WI: Japan knocks out China 1938-1941

Well Phx, my posts stand on their merit, lest I post a large bibliography of sources/texts and anecdotal accounts that will likely never get read, and take a while to fully organise. As far as my (generally substantiated/reasoned) opinion goes, I think there is more plausible probability in the IJA being able to overrun China without Navy involvement, than with Navy involvement. The Navy simply wasn't the branch of the armed forces dictating Imperial Japanese policy in the early war phase, and only gained ascendancy as the Army began to quagmire itself in China, and suffered defeat and loss of face in Manchuria.

This is well documented in most official, and non-official sources, and so I can only point to wider reading to help those who doubt my stance in forming their own opinion of events in the early war phase.

& to achieve victory over Chiang AIUI it's necessary to sever the supply routes in, so it'll be sooner, not later, than OTL
Debatable at best, unlikely at worst.

A key crux of the issue is if a sino-japanese conflict starts with Marco Polo Bridge or in another shape or form. It also depends a lot on if the Unitied Chinese Front comes into play, as well as the other warlords reactions. Furthermore there are several large scale butterflies in Chiangs movements himself, and whatever anybody says Kai-Sheik was a driving force that allowed the Chinese to resist as they did.

Starting with the 'closest' perturbation of OTL. Marco Polo Bridge was a bungled chaotic affair that did not initially have the support of the Imperial General HQ. This gave Chaing ample time to mobilise his army and airforce and and counter attack the initial Japanese aggressions about a month later.

Had the Imperial Japanese Army in China gained prior support of 'the incident*' and planned to capitalise on it, they could have gained several early victories in North China, Qingdong and likely Shanghai too, with far less fighting and fewer casualties. This means that the Imperial Japanese Armed forces would have likely been able to march on Nanking before the fall of 1937. Less in number and embittered troops from the fall of Shanghai may have reduced the 'rape of Nanking' as well. Although the acts there cannot be condoned.

We must remember that it takes a fair amount of time into 1938 IOTL before the Imperial General HQ drops the notion of trying to keep this a 'limited conflict', while the Chinese had all but thrown in all the support they were able to muster for the time.

If the battle of Taizhuang(sp?) is a stalemate or minor victory, then that allows a march on Wuhan before it can become consolidated as a strong point for the nationalist army. Indeed, there is a slim but possible chance that Chiang could be captured or killed here depending on the butterflies, although I would not bet on it.

Without that clear victory, by the time the nationalists fall back to Chunking(sp?) there will have been a significant drop of Chinese morale, a big question revolves around if Chiang decides to stick it out against an 'invicible army', if he does, then he is bound to loose politically if he tries anything like his 1939 offensives south china, since if the Battle of Shanghai is less protracted, he will have lost considerably more critical military equipment.

Thus the thread premise...in loose terms.

*replace with 'an incident' as appropriate since this was a modus operandi of the Kwantung Armed forces, and does not in the context of this scenario have to be Beijing.

What about the United Front? Well IOTL both the nationalists and Communists never truly trusted one another, since each were preparing to fight/fighting the other while trying to push back the Japanese. Indeed, by 1938 the Communists were taking full advantage of guerilla forces left behind and taking out declared nationalist supporters in their wake. While in OTL the full breakdown of the union comes around late 1940, that doesn't withstand the fact that the alliance was very uneasy, and large parts of 'free china' fought more for themselves, than for either army.

When considering the PRC in this period, what if Chiang had been murdered in the 'Xi'an Incident', or kept prisoner, such that the United Front never existed in the first place!

If the Japanese only fought the Nationalists (initially), then what if a deal was struck between the Communists and Japanese for those Japanese coastal concessions..of course any such 'deal' is going to break down eventually from ideological factors, but there are a lot of 'what ifs' here that are far more important that Chiangs supply routes.

Chiang’s supply routes only become important in a scenario that runs exactly like OTL, until around late 1939 – mid 1940....at which point it's really for any POD that allows the scenario premise. The Chinese have got their stalemate that cannot be broken.

As far as we can say, the better Imperial Japan does in China, the less they have available to wage war elsewhere. Once the Japanese are committed to the Chinese interior, they are committed to China. IOTL, the Imperial Japanese Army in China was never fully committed to central China, and instead found itself in control of the Coastal and Urban centres of east, south and northern China. While the Nationalists stubbornly fought on and tried to gain international leverage because the war was dragging on...

