WI: Hitler Escaped

It's wildly improbable, but it does not require magic, alien intervention or a suspension of natural law. It's not ASB.

Sure, I will give you that wildly improbable. The only way I see it is Hitler has a complete mental break or is injured and basically gets carried by ultra loyalists out of Berlin.

the most interesting outcome is this, Hitler is dragged out of Berlin by a team of SS men, only to die shortly after, in a field or some woods or whatever, buried in an unmarked grave, or left to the animals, the SS guards are killed shortly latter, (or left Hitler raving and mad before his death) Hitler's body is never found and he becomes like Martin Bormann, fate unknown for years with a hunt for him by the USSR, Israel, USA and both Germanies going on for years, likely a trail at Nuremberg in absentia

No one, and he wouldn't!

Getting out of Europe would be a miracle for him if he lived that long and was able to actually get to a boat or an airport that would take him. I think he flees to somewhere like Spain or Austria, spending whatever time he has left in solitude as he slowly loses his mind.

But no, he wouldn't go to Israel.

Getting out of Europe would be a miracle for him if he lived that long and was able to actually get to a boat or an airport that would take him. I think he flees to somewhere like Spain or Austria, spending whatever time he has left in solitude as he slowly loses his mind.

But no, he wouldn't go to Israel.

Spain wouldn't let him in knowingly, and would never let him stay if they found him out. Austria would be overrun - no safety there. The only place I can imagine him being allowed to enter, and it would take a bona fide miracle for him to get there, was Imperial Japan. And after August 1945 he's screwed anyways, if he's still alive.

Look Hitler getting knocked out in a bombing and being flown out of German by his loyalists I see as possible. Hitler deciding that that he will flee to South America and try to live in hiding I don't see it. You would have to change his personality and mindset.

This could work. Take the Thomas Gage example. If he takes a blow to the head, one could argue it wonks his mind just enough to strengthen his desire for self-preservation. Maybe he gets the idea to fight from exile.

What could be interesting and perhaps slightly less ASB is a pregnant Eva Braun being whisked away.
All sorts of WIs and interesting stuff there, not as simple as a Hitler escaping=he is arrested and executed for being the most evilest man evaaa.

I wonder... would the potential child of Eva and Adolf end up being taken in by that nephew who immigrated to the United States (his family currently lives under another name, connection to Hitler generally unknown to the public. (Wonder if the family is aware!)

What if, instead of killing himself, Hitler did seek to, and did manage to escape from Germany?
Broadly speaking, I can't see Hitler remaining in Europe for long. After the war ended, there was a great deal of uncertainty over his actual fate. A lot of energy/time got expended in following up leads that he was there there and everywhere just to be sure.

Based upon other high-ranking nazi leaders, if he made it into Argentina or Chile or somewhere like that...he might have had a chance to live out whatever was left of his life so long as he kept a very, very low profile. I'm thinking he'd have to be living on a ranch way out in the boondocks and never come out of the basement except at night sort of thing. Give his ego...I'm not sure that would have been possible. If he accepted his total defeat and slunk away to die....he is basically "non interesting" as a character after that point. He is effectively dead and just hasn't stopped breathing yet.

Forget what Israel might have attempted...if the Russians knew he was alive....they would tear down mountains to get at him. Stalin would have spent a lot to get Hitler into a cage under his control....if for no other reason than to make sure he couldn't do any further damage to what Stalin wanted to do with the USSR.

Basically, if Hitler disappears entirely....it is no different than what really happened. There was a lot of uncertainty about the truthfulness of those who reported his demise in the bunker....it really only became accepted - I think - when absolutely nothing concrete ever was heard from him again. If Hitler got away and didn't acknowledge that he had to be dead...if his ego lead him to send some manifesto to the outside world....I think his life-span is measured in months or a couple of years. Ferocious pressure will be brought to bear on any country harboring him...and there are players (Israel, Russia to name two) who would want him bad enough that legal obstructions by the host country wouldn't be much more than an excuse to unleash paramilitary resources to simply kill him in place or effect a capture and extraction by whatever means necessary.

Tim

And after August 1945 he's screwed anyways, if he's still alive.

Remember that there were Japanese holdouts until the seventies. I doubt the Japanese would welcome him though, the Germans were denounced as traitors and interned after May 8th. The Japanese using Hitler as a bargaining chip in negotiations might have been interesting though.

Imperial Hitler

Maybe it needs ASB, but what if the Japanese were able to transfer Hitler (and possibly a pregnant Eva) off to Tokyo? Hitler did have more drive, more fire than the silent Hirohito, the military may have wanted more inspiration than they had been getting. Hitler had been demanding every man, woman, child lay down their lives for his mad dreams, and the Japanese had been schooled to do just that.
I still think this has teeth.:mad::cool:

There was a book with a similiar theme to this.

"The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood. ISBN 0-440-202116.

Made for some interesting reading although it's totally ASB.

Sure, I will give you that wildly improbable. The only way I see it is Hitler has a complete mental break or is injured and basically gets carried by ultra loyalists out of Berlin.

This could be interesting. Suppose that, much earlier than in OTL, he tries to shoot himself and fails. His arm twitches and he miraculously survives. He experiences a near-death hallucination that, combined with the stress of work and his already drug-addled state, causes him to mentally break. Withdrawal symptoms from whatever the heck he was on in the following days makes it worse.

His party smuggles him out of Germany to live on as a symbol of the continuation of the Nazi party, but they have to keep him away from anyone not in the inner circle because, between his semi-healed scars and his unintelligible babbling and sobbing (wow, I'm enjoying wrecking Hitler too much :p), the entire surviving party would collapse if they found out that the Führer had allowed himself to fall to such a state.

Due to the scars, disguises, and his increasingly disheveled appearance, allied checkpoints fail to identify him, partly due to the assumption among Allies and Nazis alike that he is still in his Führerbunker. His inner circle manages to get an emergency medical passport for him, sending him to Allied-occupied Italy. Knowing that the war is a hopeless cause, they instead plan to start and fund various neo-nazi groups around the world in the hope that the NSDAP can rise from the ashes in some other countries. They decide to send Hitler to Brazil in secret for safe keeping, then concentrate on fostering anti-Allied sentiment in Germany, Austria, Sweden, and other Germanic-speaking countries, with little success. Eventually, they turn to South American fascism.

Hitler regains his mental faculties on his way to Brazil, but is under constant supervision by his party members. Repeated pleas to allow him to die go unanswered; they need him as a symbol. They tell him about their plan to make South America their base from which the the third Reich can rise from the ashes. Hitler is crushed and humiliated.

Hitler gains a great deal of weight as his amphetamine-withdrawal-fueled appetite rears its ugly head. His Parkinson's gets worse, but he manages to make some voice recordings for future use. He dies in 1952, in a heavily guarded villa in Brazil, heavily overweight, his face scarred, having been bedridden for over a year due to late-stage Parkinson's, treated like a mental patient by his own party. Unable to hold a pen, he has dictated his memoirs, but gone is the fire and conviction that once marked his words. All that remains is a sad, pitiful, and increasingly mentally ill man.

Massively improbable, but pretty entertaining to think about.

Maybe it needs ASB, but what if the Japanese were able to transfer Hitler (and possibly a pregnant Eva) off to Tokyo? Hitler did have more drive, more fire than the silent Hirohito, the military may have wanted more inspiration than they had been getting. Hitler had been demanding every man, woman, child lay down their lives for his mad dreams, and the Japanese had been schooled to do just that.
I still think this has teeth.:mad::cool:

Then they send him to Hiroshima were it is safe. Karma is a bitch!:D