In 363, the Roman Emperor Julian the Apostate attempted to rebuild the Jewish Temple, likely at least partially as part of his efforts to reverse Constantine's Christianization campaign. However, the outbreak of fires forced the project's cancellation, and Christianity reasserted control over the Empire after Julian's death in battle later that year, ending the opportunity to rebuild the Temple.

But what if the project had been successful? What impact would it have on Rome? How would it affect Judaism and other religions?

Within days of his death, a Christian mob would sack it, I am afraid.
It depends how long he lives if he dies like in otl i could see that happening but it could still shake Christian faith or they will create some kinda excuse.

Philip

Donor
The Jewish leadership was not onboard with the plan. Jewish law does not look favorably on a Gentle-built temple. Messianic expectations of the time would likely expect a reestablishment of the Kingdom prior to or with the temple. That's not going to work with Julian's plan.

The Jewish leadership was not onboard with the plan. Jewish law does not look favorably on a Gentle-built temple. Messianic expectations of the time would likely expect a reestablishment of the Kingdom prior to or with the temple. That's not going to work with Julian's plan.

Are you sure? IIRC, the Bar Kokhba revolt was sparked partially by Hadrian going back on a promise to rebuild the Temple. Or am I mistaken?

Philip

Donor
Are you sure? IIRC, the Bar Kokhba revolt was sparked partially by Hadrian going back on a promise to rebuild the Temple. Or am I mistaken?

Things change.

At the time of Bar Kokhba, the Temple was a recent memory. Some of the Jewish leaders would have had parents that worshipped in it. Roman Judea existed as a province and was largely Jewish.

Jump ahead to Julian. The Temple has been gone for nearly 300 years --- about ten generations and four times the length of the Babylon Exile. Judea has not existed as a political entry for more than 200 years. The Mishnah has solidified rabbinical thought, and the synagogue has completely replaced (rather than supplemented) the temple as the center of Jewish life and learning.

Last edited:
Within days of his death, a Christian mob would sack it, I am afraid.

Christians were a majority but a fragile one in the 360s and one based on political fashionablity first and formost.

Religious Roma's core tennent after all was, if something being done religiously works keep on doing it. What Constantine favored Christianity and things seemed to be going well, people who wanted to get ahead became Christians. Same with people who believe because the Emperor is doing it and it seems to be working, it must be good with the Divine. This is very different from today and most alien to us. If Mitt Romney had been elected President, 40% of Americans wouldn't be looking to convert to Mormanism, for example.

If Julian ruled for 15-20 years and the gods seem to favor him, a lot of nominal Christians will be honoring the Gods again.

That's why Christians weren't able to go around destroying other peoples holy sights with impunity yet. That would only start in the 380s as Christian faith became deeper. But the 360s, in comparison, the Christian hold seemed a mile wide and an inch deep.

I think Jews, dealing with a built temple, while resisting at first, might warm to it over time and come up with whatever theological reason to justify it. People are flexible like that.

Christians were a majority but a fragile one in the 360s and one based on political fashionablity first and formost.

Religious Roma's core tennent after all was, if something being done religiously works keep on doing it. What Constantine favored Christianity and things seemed to be going well, people who wanted to get ahead became Christians. Same with people who believe because the Emperor is doing it and it seems to be working, it must be good with the Divine. This is very different from today and most alien to us. If Mitt Romney had been elected President, 40% of Americans wouldn't be looking to convert to Mormanism, for example.

If Julian ruled for 15-20 years and the gods seem to favor him, a lot of nominal Christians will be honoring the Gods again.

That's why Christians weren't able to go around destroying other peoples holy sights with impunity yet. That would only start in the 380s as Christian faith became deeper. But the 360s, in comparison, the Christian hold seemed a mile wide and an inch deep.

I think Jews, dealing with a built temple, while resisting at first, might warm to it over time and come up with whatever theological reason to justify it. People are flexible like that.

Or it could become superfluous--Temple-related mitzvot are still performed but the purpose of the Temple is still replaced by the Synagogues.