...If the war itself doesn't drag, then then there is no reason to escalate anything further. Forget victory disease, the IJA has to now occupy a hostile country much larger than Japan, and there are still the Warlords to the North, and possibly west who pose a major threat to any occupation of China.

In this context there is bugger all to be gained from claiming Indochina and enraging more nations. Remember Indochina was the opportunistic small time prise that Imperial Japan could dominate, when it had discovered IOTL that it couldn't dominate China. If you've got the big fish in your mouth, why risk it for another smaller one...? Futhermore, there was significant internal pressure not to escalate things here...Another case of 'freelancing'.

Check back in a day or two. I am constructing an ATL from Mukden to Macro Polo that you can play around with.

1. What is better to equip a fighter plane with cannons or machine guns? Is there any reason a certain plane can't use one or the other? I know the American P-51 used four machine guns and that the Japanese J2M3 Raiden used four 20mm cannons.

2. Could Japan just copy German technology in the long run to modernize their airforce. I know they were using the J8M1 Shusui, which is basically just a copy of the German Me 163.
Hmm...Well I'll give you my opinion on it and discuss levels of plausibility, but I wouldn't 'play around' to suggest this is the only way, or if things are 'wrong' (unless factually/context inaccurate). I believe that this scenario premise requires big changes to policy and borderline 'wank' to make plausible...which is all it could ever be at best...

1. Look at pilot accounts, depends on aircraft role. Miracle equipment will never 'save Imperial Japan' from it's own actions.

2. No. They don't need German aircraft design or doctrine in this period, and it would hurt them to adopt it if they did....plus it would be completely counter to their prior experience of air use, so is unlikely to be accepted anyhow.

Last edited:
ATL: Japanese Foreign Policy from Mukden to Macro Polo Bridge Incident.

Here’s my alternate time line. Inform me if you think anything should be changed or switched.

Japanese Naval Policy from Mukden to Macro Polo Bridge Incident.

1884: Satō Tetsutarō killed at Battle of Yalu River. His naval theories never influence Japan.
1905: Battle of Mukden
1906: Saitō Makoto becomes Navy Minister and does not advocate for naval expansion. He also pushes for friendly relations with Great Britain and the United States; after all he did study in the United States.
1907: Eight-eight fleet not proposed to the Diet of Japan.
1915: Katō Tomosaburō becomes Navy Minister and pushes for Japan to sign Washington Naval treaty.
1914-1918: World War I
1920’s: Imperial Japanese Army starts rapid expansionand gains support from the Japanese business class
1922:Katō Tomosaburō becomes Prime Minister and takes a moderate view.
1921-22: Osami Nagano goes to London Naval conference with an open mind, after having being a military attaché in U.S. does not want to cross western powers. Japan signs Washington Naval Treaty.
1923: Anglo-Japanese Alliance ends
1923: Takarabe Takeshi becomes Navy Minister and pushes for a moderate view on naval expansion.
1927: Keisuke Okada becomes Navy Minister and advocates for Japan to stay in the Washington Naval Treaty. He becomes a leading member of the so called Treaty Faction.
1934: Keisuke Okada becomes Prime Minster of Japan and assures that Japan will not withdraw from Washington Naval Treaty.
1934: Japanese don’t withdraw from Washington naval treaty. The Treaty Faction, Isoroku Yamamoto and Takarabe Takeshiinfluence navy and government to remain in Treaty. Tosei-ha, conservatives, and Fleet Faction diminished in strength. Huge changes in IJN leadership take place Chūichi Nagumo, Sankichi Takahashi and other Fleet enthusiasts go into retirement in 1934-35.
1936: Japan signs Second London Naval Treaty
Yamato Class never built. Imperial Japanese Navy begins to take a back seat role to the Imperial Japanese Army. The main objectives of the Japanese navy at this point are to defend Japanese home waters, deliver supplies to the army and protect merchant shipping. Ties between Britain and Japan revived some what .Yamamoto recommends that Japan should never go to war with U.S., Japanese leadership agrees.
1936: Matome Ugaki becomes leading naval theorist in Japan and advocates staying on the defense and pick off small pieces of the enemies fleet.
1937: Japanese Naval leadership:

Admiral Osami Nagano: Naval Minister
Takarabe Takeshi: Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy General Staff
Admiral Keisuke Okada: Commander-in-chief of the Combined Fleet
Admiral Matome Ugaki: Chief-of-Staff of the Combined Fleet
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto: Commander-in-Chief of the First Air Fleet

1937: Marco Polo Bridge Incident

Last edited:
I think you choose too early PODs, it's really only post 1925 Imperial Japan that needs to be changed, if we go back and start playing with the Japanese Invasion of Korea and its involvement in WWI then things would not likely butterfly to a similar situation as in our time line. I also think that some aspects of that timeline might actually inflate antagonistic attitudes towards the British and Americans, that would be felt in the navy become 'preferred' belligerents to a degree.

