she's almost certainly going to marry Manuel of Portugal, who's now a widower twice over.

The betrothal only stands if Ferdinand and Isabella decide so, and they won't. Catherine is heiress now and things have changed, the English were offered a princess, not a future queen, she's almost certainly going to marry Manuel of Portugal, who's now a widower twice over.
Oh lord, poor Manuel, going through three sisters though OTL he went through two sisters and their niece which isn't any better and welp my brief thought of Arthur as king consort is now dashed. No Ferdinand/Isabella 2.0 here. Why Manuel though ?

Oh lord, poor Manuel, going through three sisters though OTL he went through two sisters and their niece which isn't any better and welp my brief thought of Arthur as king consort is now dashed. No Ferdinand/Isabella 2.0 here. Why Manuel though ?
Because Manuel and Catalina would unite Portugal to Castile and Aragon—here's the Ferdinand/Isabella 2.0, or Catholic Monarchs 2.0 since they were both quite religious. Ferdinand and Isabella will be devastated to lose all three of their daughters within a few years, but they're likely to take consolation in believing it was God's will that Manuel and their daughter unite Iberia.

They were very practical people and if they choose to keep the alliances with Austria and England, Ferdinand would probably offer his niece Giovanna of Naples (b. 1479) to Philip the Handsome. As for Arthur, I'll have to look for appropriate proxys.

Because Manuel and Catalina would unite Portugal to Castile and Aragon—here's the Ferdinand/Isabella 2.0, or Catholic Monarchs 2.0 since they were both quite religious. Ferdinand and Isabella will be devastated to lose all three of their daughters within a few years, but they're likely to take consolation in believing it was God's will that Manuel and their daughter unite Iberia.

They were very practical people and if they choose to keep the alliances with Austria and England, Ferdinand would probably offer his niece Giovanna of Naples (b. 1479) to Philip the Handsome. As for Arthur, I'll have to look for appropriate proxys.
True. Though I don't know why they were allied with England to start with, I don't think there was a lot of benefit to either side. Perhaps Arthur marries Germaine of Foix instead ? 😜

Well, there's always Germaine de Foix for Arthur, which is a far better deal than if she married Ferdinand as IOTL.

True. Though I don't know why they were allied with England to start with, I don't think there was a lot of benefit to either side. Perhaps Arthur marries Germaine of Foix instead ? 😜
if i remember correctly, it's because england was in a prize location to attack france, who was historical enemy to aragon

I believe it was to keep England from allying with France but that's it, it was a much more prestigious and beneficial match for Henry VII than for Ferdinand and Isabella.

Germaine could work for Arthur.

Well, there's always Germaine de Foix for Arthur, which is a far better deal than if she married Ferdinand as IOTL.
Indeed, better yet since Ferdinand won't even want to marry Germaine in this universe. He only remarried in OTL to produce a son and keep Juana and Philip from inheriting Aragon and his Italian possessions.

Indeed, better yet since Ferdinand won't even want to marry Germaine in this universe. He only remarried in OTL to produce a son and keep Juana and Philip from inheriting Aragon and his Italian possessions.

Unless he wants to risk offending Manuel by depriving him of Aragon, that is.

He's on much better terms with this (triple) son-in-law than he was with Philip. Admittedly Manuel and his first wife Isabel were heirs to Castile-Aragon for only a short period following Juan's death, differences could have risen in the future, but I find it unlikely.

But if Germaine is widowed early like Catherine, where could she remarry?

If I recall correctly, Arthur died after he and Katherine both got sick after they had gotten married somewhere in the West Country or in Wales. With no marriage to Katherine here, Arthur doesn't end up in a situation where he gets sick in the first place.

The potential of a real rivalry between Manuel of Portugal and Ferdinand of Aragon is glorious, lmao. Two of the most intelligent, ruthless and greatest rulers of the modern period, butting heads. Manuel would have a much easier time projecting power to Castille so he wouldn't need to cede so much to Ferdinand or anything at all, unlike Philip - which would probably make him very angry.

The potential of a real rivalry between Manuel of Portugal and Ferdinand of Aragon is glorious, lmao. Two of the most intelligent, ruthless and greatest rulers of the modern period, butting heads. Manuel would have a much easier time projecting power to Castille so he wouldn't need to cede so much to Ferdinand or anything at all, unlike Philip - which would probably make him very angry.
Very good point!! I would love to see this! Though this also could happen with a surviving Isabella

Why would Manuel and Ferdinand have a rivalry ?