OTL Israel isn’t really a ‘sporting nation’ as such, neither its teams nor its players particularly well-known internationally. But what if in some ATL cricket had somehow managed to establish itself as the main (default) sport that Israel became relatively good at?

OTL Israel Cricket
Cricket isn’t exactly an alien sport to Israel so this isn’t ASB. It does have a relatively long history in the country. Israel joined the ICC in 1974. Its first international 50-over game was against the USA in 1979. Since then the nation has participated in 7 World Cup qualifiers (50-overs game) though the ICC Trophy never qualified. Its OTL involvement hasn’t been without controversy. In 1974 Pakistan was the only nation that opposed Israel joining the ICC. In the 90s participation in World Cup qualifiers in Malaysia caused friction with Islamic parties (Malaysia doesn’t recognize the State of Israel). Even its 2006 qualifiers were met with protests due to the Gaza War. Israel played its first international on home soil in 2007 and their first T20 in 2022.

ATL
What if for whatever reason Israel winds up focussing on Cricket as a main sport. There could be 2 timelines for this:

Early entry into the game
By the time the 1975 World Cup is played, Israel can put out a decent enough team that could potentially get invited to the tournament in England. Pakistan protests its ICC membership and either (like South Africa) the invitation is withheld to Israel or Pakistan refuses to show up to the tournament. Or both participate and are kept in separate groups, the organisers hoping they don’t meet in the knockout stages. Or Pakistan gets suspended. No idea how it would it would all play out!

By 1979 Israel cannot continue to be shut out. Allowed to participate in the ICC Trophy they end up winning the tournament thus qualifying for a berth at the World Cup in England. So at this point does the ICC decide to suspend its membership or does the ICC suspends Pakistan’s (and Bangladesh’s membership) for disrupting the game?

Late entry into the game
Israel's course follows Bangladesh, Ireland and the Netherlands as late arrivals to the game. Its only in the 2000s that Israeli cricket starts getting noticed. Israel qualify for the 2003 Cricket World Cup through the ICC Trophy, and on and off for subsequent World Cups and T20s doing modestly well while playing some entertaining cricket and producing a few shocks along the way (the odd win against England, NZ etc).

Yet even a late entry will pose problems. Now you not only Pakistan but also Bangladesh, Afghanistan, the UAE, Oman who are playing cricket as well as a large number of South Asian heritage players in various international teams who will refuse to play against Israel. And on top of this non-Asian nations may protest or boycott Israeli cricket in periods where Israel is seen as starting a war of aggression (i.e. Gaza).

How will the ICC cope with the potentially disastrous butterflies of having Israel becoming a cricketing nation?

How will a successful Israel team alter the dynamics of World cricket?

Will the ICC come to a decision to somehow suspend Israel to avoid all future complications?

Or suspend Pakistan indefinitely (and any other country that refuses to play Israel) thus resulting in Pakistan leaving cricket forever and focussing on other sports such as Hockey, Squash?

Or can a middle ground be reached where both are ICC members but Pakistan are allowed to forfeit any game where they come up against Israel?

Or will having such early contact with Israel and Pakistan mean sporting compromises will have to be made (both agree to play each other despite politics) thus paving the way for unique cultural exchanges/interactions unheard of in OTL?

Last edited:
Well seeing as Pakistan had left the Commonwealth in 1972, I'd imagine the Commonweslth nations would tell Pakistan good luck.

Also this ignores that Israel had just qualified for the world cup of football in 1970 - so good luck telling them at this time that they arent a sporting nation

Well seeing as Pakistan had left the Commonwealth in 1972, I'd imagine the Commonweslth nations would tell Pakistan good luck.
Would this kill the game off in Pakistan entirely or would you still get Pakistanis playing cricket without ever being able to compete at the international level?

I think in this scenario Israel might go on to become a mainstay in the game and win a World Cup or two considering the many different domestic nationalities their nation will be able to draw from.

Would this kill the game off in Pakistan entirely or would you still get Pakistanis playing cricket without ever being able to compete at the international level?