Too many butterflies/scenarios, too early.

----------------------------

Tetsutaro is never allowed to visit Britain and learn about the British Empire, then those ideas that he advocated on creation/defence of empire, and sustaining geopolitical position with strength of colonies and a strong navy (IIRC) never get incorporated into Japanese Foreign Policy, this will have a knock on effect on hurting Imperial Japans position vis-a-vis Imperial Russia during the 1904 Russo-Japanese war, and will not allow Imperial Japan the same level of 'attitude thinking' to be applied to it's mainland protectorate.

i.e. the Navy still get viewed as a branch that fights set piece battles, rather than being an all encompassing force that allows Japan to maintain it's mainland holdings.

If the change of doctrine never takes place then Japan will simply lack the right vessels and doctrine that allow it land successes later in history.

Changes to the eight-eight fleet ideal, may result in a much better Imperial Japanese navy come later years, as less funds are spent on the armed forces during Japans early industrial era, but on the otherhand it greatly hurts Imperial Japans international prestige going into the Great War era as Japan will simply not be seen to be 'punching at Great Power weight'.

The knock on effect means that the Washington Treaty is likely to be far less applicable to Japan...indeed, it may even pull out of the treaty citing the fact its navy actual and planned would be rather smaller than other belligerents.

...and in the fallout of the Great War, Imperial Japan will be in an even worse place without being able to force through their will for concessions in Liotung and Qingdong.

This would seriously strain Anglo-Japanese relations, and would much further embitter the Japanese following the Great War making Britain, and America by extension 'hostile powers'.

I would hazard, that this would completely change Japanese focus to putting all their eggs in the navy basket across the 1920s and 1930s, not spending vast sums of money and manpower on expeditions in Manchuria, because they are now 'boxed in' by hostile nations on all fronts, and so Japans avenue is to insure it can fight its strongest enemies and defend what it does own...not much for this POD. And because they have a better industrialisation, smaller concerns and haven't already committed to naval policy, the navy would have everything it need in its favour to take full advantage of the new changes in naval warfare.

Imperial Japan would thus go into WWII with the very attitude against the Alllies, Soviets that may see Japan fighting in the pacific theater only as the Axis powers are more focused against the Allies. Indeed such a situation may even see China enter the Axis powers because of conflict with the Communists and Imperial Japans redirected focus...

It's not about 'nerfing the Japanese navy' hasdrubal barca, it's about getting them to 'leave off' the Army faction and redirect attitudes to expansion in China, rather than Manchuria in the lead up to WWII. We also have to insure that Imperial Japan goes 'militarist' to some degree, otherwise they will not act. On the otherhand, even a conservative Imperial Japan has got a militaristic/expansionist core to it.

-----------------------------------------------

So what about later PODs?

Japan signs Second London Naval Treaty
Yamato Class never built. Imperial Japanese Navy begins to take a back seat role to the Imperial Japanese Army. The main objectives of the Japanese navy at this point are to defend Japanese home waters, deliver supplies to the army and protect merchant shipping. Ties between Britain and Japan revived some what .Yamamoto recommends that Japan should never go to war with U.S., Japanese leadership agrees.

In essence that accomplishes everything, and nothing. If Japan signed the second treaty IOTL, then it would have been far easier for a 'pro-american' camp to form, and thus the idea of not antagonising the US takes prominence. The IJA can capitalise on this to lobby the admiralty to 'leave off'.

The problem is getting that to happen in the first place. While you might be good with some of hte predicents; Nagano, then backed up by Okada, that won't happen if the US or Britain, or France for that matter carries on as they did IOTL. Imperial Japan needs to get much more out of the Great War than it did, this keeps relations good, and with 'less paranoia' it becomes more acceptable that treaties get signed under a more 'global detente'. Perhaps if the British accept to the Race Relations clause, or if Britain accepts Imperial Japans entry into the Great War wholeheartedly and backs Japan through the era.

