WI: Iraq invades Saudi Arabia?

What if Iraqi troops crossed into Saudi Arabia soon after the fall of Kuwait? Obviously they probably wouldn'tve taken all of Saudi Arabia im not thinking that, im just wondering how far they could get before they all die in the desert or get their asses tanned by American intervention? What effect would this have on Iraq/Saudi Arabia? the Middle East?

The Iraqi's had insufficient logistics to operate large forces outside of their borders for any prolonged period. They would just run out of steam and leave a lot of armour behind them as they move South.

The Coalition would also be more likely to start air-ops by hitting bridges inside Iraq compounding their logistics problems further. Plus you have no idea of what the Israeli's might do if they think Saddam is going to wind up that close to their borders.

What if Iraqi troops crossed into Saudi Arabia soon after the fall of Kuwait? Obviously they probably wouldn'tve taken all of Saudi Arabia im not thinking that, im just wondering how far they could get before they all die in the desert or get their asses tanned by American intervention? What effect would this have on Iraq/Saudi Arabia? the Middle East?

They would've almost certainly prioritized seizing the Gulf coast area with its oil resources and export terminals. Unable to put up much resistance, and with foreign help not available at first, the KSA ruling elite would've fled and Iraq might also have been able to take Riyahd with a small force.
The coalition would've been able to pour in troops via Jeddah and maybe elsewhere but a serious problem would've been the feasibility of sanctions/intervention if they meant taking saudi as well as Iraqi and Kuwaiti oil off the market.

Last edited:
The Iraqi's had insufficient logistics to operate large forces outside of their borders for any prolonged period.
They sent big forces into Iran against much tougher resistance.

The Coalition would also be more likely to start air-ops by hitting bridges inside Iraq compounding their logistics problems further.

But in OTL it took a while to localize enough airpower to have air superiority--doubt it would be enough to save KSA or its oil area.

Plus you have no idea of what the Israeli's might do if they think Saddam is going to wind up that close to their borders.

Dunno if it would really make much difference even if Iraq took the area around Tabuk. Big Iraqi expeditionary forces went to Syria to fight Israel in '73; a common border isn't necessary for confrontation. Also in OTL, to keep the arabs on board with the coalition, the US made Israel stay out--to the point where they couldn't even retaliate for SCUD attacks.

They would've almost certainly prioritized seizing the Gulf coast area with its oil resources and export terminals. Unable to put up much resistance, and with foreign help not available at first, the KSA ruling elite would've fled and Iraq might also have been able to take Riyahd with a small force.
The coalition would've been able to pour in troops via Jeddah and maybe elsewhere but a serious problem would've been the feasibility of sanctions/intervention if they meant taking saudi as well as Iraqi and Kuwaiti oil off the market.
Also worth noting the Saudi Gulf region has pretty restless minorities, being majority Shia and heavily oppressed especially post Iranian revolution - though that doesn't mean they are particularly pro-Iraq.

iraqis should have just continued past kuwait into the eastern provinces while they had the momentum

if its just KSA vs Iraq how will this likely to turn out ? maybe UAE qatar Bahrain help KSA

iraqis should have just continued past kuwait into the eastern provinces while they had the momentum

Right. Saddam probably thought the West could live with the taking of little Kuwait and might intervene only if Iraq marched on KSA. That was naive; the truth in fact may have been the opposite. If Iraq was determined to hold Kuwait, come what may, it should've tried to seize enough of the world's oil output to make any opposition problematic.

if its just KSA vs Iraq how will this likely to turn out ? maybe UAE qatar Bahrain help KSA

I don't think they'd be of any great help.

nbcman

Donor
It would quickly involve US forces as the first US forces were heading Saudi Arabia by 8 August 1990 primarily to protect airbases. The ready brigade of 82nd Airborne would have been there within 48 hours.

Obviously these forces were not enough to stand up to an advancing Iraqi corps but they were a gut check force to see if the Iraqis were going to escalate the war.

But assuming saudis do fight they have clear superiority in the air with 60 F15C
Are the pilots trained well enough as of 1991? Iraq has several dozen pilots with combat experience from the Iran-Iraq war and a SAM network extensive enough to be a major treat to every local power except Israel.

Are the pilots trained well enough as of 1991? Iraq has several dozen pilots with combat experience from the Iran-Iraq war and a SAM network extensive enough to be a major treat to every local power except Israel.
A lot of Iraq pilots were trained in the UK.
Why would Iraq invade Saudi Arabia on a large scale?