I think in this scenario Israel might go on to become a mainstay in the game and win a World Cup or two considering the many different domestic nationalities their nation will be able to draw from.
Well, I dont know that much about Pakistan. But I would imagine it would take some monumental PODs to make cricket less popular.

I'm curious as to the quality of the Israeli team. Its not really a popular sport in Eastern Europe or North Africa...where would the cricketers come from?

I'm curious as to the quality of the Israeli team. Its not really a popular sport in Eastern Europe or North Africa...where would the cricketers come from?

You'll naturally start getting Israelis of all ethnicities playing cricket once it becomes the country's main sport. That's how it usually works with these things.

You'll naturally start getting Israelis of all ethnicities playing cricket once it becomes the country's main sport. That's how it usually works with these things.
Zero percent chance that Cricket overtakes football by this late. As mentioned, Israel qualified for the 1970 World Cup, were a dominant force in the early AFC cups and almost qualified in 1958.

Also basketball. The modern day Golden State Warriors began their life as the South Philadelphia Young Men's Hebrew Association.

Zero percent chance that Cricket overtakes football by this late. As mentioned, Israel qualified for the 1970 World Cup, were a dominant force in the early AFC cups and almost qualified in 1958.

Also basketball. The modern day Golden State Warriors began their life as the South Philadelphia Young Men's Hebrew Association.

Agree to differ.

To get an invitation to the inaugural World Cup in 1975 they'll obviously need to be playing the game much earlier than the 1970s. I never said they wouldn't be.

This doesn't necessarily need to butterfly (in your opinion) Israel's early footballing success of the 1960s or their qualification for the 1970 FIFA World Cup. They'll simply be playing cricket alongside these other sports.

But come the 70s and Israel never qualifies for another World Cup ever again, nor a European Championship, nor wins anything at club level, and alongside this you have an Israeli cricket team that qualifies for every single World Cup, hosts the tournament and possibly even wins the whole thing by the 1990s what do you think will happen?

Last edited:
Agree to differ.

To get an invitation to the inaugural World Cup in 1975 they'll obviously need to be playing the game much earlier than the 1970s. I never said they wouldn't be.

This doesn't necessarily need to butterfly (in your opinion) Israel's early footballing success of the 1960s or their qualification for the 1970 FIFA World Cup. They'll simply be playing cricket alongside these other sports.

But come the 70s and Israel never qualifies for another World Cup ever again, nor a European Championship, nor wins anything at club level, and alongside this you have an Israeli cricket team that qualifies for every single World Cup, hosts the tournament and possibly even wins the whole thing by the 1990s what do you think will happen?
This is feeling a bit circular.

Why do Israelis start playing cricket? Because its popular

Why is it popular? Because the national team does well

Why does the team do well? Because lots of people play

Why do they play? Because its popular.

How does this start? Why do Israelis begin playing cricket in this timeline, why do they have success? Why are they invited in 1975 instead of, say, Ireland or Canada?

How does this start? Why do Israelis begin playing cricket in this timeline, why do they have success? Why are they invited in 1975 instead of, say, Ireland or Canada?

Good comment.

I expect they’ll never be a first rate team, playing Tests and the like, in terms of quality.

Further, sport is a business. Not a lot of money in playing against Israel. Not going to fill the MCG on Boxing Day.

You need a Mandate of Palestine sports PoD to make Cricket popular in the region that would eventually become Palestine & Israel. Other countries, Like Canada, Netherlands, Denmark, Nepal, Malaysia, Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Kenya, Nigeria, Argentina had much more on the ground popularity and base to become powerful cricketing nations on their own right today like the Big10 rather than Israel.

Last edited:
For fucks sake I'm talking about an ATL scenario not OTL (eye roll)!

Doesn't matter why and how that initial spark is ignited but let's say it is after all OTL cricket WAS played in Israel as early as the 1970s. Using your logic this shouldn't even happened in OTL because "Jews don't play cricket."

Not interested in arguing why/why not it would happen I want to know how the ICC would cope if it DOES happen

Never mind!

Last edited:

No-one suddenly starts playing a sport "because its popular."
Its an ATL scenario there are all manner of things that can happen to light that initial spark. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to understand that without me having to draw you a diagram listing all possibilities.