In such a case Anglo-British relations remain good, and while the US and Japan will still be suspicious of one another, if Britian is a friendly mediator to both, (i.e. retains some of it's 'Splendid Isolation' in a global context), then we set a much better precedent for nations to join the treaties.

Unfortunately, we also have to consider Russia, which becomes the soviet union at the same time, Russian/Soviet Union will want some level of revenge for its earlier defeats, a 'treaty navy' is going to mean that Japan may not as well placed to gain some of its decisive naval victories, although conflict being chaotic cannot be predicted.

If
Tetsutaro never got his ideas through, than the Japanese navy wouldn't even be able to do what is in your quote, it would likely still be set up as a 'battle navy', rather than a 'patrol navy'. In such a case merchant shipping is little, destroyers even less, and it would lack open mindedness to conduct operations at multiple levels for home water defence and maintaining its colonies.

If Russia/Soviet Union hits back at Japan and is successful, then Japan will want to strike back to a degree, or at least maintain a fairly belligerent attitude to Russia, if Russia is beaten well, then again it shows Japan to hold the power in the region.

Possibly a 'treaty navy' achieves the middle ground, a tough fought victory for the Japanese which get's them to 'think twice' about impeaching on Russian/Soviet interests, while at the same time giving them 'complacency' in the geosphere. But it's difficult to say without a strong scenario.

Signing the treaty accomplishes nothing in getting the IJA into being successful in China...which is by far the bigger problem than the navy's involvement in things. If the IJA are successful than the navy even in our time line, are likely to stay out of expanding the conflict.

Anyhow I waffle too much.

Last edited:
Genmotty said:
my posts stand on their merit
When did even hint otherwise?:confused::confused:
Genmotty said:
I think there is more plausible probability in the IJA being able to overrun China without Navy involvement, than with Navy involvement.The Navy simply wasn't the branch of the armed forces dictating Imperial Japanese policy
Did you not read a single word I wrote?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I never so much as hinted IJN was dictating (or even influencing) policy. I never so much as hinted IJA could not achieve victory without IJN aid. It's not about IJN aid or influence on policy. It's about IJN action to prevent losing its share of the damn budget. I don't know how much clearer I can be.:rolleyes:

Here’s my alternate time line. Inform me if you think anything should be changed or switched.

Japanese Naval Policy from Mukden to Macro Polo Bridge Incident.

1884: Satō Tetsutarō killed at Battle of Yalu River. His naval theories never influence Japan.
1905: Battle of Mukden
1906: Saitō Makoto becomes Navy Minister and does not advocate for naval expansion. He also pushes for friendly relations with Great Britain and the United States; after all he did study in the United States.
1907: Eight-eight fleet not proposed to the Diet of Japan.
1915: Katō Tomosaburō becomes Navy Minister and pushes for Japan to sign Washington Naval treaty.
1914-1918: World War I
1920’s: Imperial Japanese Army starts rapid expansionand gains support from the Japanese business class
1922:Katō Tomosaburō becomes Prime Minister and takes a moderate view.
1921-22: Osami Nagano goes to London Naval conference with an open mind, after having being a military attaché in U.S. does not want to cross western powers. Japan signs Washington Naval Treaty.
1923: Anglo-Japanese Alliance ends
1923: Takarabe Takeshi becomes Navy Minister and pushes for a moderate view on naval expansion.
1927: Keisuke Okada becomes Navy Minister and advocates for Japan to stay in the Washington Naval Treaty. He becomes a leading member of the so called Treaty Faction.
1934: Keisuke Okada becomes Prime Minster of Japan and assures that Japan will not withdraw from Washington Naval Treaty.
1934: Japanese don’t withdraw from Washington naval treaty. The Treaty Faction, Isoroku Yamamoto and Takarabe Takeshiinfluence navy and government to remain in Treaty. Tosei-ha, conservatives, and Fleet Faction diminished in strength. Huge changes in IJN leadership take place Chūichi Nagumo, Sankichi Takahashi and other Fleet enthusiasts go into retirement in 1934-35.
1936: Japan signs Second London Naval Treaty
1936: Matome Ugaki becomes leading naval theorist in Japan and advocates staying on the defense and pick off small pieces of the enemies fleet.
1937: Japanese Naval leadership:

Admiral Osami Nagano: Naval Minister
Takarabe Takeshi: Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy General Staff
Admiral Keisuke Okada: Commander-in-chief of the Combined Fleet
Admiral Matome Ugaki: Chief-of-Staff of the Combined Fleet
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto: Commander-in-Chief of the First Air Fleet