Last edited:
It would quickly involve US forces as the first US forces were heading Saudi Arabia by 8 August 1990 primarily to protect airbases. The ready brigade of 82nd Airborne would have been there within 48 hours.

Obviously these forces were not enough to stand up to an advancing Iraqi corps but they were a gut check force to see if the Iraqis were going to escalate the war.
I guess the invasion depends on the hearts of heart thing.

If Iraq sweeps in and the Saudis fold before the 82 come and the royal family is already, maybe some sell out or dead then things get awkward.

While I doubt Iraq would shot first I also doubt the airborne would feel bold about fighting something already lost, then again it depends on their commander.

Granted I'm not saying they would do nothing, the UAE, Bahrain, ect would very much like a wiretrap of US troops if Saudi Arabia does fall quickly.

So they could be redeployed.

They sent big forces into Iran against much tougher resistance.

But in OTL it took a while to localize enough airpower to have air superiority--doubt it would be enough to save KSA or its oil area.

Dunno if it would really make much difference even if Iraq took the area around Tabuk. Big Iraqi expeditionary forces went to Syria to fight Israel in '73; a common border isn't necessary for confrontation. Also in OTL, to keep the arabs on board with the coalition, the US made Israel stay out--to the point where they couldn't even retaliate for SCUD attacks.
The Iraqi's were operating relatively near their border and bases during the Iran/Iraq war, gradually building up a logistics structure in what was a WW1 type battlefield is one thing. Charging deep into Saudi Arabia in what would have been a Blitzkrieg campaign over limited road nets over a considerable distance whilst being attacked by at least the Saudi airforce and likely USN carriers and USAF attacks is quite another.

Before GW1 the Iraqi's were sending Mig25 on long range Recce missions, the Isreali's were really unhappy about that.

nbcman

Donor
I guess the invasion depends on the hearts of heart thing.

If Iraq sweeps in and the Saudis fold before the 82 come and the royal family is already, maybe some sell out or dead then things get awkward.

While I doubt Iraq would shot first I also doubt the airborne would feel bold about fighting something already lost, then again it depends on their commander.

Granted I'm not saying they would do nothing, the UAE, Bahrain, ect would very much like a wiretrap of US troops if Saudi Arabia does fall quickly.

So they could be redeployed.
I'd expect that the first fight would be approaching KKMC whether or not the US forces got there in time. But the Saudis wouldn't fold that fast and there's a lot of desert between the Kuwait border and Riyadh. The Iraqis couldn't get that far.

I'd expect that the first fight would be approaching KKMC whether or not the US forces got there in time. But the Saudis wouldn't fold that fast and there's a lot of desert between the Kuwait border and Riyadh. The Iraqis couldn't get that far.
That is a valid point, basically unless their is Mosul grade disaster for the Saudis then Iraq can't take enough ground for the US to instead of trying to save a sinking ship they leave to ie the UAE.

In which case Saddam, well maybe he can barging better now the Saudi oil threatened? Obviously he will likely be sanctioned to death after but a large portion of the world's oil supply is currently at risk in this AU.

Though here I can honestly see the Saudis demand Iraq loss territory and would likely retreat into their religion in way that would make the OTL look irreligious by comparison and try to become a far greater military power, likely won't have the Yemen war in the 2000s take place like it did and escalate widely.

The Iraqi's were operating relatively near their border and bases during the Iran/Iraq war, gradually building up a logistics structure in what was a WW1 type battlefield is one thing. Charging deep into Saudi Arabia in what would have been a Blitzkrieg campaign over limited road nets

In Iran advances took place over a broad front; the Iraqis basically only had to overrun the eastern gulf shore of KSA and (given the marvelous strength of KSA) they didn't need a very big force to do it.

over a considerable distance whilst being attacked by at least the Saudi airforce and likely USN carriers and USAF attacks is quite another.

The Saudi airforce seemed rather formidable on paper but to my knowledge its role in the '91 war was limited at best. As for US attacks, I recall someone at the time said they would have "only a one in four chance" of stopping the Iraqis, right after Kuwait was taken. If the Iraqis moved fast enough they could've taken a lot before the US could even localize forces.

I don't think they played much of a role; Pollack noted one downed two Iraqi Mirages but only with guidance from US forces and after he nearly panicked.
I read that too
But they did shoot down an Iranian F4
Big question is how will they handle continued air operations and massed air assaults as Iraqis do have numbers on their side

and how good they are at interdicting Iraqi ground forces and navy