Obviously if Israel is present at every cricket World Cup and other sports go the way of OTL what do you think will happen? You avoided answering that question, let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
I've seen it happen on various WI threads and I really hate this aspect about the forum. Rather than answering the question the OP poses ppl turn it into some type of AHC and obsess over why something wouldn't happen.

One sport becomes popular over another in a given geographic region or country due to a combination of circumstances (sometimes these are totally chance and random factors).

In terms of OPs scenario Israel has a varied population to draw on much more so than other nations in the same period. IMHO I don't think it requires a flight of fantasy to assume cricket can be played by a certain section of the Israeli population and if they're good at it, then to branch out to other parts of the population.

To answer OP's question:
Let's say ATL happens. I don't think either will get suspended. I believe a sort of mutual agreement would be reached and both nations will continue playing each other without the countries necessarily needing to recognize each other politically. What WON'T HAPPEN is Israel touring Pakistan or vice versa, nor playing each other in one day matches, they'll just meet at World Cups, possibly playing these matches in empty stadiums to avoid crowd trouble. This is what happened to our football teams during Euro 2020 warm-up games and also Legia Warsaw a few years ago.

Let's say ATL happens. I don't think either will get suspended. I believe a sort of mutual agreement would be reached and both nations will continue playing each other without the countries necessarily needing to recognize each other politically. What WON'T HAPPEN is Israel touring Pakistan or vice versa, nor playing each other in one day matches, they'll just meet at World Cups, possibly playing these matches in empty stadiums to avoid crowd trouble. This is what happened to our football teams during Euro 2020 warm-up games and also Legia Warsaw a few years ago.
Games between Pakistan and Israel would probably happen in neutral grounds like UAE and World Cups for Ind and Pak IOTL. However, if Pakistan or Israel either host Cricketing world cups, then there can be problems regarding security. Pakistan IOTL nearly forfeited the 2011 World Cup by not going to India before deciding to go 2 weeks prior after BCCI and the Indian government gave heavy guarantees of security.

A thought that falls between the "early" and "late" options:
Most Rhodesian cricketers made their way to South Africa after the civil war that resulted in for birth of Zimbabwe. What if a number of them went to Israel instead?
You have a core of decent cricketers and coaching staff and the game grows in two speeds - Internationally with a mostly former Rhodesian, and later, South African team and at the grass roots with players inspired by their new "Israeli" players?

Well, I dont know that much about Pakistan. But I would imagine it would take some monumental PODs to make cricket less popular.

Presumably from India and South Africa/former Rhodesia at first. There was a decent Jewish migration from the Subcontinent, and most Southern African Jews fall into the general English South African milleu.

Games between Pakistan and Israel would probably happen in neutral grounds like UAE and World Cups for Ind and Pak IOTL. However, if Pakistan or Israel either host Cricketing world cups, then there can be problems regarding security. Pakistan IOTL nearly forfeited the 2011 World Cup by not going to India before deciding to go 2 weeks prior after BCCI and the Indian government gave heavy guarantees of security.

Yep. I imagine cricket World Cups in Israel or Pakistan will become a major hot potato for the ICC. If either one keeps boycotting the other due to security concerns/political grounds, it massively disrupts such tournaments and at worse devalues them.

Israel travelling to a subcontinental World Cup wouldn't be a problem, the ICC could just locate Israel's games in India, and even if the final's in Pakistan, it would get changed to Delhi or something (or wherever the main cricket ground is located in India).

In all honesty I don't think an early Israel entry to cricket would be a problem, the rest would just adapt as that's what usually happens. However a late Israel entry in the 2000s could cause many more problems IMHO when countries like Afghanistan, Bangladesh also start entering the fray.

Last edited:

The same way in did in the sub-continent. It was an elite sport in 1947. But the small cadre who followd it loved it and when the national teams started having success, it grew more popular.
Have some Upper class British Jews move to Israel (maybe as an alternate to the Carribean). They form teams, Israel wins some big games and voila.
The ICC runs cricket mot the commonwealth.