WI: Hillary Clinton is hired by Ronald Reagan

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by kasumigenx, Jul 14, 2019.

1. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

What if Ronald Reagan hires HRC in his cabinet, would her husband still be president in 1992?

Hillary is a big fan of Reagan FYI.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Thomas Jefferson Well-Known Member

You'd need a POD before she meets Bill - maybe she stays a Goldwater Girl and runs for Congress in Illinois.

theev likes this.
  3. Amadeus Well-Known Member

Why would Reagan do this? At the time, HRC was the barely known former First Lady of Arkansas and a Democrat. In order for this to happen, not only would HRC have to continue being a Republican but she'd have to enter politics well before 1980.

theev and True Grit like this.
  4. Amadeus Well-Known Member

And without HRC to defend her husband during the Gennifer Flowers scandal, it's possible that Clinton decisively loses New Hampshire in 1992 and his campaign loses momentum from there.

5. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

Or Bill Clinton dies in the early 80s.

6. Amadeus Well-Known Member

But not only would HRC still be a Democrat, she's likely to go into politics herself. I just don't find the scenario realistic unless you completely change Clinton's life from 1968 onwards.

theev, kasumigenx and True Grit like this.
  7. Zheng He Well-Known Member

Opposing party members often serve on cabinets, in fact some presidents make it a point to have a few cabinet members from the other party (Clinton and SECDEF Cohen for example). However, HRC was not a particularly well known commodity at the time, as someone else said, she was the wife of a young governor of a small state. If Reagan wanted to hire a Democrat for his cabinet, he would hire somebody with a much higher profile.

kasumigenx likes this.
  8. Kerguelen Prime Specimen

It truly was a shocking day when the Governor of Arkansas divorced his wife to marry his true love, President Ronald Reagan.

9. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

That is a typo my dear.

10. Kerguelen Prime Specimen

Sorry, I just couldn't resist

11. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

I think HRC if her husband dies in the early 80s is more likely to serve HW Bush..

12. jpj1421 Hillary 2020 - ChAOs rEiGns

It would be rather too late as by that point Hillary Clinton would have already served a single term as First Lady of Arkansas, where she was often a political headache for being too liberal and feminist and outspoken while married to such an otherwise moderate and reasonable Governor.

kasumigenx likes this.
  13. Zheng He Well-Known Member

She'll have to do something to raise her profile though. I see her going to DC or New York to practice law and making connections so perhaps she does get noticed.

kasumigenx likes this.
  14. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

I think if HW or Reagan hires her, she would be the Mc Carthy parrot darling of the administration.

15. SlideAway Well-Known Member

:eyeroll:

V-J and theev like this.
  16. theev Suede-Denim Secret Police

FTFY

I'll echo everyone else and say that unless you change her life from 1968 on there's a very little chance of it happening.

17. Jackson Lennock Well-Known Member

Maybe after Watergate she gets a job in the White House Counsel's office. She works her way up regardless of administration. Reagan notices her and gives her a cabinet spot.

kasumigenx likes this.