1937: Marco Polo Bridge Incident

Neat PT. What is the Marco Polo Bridge Incident? Can we have the same line of thinking but without the treaty and the Yamato-class built (my opinion, just for the sheer satisfaction of having built the greatest battleship ever)

Marco Polo Bridge incident

Neat PT. What is the Marco Polo Bridge Incident? Can we have the same line of thinking but without the treaty and the Yamato-class built (my opinion, just for the sheer satisfaction of having built the greatest battleship ever)

The Marco Polo Bridge incident is the event that started the war between China and Japan in 1937. The facts are disputed, but supposedly the Chinese kidnapped a Japanese solider and soon after that the two sides began to fight.

Stronger Chinese navy

If the Chinese had a stronger navy going into the war what would the implications be? Could it have made the Japanese navy see China as its primary concern instead of the Western powers?

If the Chinese had a stronger navy going into the war what would the implications be? Could it have made the Japanese navy see China as its primary concern instead of the Western powers?

Where would the Chinese get this navy? Where would they base it? The Japanese had a head start on this and China simply did not have the industrial capacity to build, equip and maintain the fleet that would present more than half an hour challenge to the Japanese navy. The bulding of a fleet that would be able to take on IJN on equal terms would take decades.

Where would the Chinese get this navy? Where would they base it? The Japanese had a head start on this and China simply did not have the industrial capacity to build, equip and maintain the fleet that would present more than half an hour challenge to the Japanese navy. The bulding of a fleet that would be able to take on IJN on equal terms would take decades.

Japanese and Chinese navies were on par before First Sino Japanese war. My idea was for them to stay even over the next forty or so years.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
Okay, it's rare that I ever decide to necro-post. (Okay, this is my first time.) But, I do want to ask a few things.

1. From what I've read in the 15 pages of this thread, it's pretty clear that the Japanese could not occupy all of China. Could it be said that the Japanese would not have been able to defeat China due to a lack of resources?

2. If it is possible for the Japanese to defeat the Nationalists and Communist Chinese (which means a moot point if the first question proves true), how much would the Japanese have been able to acquire realistically, and what would this mean for the inevitable Chinese Civil War?

Okay, it's rare that I ever decide to necro-post. (Okay, this is my first time.) But, I do want to ask a few things.

1. From what I've read in the 15 pages of this thread, it's pretty clear that the Japanese could not occupy all of China. Could it be said that the Japanese would not have been able to defeat China due to a lack of resources?

2. If it is possible for the Japanese to defeat the Nationalists and Communist Chinese (which means a moot point if the first question proves true), how much would the Japanese have been able to acquire realistically, and what would this mean for the inevitable Chinese Civil War?

0) this isnt a necro, its only a month old. Or so.
1) basically. If Japan had had any sense whatsover, they could have set a Vichy-oid puppet regime. But no, they had to treat their puppets as basically low level civil servants. If a 'surrender' had been possible they could have had control of much of china. But when the only option was basically to enter slavery, well.. . No country could ompose that on China, let alone a country the size of Japan.

Japanese leaders of the 'China incident' never thought to entirely occupy and administrate all of China. They depended on turning enough Chinese leaders - Warlords who with their small armies would control the population, while the more capable Japanese armies controlled them. In some areas this worked, in others it worked less well, and some not at all.

Absent the Nationalist government of OTL a larger number of the warlords and other Chinese leaders would have been inclined to go along with the Japanese. The educated Chinese knew their history and foreign rulers had come and gone. The decrepit Manchurian had just been ejected thirty years earlier. The Chinese knew it was possible to prosper under a foreign government, and after the Manchus the Republic, the warlords, the Nationalists, and Communists certainly had won no prizes for popular government.

In the longer run Japan would have had to replace or reform its rather incompetent Army administration of occupied territories. Otherwise the Communists and other malcontents would have led the Chinese back to opposition, but for a few years at least if not several decades Japan could have had a fair amount of control over most of China via its Chinese servants.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
Japanese leaders of the 'China incident' never thought to entirely occupy and administrate all of China. They depended on turning enough Chinese leaders - Warlords who with their small armies would control the population, while the more capable Japanese armies controlled them. In some areas this worked, in others it worked less well, and some not at all.

Absent the Nationalist government of OTL a larger number of the warlords and other Chinese leaders would have been inclined to go along with the Japanese. The educated Chinese knew their history and foreign rulers had come and gone. The decrepit Manchurian had just been ejected thirty years earlier. The Chinese knew it was possible to prosper under a foreign government, and after the Manchus the Republic, the warlords, the Nationalists, and Communists certainly had won no prizes for popular government.

In the longer run Japan would have had to replace or reform its rather incompetent Army administration of occupied territories. Otherwise the Communists and other malcontents would have led the Chinese back to opposition, but for a few years at least if not several decades Japan could have had a fair amount of control over most of China via its Chinese servants.

The problem with that though is that the Chinese had distrusted foreign governments if the Manchu Qings, and the Mongolian Yuans were any indication. I don't think the Japanese would be any more popular though. While Japan's administration of occupied territories has been shockingly abysmal (that plus nationalism and at the start of WWII, Nipponification), I don't know if reform would solve the problem of the occupied's malcontent.

I agree with you for the long haul. In the short run the 'war' ends & it takes a while before discontent gels into a popular resistance and longer before a full fledged revolt occurs. The exception would be the Communists in the North west. Japan would have to either find some basis for a temporary accomadation, or continue a military campaign in the Red territory to suppress Maos crowd.

Bottom line is for a few years, perhaps more, Japan would have the illusion of a great empire. The economic benefit/cost calculation is beyond me. Intuition says the China portion of the Empire would over the long haul be a economic drain & Japan would be as bad off economically in 1943 as it had been in 1933. The details would differ, and the effects change in various sectors, but overall I have feeling the empire will be a disappointment for many Japanese.

If and when a full blown revolt does develop in China there will be some support for the Chinese from westerners, and the USSR. The 'Facist' war in Europe is likely to be over by 1945, liberals, romantics, Chinese expatriates, former missionaries, Communists, ect..ect... will be lobbying their governments. Also the Europeans and US businessmen who formerly were in the China trade will be a bit bitter about Japan cutting into their turf and wanting to regain the cash flow they formerly had from China. All this could lead to a Pacific war sometime in the latter 1940s or 1950s.

I
Bottom line is for a few years, perhaps more, Japan would have the illusion of a great empire. The economic benefit/cost calculation is beyond me. Intuition says the China portion of the Empire would over the long haul be a economic drain & Japan would be as bad off economically in 1943 as it had been in 1933. The details would differ, and the effects change in various sectors, but overall I have feeling the empire will be a disappointment for many Japanese.

thanks for restarting the debate :)

Economic drain at first due to Chinese scorched earth policies, but in the long run maybe it can be made profitable. They do control the richest parts of china, but your right that in the early period it will be a drag on them.

thanks again

1. No, that wouldn't be quite accurate to say the Japanese lacked resources.

It would be better to say, having a resistance movement started agains the Japanese, it snowballed to the point where there would have been no way to 'defeat' China without a full out and out occupation.

No country in the world at this time would have had the manpower or equipment for such an occupation.

2. I would hazard that it would be much easier for the Japanese to have made 'peace' with the Nationalists than it would be with the Communists. The Communists were ideologically driven along the lines of a great revolution. Their total reason for being was to drive 'the red revolution'. Hence it's an all or nothing situation for them.

On the otherhand, had the Japanese gone to the Communists and promised them aid in arms, supplies and equipment to win the Civil War, then it may have been a totally different situation whereby the Communists actually 'fight for' Japanese interests in China...albeit under the assumption that once China is Communist and 'united' that they will be able to dictate to the Japanese from a position of strenght.

The critical block to such a move was the fact that Imperial Japans 'enemy' was the Russia...which thus became the Soviet Union. Hence Imperial Japan was 'anti-communist' to the man, because they were also 'anti-russian' to the man. In this sense it wasn't so much that Imperial Japan was anti-socalist, rather that Russia was an enemy who was also socalist, thus by extention socalism was an 'enemy ideology'. Futhermore we can say that the general zietguist in Japan at the time was for 'Conservative Nationalism' with a very strong capital C.

Defeating the Nationalists, basically boils down to breaking the back of the Nationalist Army and/or Chiang Kai-Shek. This is because the Nationalist Army basically represented the authority of the Kuomintang. This could happen under a whole host of possible PODs and is by no means forgone.

Without a strong leadership, then the Communists may gain stronger ground. Kai Shek (or his replacement like Wang Jingwei(possibly?)) is never convinced of the Japanese threat and so 'call a peace' to the Civil War.

