WI: Hannibal goes for Rome after Cannae

A few years ago, I bought a copy of B.H. Warmington's Carthage at a used book shop here in Jerusalem. I've always wondered what might've happened if Hannibal had gone straight to Rome, after his mercenaries routed the Roman legions at Cannae, and either tried to storm the city or lay siege to it.

Warmington says that Hannibal correctly understood that to crush Rome, Carthage had to beat the legions in Italy & that no amount of beating the legions in Spain, Gaul or Africa could substitute for this. So Hannibal gave Publius Cornelius Scipio the slip & crossed the Alps (forcing Rome to cancel its projected invasion of Africa) in late September 218 BCE. He beat the legions at the Trebia River in December & then went into winter quarters at Bologna. He issued proclamations to the Italians that he would restore to them the liberties that Rome had taken away; Warmington says that the winning over of Italian support was crucial to Hannibal's plans. In the spring of 217 BCE, Hannibal crushed the legions again at Lake Trasmiene. He campaigned in central Italy & spent the 217/216 BCE winter in Apulia. In August 216 BCE, he smashed the legions again at Cannae, where the Romans lost 25,000 killed & 10,000 captured. Sources report that at least one of his senior officers urged Hannibal to march on Rome immediately. Hannibal declined (Warmington says that he was correct given his failure to take any smaller towns) & the rest, as they say, is history. But let's suppose that Hannibal listened to this officer & led his army (mostly mercenaries) to the walls of Rome. He had no siege equipment & what remained of the once proud Carthaginian navy was in no position to bring him any. That would leave him two options: attempt to storm the city while the abject shock of Cannae was still painfully fresh or attempt to weaken in by starvation (with the option of attempting to storm it after hunger had begun to take its toll). Placing Rome under siege might have tempted/forced the divided Senate to recall Cnaeus Scipio (Pubius Cornelius's brother) & his two legions from Spain; Hannibal would have probably welcomed the chance to trounce two of Rome's few remaining veteran legions. Placing Rome under siege might also have persuaded more Italian tribes & cities to desert Rome & go over to Carthage, especially in light of the generous privileges that Hannibal was offering (which the Italians were hesitant to take up because they knew that if Carthage then lost, Rome would bust heads). Had Hannibal taken Rome, the Roman state would have been finished, Hannibal knew that Carthage & Rome were in a war of annihilation. Would we then have seen a Punic-speaking Carthaginian Empire in the western Mediterranean (and then northward into Gaul) instead of a Latin-speaking Roman one? Would a victorious Carthage have joined the then Hellenistic state system as another major power alongside Macedonia, Ptolemaic Egypt & the Seleucid kingdom, or tried to expand eastward? Please feel free to disscuss?

Duncan and I had a TL about the "Holy Republic of Tunis" going where this was the POD. Hannibal takes Rome by storm immediately after Cannae. However, it's an ugly fight and, impressed by the citizen-soldier/legionary system (which was able to play heck with his army even at this late date), Hannibal returns to Carthage and implements it there.

Roman hegemony in Italy is replaced by that of an alliance of city-states (the Italic Confederation) or something to that effect.

The end result is that the Celtic peoples of the north, rather than being conquered and Romanized as in OTL, are pushed down into Spain and Italy by the Germans and end up conquering everything.

Meanwhile, the Punic ruling caste of Carthage has become decadent and nasty and oppresses the native peoples of North Africa. This going on at the same time as the Celtic surge into southern Europe, which weakens Carthage a good bit, makes for an interesting scenario. Christianity spreads rapidly among the subject peoples and a Berber chief, Tacfrinas, persuaded to not kill himself after his son is conscripted and killed in Spain, wages a crusade that burns Carthage to the ground and sets up a "Christian Republic" in the new city of Tunis.

You might like to get hold of a recent history called "Hannibal's Dynasty" by Dexter Hoyos. He argues that Hannibal should, and could, have taken Rome, and that he had actually arranged to rendezvous with a Carthaginian naval squadron off the coast of Etruria somewhere. IIRC Hoyos argues that Rome could at least have been blockaded, with naval support, if not stormed. This is very much a minority view, but he makes quite an interesting case.

Hanibal had to rely on mercenaries. They were no good troops for a siege.

The newest book by John Maddox roberts deals with this. In it, Hanibal offers Rome to leave within 2 weeks with evrything they can carry or beeing ereased from earthes surface.
The romans leave and start a new "rome of the north". Their army is even better than in OTL, because they have to fight germanic tribes all the time.
200 years later a carthagian officer asks them for help against the egyptians. They send two legions, but manly to outspy the carthagian defense in order to retake rome. The second part will be out soon.

Alayta said:

Not really. Neither Hannibal's Africans nor his Spanish were really mercenaries, and they were certainly reliable veteran troops - after all, he'd dumped the ones who weren't before leaving Spain .

Away back in 1969 I attended a meeting of a committee to which I'd just been elected. I made what struck me as an interesting and unusual suggestion. I couldn't understand the glazed look, containing boredom, contempt, and mild irritation I got from one of the older committee members. I understood it better when every year some new member made the same suggestion. Just like Hannibal going for Rome after Cannae. Everytime someone says that Hannibal should have unleashed Maharbal's cavalry after Cannae, I scream, LOOK AT THE FUCKING MAP!

Prunes,

So Cannae is too far from Rome for the Carthaginian forces to be able to seize the city by storm before adequate defensive preparations can be done?

That puts a bloody great big dent in the "Holy Republic of Tunis" TL...

Faeelin

Banned
Alayta said:

So this must explain why they were so commonly used in Medieval Europe, which was bistling with castles.

Matt Quinn said:
Prunes,

So Cannae is too far from Rome for the Carthaginian forces to be able to seize the city by storm before adequate defensive preparations can be done?

That puts a bloody great big dent in the "Holy Republic of Tunis" TL...

It's called mountains. They suck when you want to move fast!

Matt- there's no bloody way Hannibal could have got a force of cavalry to Rome in time to have grabbbed the city by surprise.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a total surprise...all he needs to do is get the army there before there's significant fortification.

Of course, I think a force of cavalry won't do to take the city; he'd probably need a significant portion of his army to do it. That will take more time, and give the Romans more time to build up.

"It's called mountains. They suck when you want to move fast!"

Peter,

I guess that nixes the POD right then. Darn it, the Holy Republic of Tunis TL was so much fun to write...

Matt- Cannae is about 150 miles from Rome. And that's as the crow flies. Work out for yourself how long even a cavalry force would have taken to get to Rome considering the roads of 3d century Italy. And that's leaving out the problem of encountering scattered groups of Roman troops. Rome was already fortified- city walls. Two legions had been left to defend Rome when the consuls marched to confront Hannibal. According to Livy, after the battle Maharbal suggested that the cavalry be sent at once to Rome. If so, in five days Hannibal could be dining in the city. The Roman historian, politician, soldier, Asinius Pollio, one of Caesar's generals, sneered at Livy for his "Patavinitas", "Paduanity", by which he seems to have meant a combination of moral uplift and provincial lack of awareness how things really happened. This story has always struck me as an amazing example of "Patavinitas."