WI: Higgins boat invented before WWI

Higgins boat made invasion of open beach possible, doing away with capturing ports. Any coast your navy controls, you can land troops and supplies. What if it was invented earlier and samples were purchased by all significant powers before WWI? Gallipoli probably succeeds I think, maybe the British can land in Holland, the Austro-Hungarians in Italy, the Germans in Estonia?

Deleted member 94680

Higgins? Bah! You want a Thornycroft Boat instead!

But seriously, the development of the Higgins boat seems difficult to move forward by 20 years to make it available before WWI.

A quick review on the history of the diesel engine makes me think that to generate 225 HP in engine used by Higgins would be difficult to achieve.

Since many readers are from USA, let me present this picture:

667451_poster_l.jpg

Constructed of renewable materias and using renewable bioenergy, this eco-friendly design has been used for centuries to land on beaches.

But anyway, while Higgins boat etc. were useful in landing men in the beaches, it was never landing men on the beaches which was hard, but vehicles, artillery and supplies. For that the various LCM's, LCT's, LST's etc. were critical.

Deleted member 94680

The idea of “landing troops on the beaches” would not make Gallipoli successful - well over one hundred thousand men were “landed” in one way or another, without a port being captured.

I think the OP needs to realise landing troops on beaches was entirely possible well before Higgins invented his boat.
67-F5-DD42-FC74-401-F-ABDD-D9-F6967-A9-D67.jpg

marathag

Banned
Constructed of renewable materias and using renewable bioenergy, this eco-friendly design has been used for centuries to land on beaches.
We can play this game all day.
I have semi-seriously proposed for decades now(since SHWI days) that Sea Lion would have been better to have planned on using Viking Longboats than the planned Barges dragged by tugboats.

I have semi-seriously proposed for decades now(since SHWI days) that Sea Lion would have been been better to have planned on using Viking Longboats than the planned Barges dragged by tugboats.
Perfectly teutonically acceptable.

If not a Higgins, how about a DUKW?

Was just watching a new report about a guy restoring a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar

He reckoned the seals were a big problem. I have heard DUKW etc had trouble getting ventilation to the engine which sounds like a similar problem. All up, with limited horsepower available back in the day, a watertight boat hull on a truck is a lot of weight to haul around.

I have seen references to specialized landing craft designed or built by the Chileans either during or after the War of the Pacific in 1880 due to the significant number of amphibious assaults conducted during that war. I have no clue what these boats looked like ir even if they were built.

It seems there's nothing new under the sun. This entirely accurate record from the 13th century proves it.

Let's see we have Robin Hood, the Lost Boys and D Day in one scene. Yep 100% accurate.

Last edited: