WI: John Pym and/or John Hampden lives on

VVD0D95

Banned
I am quite confident that it would not be worse than the way they reacted to his fucking public execution IOTL. They would not even know what happened.

If word gets out that the King died on his way over, people will start whispering, whispers will grow into rumours and sometimes rumours become believed truth. At least that's my two cents.

Thomas1195

Banned
Until one or both dies or gets power hungry
Unless they die too early, they should be able to stabilize the repubic within the first 5-10 years - after all, the fundamentals are already better from the beginning ITTL (Btw, my assumption at the beginning is that they would live at least until 1654). Foreign policy ITTL would very likely be more pragmatic, less religious and less aggressive - so no Spanish War right after Dutch War - this would give the Commonwealth more peace time and thus make it more stable.

As for power-hungry thing, the fact that they were mostly civilian politicians means that their window of opportunity for power grabbing would be far more limited than Cromwell.

Thomas1195

Banned
If word gets out that the King died on his way over, people will start whispering, whispers will grow into rumours and sometimes rumours become believed truth. At least that's my two cents.
Technically they would not commit regicide if they abandon him in a wild and uninhabited island/region. He would be a Robinson Crusoe but likely without the character's survival skills, which means he would be dead anyway.