WI: Joseph Bonaparte Had A Son?

By that I mean a legitimate one, since even among his documented bastard offspring I can only find ONE boy (born in Naples in 1807 to Maria Giulia Colonna).

Joseph saw himself as Napoléon's legitimate successor, and refused the offer of the Crown of Italy because he hoped to succeed Napoléon in France. One problem, Napoléon never seems to have regarded Joseph in this light. I've never been able to figure out if this was because Joe had no son to follow him, or if it had to do with Joseph being the co-leader of the "bash Josèphine" brigade (alongside Madame Mère). Perhaps it had to do with the fact that Joseph was the one who was nagging Napoléon to divorce Josèphine (when he returned from Egypt, before he became emperor etc) in order to sire a son - something Joe himself had clearly failed in.

Either way, say Joseph HAS a son by Julie Clary. The Clarys and Beauharnaises seem to have gotten on reasonably well - two of Julie's relatives married Beauharnais or Tascher de la Pagerie cousins OTL - and beyond Julie's complaint about bearing Josèphine's train at the coronation, I can't find anything about what the two women's relationship was like. What I do know was that Joseph wasn't exactly the paternal type, since it was Julie who raised Charlotte and Zénaïde. And the couple seem to have lived apart for most of the First Empire's duration.

So, how would the birth of Prince Charles François Napoléon Jules affect things? If at all? Would Joe be more involved with his son than what he was with his girls? Would Napoléon see the boy as his heir? Or would Louis' sons still be regarded as Napoléon's heirs? And how would Napoléon's nephew affect his dad and uncle's relationship? For instance, would Napoléon insist on posting Joe to Naples/Madrid and keeping the boy in Paris to be educated? Or would the boy be taken along to whichever crown his dad's wearing today?

PS: For the sake of sanity, let's keep everything else until 1810 more-or-less as OTL (with regards to births, marriages and deaths in the Bonaparte family)

Would Joseph (in lieu of inspiring his brother to get a divorce before the coronation) be able to persuade Napoléon to nominate his nephew as heir? And I know I said that we should keep marriages until 1810 the same, but if he HAS an "heir" would Napoléon still encourage the Louis-Hortense marriage? OTL when they wed, Napoléon had no nephews yet, so if this boy were perhaps Joseph's eldest daughter (Julie Josèphine, b.1796, d.1797) born male, he'd be 6yo by the time of Louis-Hortense's marriage, and 8yo at the coronation.

Napoleon would be always against Jerome’s first wedding and Lucien’s second but a son of Joseph would likely butterflying the wedding of Louis and Hortense (who was a bad idea from the start) as the place of Napoleon’s heir presuntive was already taken and so Napoleon will marry his stepdaughter to one of his trusted officer, like her cousin Emilié (who had married Antoine Lavallette). I can see instead Charles engaged to a Beauharnais’ girl (likely the ATL eldest daughter of Hortense or Joséphine de Lavallette (born 1802) or an ATL elder sister of the latter as Eugène married much later).
Maybe what can change is Napoleon’s determination to refute the second wedding of Lucien if Louis, Eugene and Jerome are all married in some European royal family... Maybe Napoleon and Lucien will be able to get an agreement who consent to the latter to stay with Alexandrine and legitimize their children (in France only as that was the only place in which they were not legitimate) remarrying her in France...

Plus if/when Joseph’s son will not be needed as heir and/or engaged to a relative of Joséphine) he can be engaged to some European princess

Last edited:
stepdaughter to one of his trusted officer, like her cousin Emilié (who had married Antoine Lavallette). I can see instead Charles engaged to a Beauharnais’ girl (

No foreign match like Stéphanies Tascher de la Pagerie and Beauharnais for Hortense then? Seems a bit like Marie Louise d'Orléans comment to Louis XIV when he told her "I couldn't do more if you were my own daughter" and she responded, "Yes, sire, but you could've done more for your niece" in reverse.

No foreign match like Stéphanies Tascher de la Pagerie and Beauharnais for Hortense then? Seems a bit like Marie Louise d'Orléans comment to Louis XIV when he told her "I couldn't do more if you were my own daughter" and she responded, "Yes, sire, but you could've done more for your niece" in reverse.
Hortense is too old for being married in their same timeframe so a match like that of her cousin is the most likely choice. In 1800/1802 one of his most trusted officer is the most logical choice for Napoleon.

Last edited:
Hortense is too old for being married in their same timeframe so a match like that of her cousin is the most likely choice. In 1800/1802 one of his most trusted officer is the most logical choice for Napoleon.

Makes sense that Napoléon would marry her differently.
So where might Louis marry then? If Lucien's unavailable/unwilling will Nap marry Louis to the dowager queen of Etruria or Maria Amelia of Naples (like he tried for Lucien and Eugène)

Makes sense that Napoléon would marry her differently.
So where might Louis marry then? If Lucien's unavailable/unwilling will Nap marry Louis to the dowager queen of Etruria or Maria Amelia of Naples (like he tried for Lucien and Eugène)
Maria Amelia of Naples will be impossible as her mother was against the match to Eugene and her father also was not in favour of it and with Louis as proposed husband their reaction would be worst, but the dowager queen of Etruria is a very good candidate and likely to be proposed for Louis from the start (so maybe in this ATL the worst part of the feud between Napoleon and Lucien about the latter wedding with Alexandrine will not happen)

Maria Amelia of Naples will be impossible as her mother was against the match to Eugene and her father also was not in favour of it and with Louis as proposed husband their reaction would be worst, but the dowager queen of Etruria is a very good candidate and likely to be proposed for Louis from the start (so maybe in this ATL the worst part of the feud between Napoleon and Lucien about the latter wedding with Alexandrine will not happen)

What sort of role would a Lucien who isn't on the outs with Napoléon play in the Enpire? Would he get a crown like the rest of his ungrateful siblings? Where? Or would he and Napoléon's terse relationship preclude any of this?

What sort of role would a Lucien who isn't on the outs with Napoléon play in the Enpire? Would he get a crown like the rest of his ungrateful siblings? Where? Or would he and Napoléon's terse relationship preclude any of this?
I can not see either Napoleon giving a crown to Lucien or the latter accepting it but I suppose who maybe Lucien will have some kind of role in the government or as ambassador and will be a full member of the Imperial family (together with his wife and all his children). In this scenario likely Lucien’s daughters by Christine will be both married in the European royalty (the eldest to Ferdinand VII of Spain). An important title without anything to rule for Lucien is more likely than anything else

If Louis winds up with the Dowager queen of Etruria would he still be sent to Holland as king? Napoléon was conscious enough to know that when the Spanish crown fell vacant, Jérôme for a possible king was out (because the Spanish would never accept a Protestant queen). So would the queen of Etruria's Spanish heritage exclude Louis from being used as a Dutch king in similar fashion? And if Louis were to, say wind up in Italy instead, who would get the Dutch crown?

As to Lucien getting nothing, I'm not so sure. After Napoléon offered the Italian crown to Joseph, who refused, Lucien was next on the list (with the marriage to the queen of Etruria as part of the bargain). Then the marriage to Alexandrine happened and we all know the rest of that story. Napoléon phrased it in his memoirs that "HE had refused Lucien permission to marry the queen and Lucien had responded by marrying a whore [Alexandrine]".

If Louis winds up with the Dowager queen of Etruria would he still be sent to Holland as king? Napoléon was conscious enough to know that when the Spanish crown fell vacant, Jérôme for a possible king was out (because the Spanish would never accept a Protestant queen). So would the queen of Etruria's Spanish heritage exclude Louis from being used as a Dutch king in similar fashion? And if Louis were to, say wind up in Italy instead, who would get the Dutch crown?

As to Lucien getting nothing, I'm not so sure. After Napoléon offered the Italian crown to Joseph, who refused, Lucien was next on the list (with the marriage to the queen of Etruria as part of the bargain). Then the marriage to Alexandrine happened and we all know the rest of that story. Napoléon phrased it in his memoirs that "HE had refused Lucien permission to marry the queen and Lucien had responded by marrying a whore [Alexandrine]".
Well that was more Lucien not accepting anything...
I think Louis here will likely get Italy or maybe Naples a little later as Joseph will stay in France...
Spain will stay out of the Bonaparte’s reach as Ferdinand VII will replace his father marrying Charlotte Bonaparte (Lucien’s eldest daughter) but maybe it will be replaced by Portugal?

Louis here will have a good chance to get Italy (or he will get Tuscany/Etruria first and then Naples while Italy will go to Eugène as OTL and I think the latter is more likely)...
Holland here can go to Eugène (if Louis get Italy) or Murat (Hortense’s husband or a surviving Leclerc also can be considered)

Napoléon will not like at all Lucien and Jerome’s weddings so they will not have anything (at least until Napoleon accepted Alexandrine and Jerome get an annulment) so Jerome will have Westphalia as OTL and Lucien maybe will get Portugal...

But I think Louis as the King of the kingdoms would be fun (Etruria/Naples/Portugal) so either Lucien or Murat will replace him in Naples...

About Hortense I was thinking why do not let her marry twice? First around 1800 as stepdaughter of the First Consul to one of trusted men then around 1806 remarrying to the Gran-Duke of Würzburg (who Napoleon thinked as possible husband for either Charlotte or Christine aka Lucien’s daughters by his first wife)... Hortense would be only 23 in 1806 and marrying her to the widowed brother of the Emperor a great coup for Napoleon... In that case Hortense would be forced to left in Paris any child she had from her first husband (maybe a daughter called Joséphine and engaged to Charles Bonaparte? If Hortense had not a daughter or children then Charles’ fiancé would be Joséphine de Lavalette, Emilié’s daughter ) in the care of her mother or brother...
If Napoleon married Marie Louise as OTL Charles also would be given some lands and maybe engaged to some princess...

That would put us with this list of weddings as Napoleon’s great successes around 1810:
Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria as Napoleon’s second wife
Princess Augusta of Bavaria as wife of Eugene
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, Gran Duke of Würzburg as second husband of Hortense
Hereditary granduke Charles of Baden as husband of Stéphanie de Behaurnais
Ferdinand VII, King of Spain as husband of Charlotte Philistine Bonaparte
Princess Marie Louise of Spain, Dowager Queen of Etruria as bride of Louis Bonaparte
Princess Katharina of Württemberg as second wife of Jerome

Plus Pauline married to Camillo Borghese

That would put us with this list of weddings as Napoleon’s great successes around 1810:
Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria as Napoleon’s second wife
Princess Augusta of Bavaria as wife of Eugene
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, Gran Duke of Würzburg as second husband of Hortense
Hereditary granduke Charles of Baden as husband of Stéphanie de Behaurnais
Ferdinand VII, King of Spain as husband of Charlotte Philistine Bonaparte
Princess Marie Louise of Spain, Dowager Queen of Etruria as bride of Louis Bonaparte
Princess Katharina of Württemberg as second wife of Jerome

Plus Pauline married to Camillo Borghese

I like your idea of Leclerc surviving (perhaps his son, too). As I do the idea of little half-Beauharnais archdukes running around by 1810.

I wonder if with the web of marriages outlined above the Empire would - not necessarily survive any better - be better connected and able to avoid some problems (notably no Spanish ulcer - although I'm not sure Portugal would be shorn away, since Napoléon promised it to Junot, Godoy and the duke of Parma OTL IIRC, and in the end scrapped the idea).

I wonder where Elisa will wind up if Louis gets Etruria - she probably won't have any better relations with the queen as her sister-in-law than she did OTL.

I like your idea of Leclerc surviving (perhaps his son, too). As I do the idea of little half-Beauharnais archdukes running around by 1810.

I wonder if with the web of marriages outlined above the Empire would - not necessarily survive any better - be better connected and able to avoid some problems (notably no Spanish ulcer - although I'm not sure Portugal would be shorn away, since Napoléon promised it to Junot, Godoy and the duke of Parma OTL IIRC, and in the end scrapped the idea).

I wonder where Elisa will wind up if Louis gets Etruria - she probably won't have any better relations with the queen as her sister-in-law than she did OTL.
Well Elisa will get Etruria when Louis will get Naples... And then Lucien or Murat get Naples when Louis will get Portugal...
And if we want a Leclerc survive scenario maybe he will get Netherlands and the spedition to Haiti will be lead by Hortense’s new husband (who will die there) and not by him...
Or Elisa will get Guastalla and Tuscany will go to Murat and Caroline