In such a case, when the Nationalists get caught at Shanghai via the Japanese and march on Nanking, then the game might be up for the Chinese...

...Of course it depends on which PODs are chosen.

The outcome of a 'disunited China' if we can call it that, likely gives a large region of Northern China from the Manchukuo border to the Yellow River, over to Japanese control as well as direct administration of the Shanghai Peninsular, as well as Qingdao and possibly Guangzhou.

The 'Republic of China' is effectively reduced to a puppet state elsewhere, while the Communists may be pushed back briefly, they will only to continue rebel movements for the foreseeable future acting out of the North-West of China. Hence the Civil War is left unresolved.

A puppet republic of China will be seen as weak, this will give the Communists greater grounds, and within a few years there may be a strong resurgence of the Communists moving against the weak puppet regime in the rest of China.

The butterflies for this depend on Japans reactions.

I would hazard that a 'victory in China' would butterfly away the Pacific War, and any conflict with Russia. China is going to be a heavy sink for manpower, and more importantly like with the Invasion of Manchuria, Japanese Interests need to be protected even where they have not got direct occupation of the puppet state.

So even though the Japanese may have forced the Nationalists to concede, the Japanese Armed forces will still have to (peacefully) occupy much of the urban centres and rail roads in China to protect their prize.

If Manchuria and Korea is anything to go by. The Japanese will adopt a policy of moving in Japanese nationals and Japanese business directly into these areas. While this won't sit well with the populace, on the other hand it will represent fairly rapid industrialisation of certain areas. Hence while there will be a short term hate that the communists can foster, longer term the average Chinese may not see Imperial Japanese interests as being 'that bad' although it may depend a lot on how the Japanese Army goes about its business. Any 'Rape of Nanking' type actions would considerably undermine such efforts. However I would hazard that this is far from likely to happen if China is effectively defeated from a short conflict.

Thus we have a situation where we have to weigh up the consolidation of Communist China, to Japanese-China and how persuasive 'revolutionary guerilla actions' can be at upsetting Japanese interests in China.

I might argue that during the actual WWII years the Communists won't be very effective at all, however as we move into the late 1940s and early 1950s China really will be the battleground of ideologies. If we thought Korea was a debacle, China will be an even greater one...

...This is because it will have large parallels with Viet Nam as well. Japan is hardly likely going to want to accept 'Allied forces' to help prevent the spread of communism, that may likely grow, yet at the same time won't be powerful enough to stop it. The long border as well will represent massive concerns and depending on the fallout of WWII without the Pacific Theatre can 'the allies' do anything to help prevent the collapse of China and its movement to Communism?

This is a far worse fate for China in many respects than we could hope to wish on a country, should conflict become open warfare...even worse...

Anyhow I ramble.

Realistically I would hazard it was possible for Imperial Japan to have 'conquered' China in the 1930s - 1940s period, but it does revolve around changing a fair bit of historical events to do so, these thus having major knock on effects as we enter the Cold War era. As our timeline goes, it would have been far too late via 1938 to really change the situation as it would develop. But like all timelines, if you leave the POD late, then there is much less flexibility in changing history.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
But how profitable would it be? Its true that China has always had their economic strength along the coast, and has hardly ever developed the country's interior. But what's not to say that their would not be a strong insurgency targeting these industries?

Now, I'm not saying that Japan would not reap the benefits of profiting from Japanese industries, it's just going to be one painful insurgency though.

But how profitable would it be? Its true that China has always had their economic strength along the coast, and has hardly ever developed the country's interior. But what's not to say that their would not be a strong insurgency targeting these industries?

Now, I'm not saying that Japan would not reap the benefits of profiting from Japanese industries, it's just going to be one painful insurgency though.

yeah i agree, the insurgents would make things difficult. Like i said in one of these dozens pages i think the only way Japan could combat the insurgency is to get a good number of loyal collaborators that can take the brunt of the counter insurgency role. Maybe after the Nationalists are defeated, the Japanesse can get enough of them to join up to keep the Communists at bay.

Help

Hi everyone I need some help

I was just looking at a new book I got and it said that an average Japanese division’s, 1941 era, transportation included 50 trucks, 250 carts and 2,700 horses. I was wondering is this adequate or not?

Source WWII Stats and Facts by Peter Darman

50 trucks for 30,000 men is not enough and the other world powers except for Russia before the lend lease had more