WI: James Beck didn't die?

In 1973 Dad's Army actor James Beck (played Private Walker) died of a stomach ulcer.

What if this didn't happen? How would it affect future series of Dad's Army, as well as the actor's future career?

There'd be a part of me that isn't always sad whenever I watch Dad's Army. Beck's portrayal of Walker was charming, nuanced and genuinely one of the standouts of the show. He was a great comic actor and I've no doubt that had he not had his health problems he'd've gone on to be a stalwart of the British comedy on stage and screen.

I don't think it would change the overall story arc of Dad's Army, though, as the show never really had one. You'd get a few more Walker-centric episodes, for sure, and he'd have some memorable scenes getting things together for Jones' wedding in 'Never Too Old' (the Finale) but I don't see a massive change.

As for his own career, I don't know enough to guess where he'd end up. Ian Lavender (the only other cast member close to his age) had a relatively modest career on TV but I believe remained a strong stage actor and appeared on EastEnders in the early 2000s. Beck would have been a recognisable figure and could have done similar, or for all we know might have retired to a quiet life of royalty checks, chat shows and memoirs.

Either way, the only thing we can say for sure is that Dad's Army would have been that little bit closer to perfection. RIP James Beck, we lost you too soon.

There'd be a part of me that isn't always sad whenever I watch Dad's Army. Beck's portrayal of Walker was charming, nuanced and genuinely one of the standouts of the show. He was a great comic actor and I've no doubt that had he not had his health problems he'd've gone on to be a stalwart of the British comedy on stage and screen.

I don't think it would change the overall story arc of Dad's Army, though, as the show never really had one. You'd get a few more Walker-centric episodes, for sure, and he'd have some memorable scenes getting things together for Jones' wedding in 'Never Too Old' (the Finale) but I don't see a massive change.

As for his own career, I don't know enough to guess where he'd end up. Ian Lavender (the only other cast member close to his age) had a relatively modest career on TV but I believe remained a strong stage actor and appeared on EastEnders in the early 2000s. Beck would have been a recognisable figure and could have done similar, or for all we know might have retired to a quiet life of royalty checks, chat shows and memoirs.

Either way, the only thing we can say for sure is that Dad's Army would have been that little bit closer to perfection. RIP James Beck, we lost you too soon.

I agree with everything you say about him. I think some of the later episodes lacked some character compared with the earlier ones (which is to be expected of course!). I especially feel sad when I watch later episodes, in which he doesn't get mentioned or referred to once, but we still always see him in the final scene in the credits which show them all charging across the field.

If he was still alive today he'd be 82 this year (born 1929).

ah Private Walker...his death really shook up the cast and you can see it in their faces in the episode made directly afterwards when Mainwaring has to read 'that note' -how they got through that scene I just don't know! My fantasy platoon would of course include Mr Beck and I would also add in Pvt Cheeseman as he would/could have become an excellent foil/double act to Cpl Jones. I'd also throw in more jibes from Capt Colonel Square as Mainwarings nemesis.....

He and Gareth Hunt (post New Avengers) could have starred together in a show, maybe produced (or written) with Brian Clemens? A spin off from The Professionals maybe? (introduced over a two parter and then spun off like NCIS was from JAG)?:D