WI: If Joan of Arc lived for longer

Joan was becoming a major headache for Charles near the end, unwilling to recognize truces he negotiated and going on her own campaigns without his approval. A rogue Maid of Orléans is a highly dangerous thing for him, given the cult of personality that had grown up around her. Charles needed to get rid of Joan, and the sooner the better, so if she avoided capture at Compiègne or escaped Burgundians/English after her capture, then I strongly believe he'd have pushed her toward crusade in the east as a way to get her out of his hair. If not that, then he'd probably murder her at some point -- and, if he was as sloppy and obvious about it as he was his assassination of the duke of Burgundy, then holy hell, parts of France would probably explode in rebellion against him.
As @Whiteshore mentioned, Joan was planning to crusade against the Hussites afterwards, so it's an easy way for Charles to get her out of the way. If the Hussites kill her - which is highly likely, given their exceptional tactics for the time - all the better for him. If she's captured, he might be in a bit of a pickle if the Hussites demand a ransom from him.

On a side note, a story about Joan in Hussite captivity might be interesting.

Is Joan the sort of person who would take gifts and allow herself to grow rich?
I doubt it, though her family was probably far less saintly than her.

Last edited:
As @Whiteshore mentioned, Joan was planning to crusade against the Hussites afterwards, so it's an easy way for Charles to get her out of the way. If the Hussites kill her - which is highly likely, given their exceptional tactics for the time - all the better for him. If she's captured, he might be in a bit of a pickle if the Hussites demand a ransom from him.

On a side note, a story about Joan in Hussite captivity might be interesting.
And on a darker note, I also mentioned the idea Gilles de Rais ITTL becomes notable as a boogeyman which parents in Bohemia would use to scare their children.

Meh, I think this is one of those live long enough to see yourself become a villain sort've scenarios. I don't see her going quiet into retirement, especially if she sees even more success than she already did in her life time. Also, isnt it kind of believed that the French forces abandoned her to be captured? If so, she had already run afoul of people she would've needed to remain alive in peaceful retirement in France.

Last edited: