WI Jesus was handed over to the emperor and executed in Rome?

Suppose Pilate decided that the Jesus Christ problem was too big of a problem for him(not likely but not ASB) to decide and instead sent Jesus to his superiors in Rome where they confirmed the decision to kill him, how would that impact Christianity and the impact on politics? Rome is likely to be a much more sacred territory in this timeline, basically overtaking Jerusalem’s OTL role.I think the Romans may potentially have a much more difficult time shifting the blame of killing Jesus to the Jews, but I still see it as possible. I also think that subsequent Christian emperors, if they still happen, may not be able to move the capital out of Rome due to the added holiness of the city. I also think that the Patriarch of Rome might also have much higher authority than OTL over the rest of the patriarchates.

Last edited:
Hah! Thats fun, I actually thought that was what actually happened as a kid because when I saw a recreation of Jesus's last days Pilate was dressed so well I thought he was the Emperor

I can imagine that the time and travel it would take for him to go from Judea to Rome would feature a lot of Exodus analogies on the gospels.

Will Jesus preach during the trip, that might plant some early seeds in places?
What would the route be? I know one early Christian was taken to Rome for execution, but can't recall who.

Will the story of his execution make it back to his followers, or be completely made up later?
The whole part about the tomb and rising from the dead will be different, or part of the miracle will include traveling from Rome to Judea.

Will Jesus preach during the trip, that might plant some early seeds in places?
What would the route be? I know one early Christian was taken to Rome for execution, but can't recall who.

Will the story of his execution make it back to his followers, or be completely made up later?
The whole part about the tomb and rising from the dead will be different, or part of the miracle will include traveling from Rome to Judea.
That is Paul,the reported first pope.
Edit: Peter was first pope.

Last edited:
It turns out I was thinking of Ignatius
Unfortunately, the bit about the route he took is vague.

He was allowed to preach and send letters, which seems really lax security.
I assume Jesus would have the same kind of lax security, since Christianity isn't a threat yet.

No lightsaber duels, which is where my head went.

Outside his cultural context, he's probably just another execution, lacking emotional impact.

Just wondering would Jesus still be crucified or would Romans use some other method.

And another intresting thing would be what if Tiberius decides that Jesus is not his problem and allow him live. At this point he didn't anymore care administrative things anyway.

Can Jesus speak Latin in the first place?

No offense to God, but while Aramaic and Hebrew being the native Language of Jews at the time, and Koine Greek being the Lingua Franca... The son of a Carpenter was not expected to learn Latin, unlike Paul who started out as a scholar, and Peter, whom likely learning Latin much later in his life.

No offense to God, but while Aramaic and Hebrew being the native Language of Jews at the time, and Koine Greek being the Lingua Franca... The son of a Carpenter was not expected to learn Latin, unlike Paul who started out as a scholar, and Peter, whom likely learning Latin much later in his life.
U know translators are a thing.

Not impossible that the circumstances surrounding this butterflies Christianity, as well.
Hw? What happens here that necessarily butterflies Christianity?. Like you'll need more than that, being executed by the Emperor for example doesn't make it impossible to still get a Jewish Burial. It was always something up in the air and now, even more up to the discretion of the executioner.

And if its a Crucifixion, nothing changes even if he's not buried in a tomb.

Jesus pretty certainly didn't speak Latin. But that is not problems since there would be someone translating Jesus' speaking to Romans and vice versa.

I really don't see why it would even happen. It would be highly irregular for a governor to refer a criminal to the government in Rome itself for trial, especially someone of (at the time) low note.

And not only would it be highly irregular, but it would actively alienate the whole of the Sanhedrin. The reason why Pilate even acquiesced to the execution of Jesus (in the Gospels) was because it was the Sanhedrin who demanded it. They wanted to have Jesus tried and punished for violating the law, both Jewish and Roman. Should he be shipped off to Rome to face trial, instead of being punished in Jerusalem by the Sanhedrin, it would undermine the whole point of having him executed in the first place. The Roman state would be confused as to why they should be trying a beggar carpenter for claiming he was a king, and the Sanhedrin would be livid that their agency in the punishment of a heretic was taken away by the Romans (like everything else).

One problem with that question: Tiberius would have to leave Capri and the company of his "little fish."
This too, Tiberius by this point was old as dirt and had given up on administration almost entirely. He had completely retired to Capri long before Jesus started his preaching, and something this insignificant would probably not even reach his ears, let alone demand his personal attention.

I really don't see why it would even happen. It would be highly irregular for a governor to refer a criminal to the government in Rome itself for trial, especially someone of (at the time) low note.

And not only would it be highly irregular, but it would actively alienate the whole of the Sanhedrin. The reason why Pilate even acquiesced to the execution of Jesus (in the Gospels) was because it was the Sanhedrin who demanded it. They wanted to have Jesus tried and punished for violating the law, both Jewish and Roman. Should he be shipped off to Rome to face trial, instead of being punished in Jerusalem by the Sanhedrin, it would undermine the whole point of having him executed in the first place. The Roman state would be confused as to why they should be trying a beggar carpenter for claiming he was a king, and the Sanhedrin would be livid that their agency in the punishment of a heretic was taken away by the Romans (like everything else).
Depends on who you ask.Even I don’t personally think it would likely happen or that Pilate was anything but a stereotypical nasty governor.If you ask the Christians though ,many of them actually buy into that wash my hands of blood business.
This too, Tiberius by this point was old as dirt and had given up on administration almost entirely. He had completely retired to Capri long before Jesus started his preaching, and something this insignificant would probably not even reach his ears, let alone demand his personal attention.
I’d imagine one of his proxies,like Sejanus before 31 AD, would do the deed instead.

Last edited: