Assuming, as Will does above, that Hal makes it to 1435, two questions spring to mind:

1- Is Hal able to do what his successor's generals IOTL were unable to do- completely crush all French resistance south of the Loire? Considering what a sorry specimen Charles VII was pre- Joan of Arc- & what an accomplished warrior Hal was- I’d have to say the odds would definitely have been in his favor- though considering the respective sizes of the two belligerents, & the fact that
earlier England had won all the big battles but the French still managed to hold onto most of their kingdom, not a certainty.

2- This of course brings us to The Maid Of Orleans. Assuming ITTL she was still born & still heard voices telling her to save France, & assuming that despite Hal there still was a France to save, & that Charles had not been out-&-out slain(or that there was SOMEONE who all the loyal French recognized as King of France instead of Hal)-then Hal would have to deal with her. Now he was
of course an experienced, professional warrior. Joan was neither of these. Yet Talbot was also experienced & that didn’t stop troops under Joan from crushing his army @ Patay & taking Talbot prisoner. Plus in 1429 Hal would have been 43- & that was no spring chicken in the Middle Ages! I just have to throw up my hands here & say I just can’t say how a Hal vs. Joan battle would have
gone. Maybe- hint hint- someone could write a TL & address this question?

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
One problem I have is that it's not like the English generals who stayed in France after Henry were unimpressive. Why doesn't Henry also get bogged down in endless sieges and get stuck demanding more money from the English parliament?

With Henry V alive and well in late 1422, it's more or less obvious that he will try to be crowned as King of France ASAP. After that, his position as a "true" crowned ruler of france would be much stronger than his second position post ridicilously late coronation. But of course, rulling France as Henry II would be extremly difficult, even if Charles Valois will decide to escape. So it's pretty far from over. But still - I can see Henry V beign considered as a historicial monarch of France (unlike his son- completly ingored in any list of French monarchs) , and if he lives, he can have more sons.