WI: Hindenburg Orders the Kaiser's Restoration on his deathbed?

kaiser_wilhelm_ii.jpg

What would be the consequences for the Weimar Republic if President Hindenburg called for the restoration of the Kaiser as the Head of State (while simultaneously renouncing and abolishing the presidency) on the eve of his death in 1934?

And I'm not just talking about a line item in his last will and testament but a major decree to have it done as a last 'f you' to Hitler.

What wouldve been the political fallout?

Last edited:
ASB because the Field Marshall by all accounts had been quite senile for some time, which is how Hitler got appointed Chancellor in the first place.

What would be the consequences for the Weimar Republic if President Hindenburg called for the restoration of the Kaiser as the Head of State (while simultaneously renouncing and abolishing the presidency) on the eve of his death in 1934?

And I'm not just talking about a line item in his last will and testament but a major decree to have it done as a last 'f you' to Hitler.

What wouldve been the political fallout?
Right, and how is he going to manage that? Suppose he writes up this 'major decree'; getting it published would be ... interesting, given that anyone involved would realize how Hitler would react, and the possible consequences.

Also, this is VERY unlike Hindenburg. Had he had a spine, he wouldn't have appointed Hitler as Chancellor.

In addition, he can't just 'write up a major decree'. He's got to think about it, talk it over with some friends, write up a couple of drafts, and then get the thing typed. At any of these stages, word might leak, and I suspect that the most probable result is 'Our beloved President Hindenburg died peacefully in his sleep last night' before any decree is published. (I'd guess a 2/3 chance of it happening before it got out of the typist's hands).