WI: John of Gaunt Has More Kids With Constance of Castile?

krieger

Banned
An Angevin match is unlikely. The anti-Aragonese party wanted to marry her to Giovan' Galeazzo Visconti.

@The Undead Martyr

Is there reason why is it unlikely? But Gian Galeazzo also seems decent as a candidate for husband for Mary, or she could marry Richard II himself.

Either she dies in prison or is married to Ladislaus, son of Charles of Durazzo.

What's wrong with marriage with Edward of York?
For Mary of Bohun? Nothing... only they need to take her away from Gloucester (who wanted her in convent for taking the whole inheritance of his father-in-law for himself).
John in OTL has done it, I am not sure Edmund will do it

Last edited:

krieger

Banned
For Mary of Bohun? Nothing... only they need to take her away from Gloucester (who wanted her in convent for taking the whole inheritance of his father-in-law for himself).
John in OTL has done it, I am not sure Edmund will do it

If John was able to do so, why Edmund wouldn't be?

I don't think that the French are going to surrender.
Any way to free him up from his obligations in Aquitaine?
The French won't surrender, but if Edward, the Black Prince, stays healthy (perhaps Edward of Angouleme doesn't die TTL, which some say was a major cause of his father's decline...), it may be that Gaunt's presence in Aquitaine isn't quite so necessary.

Or you change Gaunt's personality a tad and make him more self-serving and less loyal to his father and brother. He put his Spanish ambitions aside for the sake of the English ambitions in France more than once. Maybe here, with a half-Spanish son's rights to fight for, he decides not to do that - possibly at the expense of Gascony or something, but then, surely having a son on the Castillian throne is worth losing a French region for...

The French won't surrender, but if Edward, the Black Prince, stays healthy (perhaps Edward of Angouleme doesn't die TTL, which some say was a major cause of his father's decline...), it may be that Gaunt's presence in Aquitaine isn't quite so necessary.

Then he has to fight a kingdom that it's recovering from two wars and a nobility whose lands and position come from supporting Enrique II against Pedro I. Good luck with that,

That will leave his OTL wife either to the convent to which Thomas of Gloucester (husband of her elder sister) wanted consign her or married to Edward of York, three years younger than her
Actually Bolingbroke marrying Maria of Sicily will be good for everyone as he will not usurp his Cousin.

Last edited:
Question on marriages:

If Katherine is marrying the Aragonese infante here, and I'm assuming that Philippa of Lancaster's Portuguese marriage precludes one of Katherine's brothers wedding Brites of Portugal (as Richard II proposed for their double first cousin, Edward of Norwich), that leaves the following people with no chair:
Maria of Sicily (possibly marries Visconti if a Barcelonid is unavailable)
Katherine's full brothers (I imagine Peter will wed in England, but Edward might wed abroad
Enrique III of Castile.

On another note, there WAS a plan at a point (ICR EXACT dates ATM to wed Elizabeth of Lancaster to Charles VI of France). Could Katherine be requested by the French instead?

Question on marriages:

If Katherine is marrying the Aragonese infante here, and I'm assuming that Philippa of Lancaster's Portuguese marriage precludes one of Katherine's brothers wedding Brites of Portugal (as Richard II proposed for their double first cousin, Edward of Norwich), that leaves the following people with no chair:
Maria of Sicily (possibly marries Visconti if a Barcelonid is unavailable)
Katherine's full brothers (I imagine Peter will wed in England, but Edward might wed abroad
Enrique III of Castile.

On another note, there WAS a plan at a point (ICR EXACT dates ATM to wed Elizabeth of Lancaster to Charles VI of France). Could Katherine be requested by the French instead?
I think Maria could marry Bolingbroke here...and Elizabeth of Lancaster could marry Charles VI of France...