Basically, what if Hillary Rodham had met George W Bush while she was campaigning for Rockefeller and they hit it off and started dating before eventually marrying. In this scenario, she moves down to Texas instead of Arkansas. How would a Hillary Rodham - George W Bush marriage impact their political destinies?

Chapman

Donor
Almost guarantees a Republican Hillary, for starters. It's possible that she'd still become a Democrat, but being in the orbit of such a prominent Republican family I'd bet she doesn't make the switch. I think things, on the whole, would go basically the same as IOTL. George W. still runs for President eventually, Hillary's still First Lady. The only interesting change I see, other than her party affiliation, is where she gains electoral prominence from. Seems unlikely she'd go from Texas to New York for a Senate run, so maybe she stays there. I don't think she'd be as conservative as George, but still more so than IOTL. Who knows, maybe we get Bush-Trump in 2016?

I don't know...Hillary just doesn't seem like the kind of woman who would fall for Dubya. I believe one reason she was attracted to Bill was his intelligence, not exactly something that Bush is known for. (Understatement of the century - check. One more thing off my bucket list). But hey, stranger things have happened. If this scenario were to come about, Hillary stays a Rocky Republican at least for a while but by the end of the Reagan era she is going to find herself generally out of step with her own party. However I would imagine that she'd fit in very well with HW's "kinder, gentler nation" wing of the GOP. Perhaps she would be a key influence on her husband, and do her utmost to see that he lives up to his mantra of "compassionate conservatism." She definitely runs for office, but who knows if she still runs for a Senate seat in 2000 or simply waits after 8 years as First Lady like in OTL. The Bush name does mean a lot in TX, but Dubya's popularity was the lowest since Truman and I think being First Lady would hurt and not help Hillary if she tries to run for something in 2008.

I don't know...Hillary just doesn't seem like the kind of woman who would fall for Dubya. I believe one reason she was attracted to Bill was his intelligence, not exactly something that Bush is known for. (Understatement of the century - check. One more thing off my bucket list). But hey, stranger things have happened. If this scenario were to come about, Hillary stays a Rocky Republican at least for a while but by the end of the Reagan era she is going to find herself generally out of step with her own party. However I would imagine that she'd fit in very well with HW's "kinder, gentler nation" wing of the GOP. Perhaps she would be a key influence on her husband, and do her utmost to see that he lives up to his mantra of "compassionate conservatism." She definitely runs for office, but who knows if she still runs for a Senate seat in 2000 or simply waits after 8 years as First Lady like in OTL. The Bush name does mean a lot in TX, but Dubya's popularity was the lowest since Truman and I think being First Lady would hurt and not help Hillary if she tries to run for something in 2008.

If Hillary wanted to run and Bush and 9/11 weren’t butterflied...

2002 would be the perfect opportunity for her to run for Senate in Texas. Phil Gramm decided to retire rather than run for re-election as incumbent republican. In OTL Cornyn won the primary and the general but here Hillary might have a chance to be swept to victory in post 9/11 furor

If Hillary wanted to run and Bush and 9/11 weren’t butterflied...

2002 would be the perfect opportunity for her to run for Senate in Texas. Phil Gramm decided to retire rather than run for re-election as incumbent republican. In OTL Cornyn won the primary and the general but here Hillary might have a chance to be swept to victory in post 9/11 furor

Awesome point you just made. Do you think Senator Bush would manage to hang onto her seat in 2008? TX was a very red state by 2008 but still, she is married to one of the most unpopular men in America. If reelected she definitely will draw up plans to run for President at some point, but this will definitely come into conflict with Jeb's White House hopes. The family would have to choose which member will take up the baton in 2016.

Might butterfly away Bill's career also if he doesn't find as accepting a partner. If his wife bailed in 92 during the campaign when he came.under fire he probably doesn't survive it.

If Bush 41 re-elected W might never run for governor or President. maybe he becomes baseball commissioner instead

Might butterfly away Bill's career also if he doesn't find as accepting a partner. If his wife bailed in 92 during the campaign when he came.under fire he probably doesn't survive it.

If Bush 41 re-elected W might never run for governor or President. maybe he becomes baseball commissioner instead

Maybe we end up with Biden elected in 92?

I remember that HRC played a big role in pursuading Bill not to run for President in 1988. Without her, he might run and lose to Dukakis. (I should mention that The Duke had a fantastic primary campaign, it wasn't until after the Convention that everything went downhill for him). In 1992, Clinton was actually doing badly in the primaries until he tied with Tsongas in NH and gained momentum from there. Had he run four years earlier against a stronger candidate, he might have lost the primary outright. He could make a come back in 1992, but if he doesn't then America could end up with a President Tsongas or - god forbid - Moonbeam.