WI Harrison Ford was in "All in the Family"?

Apparently, in the development process, Ford was offered the role of Mike Stivic, & turned it down. WI he'd accepted?

Would this have affected the success of "All in the Family"? (I have my doubts.)

It does seem likely this would bugger Ford's early film career pretty nicely, either through scheduling conflicts or typecasting. He seems unlikely to get "The Conversation" or "American Graffiti", & might not get "Bladerunner", either. Does it keep him from getting Indiana Jones?

OTOH, does this make him more visible for TV roles? Might he get, frex, "Magnum"? Or Rick Simon? :eek::eek: (Gerald McRaney as Indy?:eek::openedeyewink: )

Any other thoughts?

Assuming that IOTL he really burst onto the public consciousness via Star Wars, a debut on All In The Family would put his career on a much less populist and youth-oriented path. AITF was something aimed at people who were open to being entertained by the nightly news and appreciated in-law jokes: ie. middle-aged people.

So yeah. Even apart from scheduling conflicts, Michael Stivik isn't gonna be getting cast in the hottest youth properties of the late 70s/early 80s. I could somehow still see him making a good fit for The Mosquito Coast, though.

Do We Get to See this Scene?

Archie Bunker: Meathead! Come on out of there, Meatheaad! Meatheaad!

Mike: Right here, Archie. I've been waitin' for ya.

Archie: Have you now?

Mike: Didn't think I was gonna run, did ya?

Archie: Meathad, you disappoint me. Why haven't you paid me the Rent, and why did you have to lie to poor Gloria?

Mike: Look Archie, next time you wanna talk to me, come see me yourself. Don't send my wife.

Archie: Mikey, Mikey. If only you hadn't had to dump that shipment. I just can't make exceptions. Where would I be if every kid who smuggled for me dumped their shit at the first sign of a narc? It's not good business.

Mike: Look Archie, even I get busted sometimes. You think I had a choice? But I've got a nice, easy job now for Mr. Jefferson and I can pay you back, plus a little extra. I just need a little more time.

Archie: Mikey, my boy, you're the best. So, for an extra 20 bucks.

Mike: Fifteen, Archie. Don't push it.

Archie: Okay, fifteen. But if you disappoint me again, I'll make things so miserable for you, you won't be able to go near Queens again!

Mike: [dryly] Archie, you're a wonderful human being.

Apparently, in the development process, Ford was offered the role of Mike Stivic, & turned it down. WI he'd accepted?

Would this have affected the success of "All in the Family"? (I have my doubts.)

It does seem likely this would bugger Ford's early film career pretty nicely, either through scheduling conflicts or typecasting. He seems unlikely to get "The Conversation" or "American Graffiti", & might not get "Bladerunner", either. Does it keep him from getting Indiana Jones?

OTOH, does this make him more visible for TV roles? Might he get, frex, "Magnum"? Or Rick Simon? :eek::eek: (Gerald McRaney as Indy?:eek::openedeyewink: )

Any other thoughts?

I seriously doubt that Ford is cast as Han Solo or Indiana Jones. Instead of becoming one of the greatest action stars of all time, Ford is typecast as a comedic actor.

Not to ruin the possibility of a great timeline, but Harrison might sink All

Any other thoughts?
I'll go with Ford actually affecting the success of "All in the Family" considering it was the third pilot that finally got the show on the air. It's possible that without Rob Reiner the show just didn't have the exact chemistry and we wind up in a world with no Archie Bunker, George Jefferson, or J J Evans.

We also might not get director Rob Reiner.

But Han and Indy are largely unchanged.

I'll go with Ford actually affecting the success of "All in the Family" considering it was the third pilot that finally got the show on the air. It's possible that without Rob Reiner the show just didn't have the exact chemistry and we wind up in a world with no Archie Bunker, George Jefferson, or J J Evans.

We also might not get director Rob Reiner.
I'd never thought of the loss of Reiner as director. That's a fairly big deal.

I do think "AitF" would go to air anyhow. It might not have the same good ratings, but I have the feeling Archie would still create enough controversy to carry it. Would it go as long, or have the same high ratings? Maybe not (probably not). Would it still spawn "The Jeffersons" & "Maude"? IDK. Pretty good chance, no.

I take it you see the show either not making it, or ending sooner, as why Indy & Han are unchanged.
Amadeus said:
I seriously doubt that Ford is cast as Han Solo or Indiana Jones. Instead of becoming one of the greatest action stars of all time, Ford is typecast as a comedic actor.
That does seem reasonable...unless "AitF" doesn't last that long. (It's not unreasonable for it to go 13 & end, or 26 & end; "M*A*S*H" nearly did, thanks to low S.1 ratings.)

It does make me wonder, just a bit, if close contact with O'Connor affects Ford's acting ability at all. Or if working on TV makes him willing (eager?) to try directing, when he wasn't OTL (or if; IDK offhand if he's ever directed anything).