WI - Haile Selassie I, King of Israel!

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by twistedirregular, Dec 2, 2018.

1. twistedirregular Negus Negast

No, that's apart of the POD I have in mind - I was planning to have TTL's Haile Selassie born in northwestern Ethiopia (maybe in Gondar) where his father converted to Judaism. Then again, let me remind you that I am still flushing out this concept.

JSilvy likes this.
  2. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    I don't know if you have just write this (to long read everything).
    Negus Negesti of Ethiopia were considered of Salomonid blood, why Israel, to become more acceptable to other countries, could not submit in personal union with Ethiopia?

twistedirregular likes this.
  3. twistedirregular Negus Negast

If we're talking about post-WWII, why would Israel's leaders accept personal union with Ethiopia?

4. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

May be the POD is early, and prominent European jews search a personality that could rule over them (and, moreover, protect them).
    It's true that westerns didn't give a dam about other peoples... But...

JSilvy and twistedirregular like this.
  5. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Are you proposing a scenario where Ethiopia accepts Jews fleeing from European prosecution in the 20s and 30s, ending up with a pro-Ethiopia Zionist faction that advocates for an Ethiopian King?

JSilvy likes this.
  6. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Yes, why not.
    Ethiopia just had its number of jews, and accepting European jews mean also take European techs and knowledges.
    Then, after the war, supposing a better and richer Ethiopia, the Negus can become also king of Israel, in virtue of his Salomonid blood
    He still stay coptic christian, but in personal union, he could rule Palestine.

7. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Sounds interesting but I was thinking of having an Ethiopian Monarch actually rule Israel as a Kingdom.

JSilvy likes this.
  8. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

But Israel could be a kingdom, only ruled in personal union by the Negus, so you can have the kingdom of Israel without forcing a lot of butterflyes.

If you like a kingdom of Israel alone, you could always make the D.E.R.G coup happen and make Haile Salassie flyes to Jerusalem for saving himself.
    At that point, the next king could be convert himself to judahism.

P.s not so sure about my English sorry if i have made some mistakes

9. JSilvy Well-Known Member

Keep in mind though that any monarchy would have to be constitutional for any of this to work.

10. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Oh definitely but it would be interesting to see what an Absolutist Israeli-Ethiopian Monarch would look like.

JSilvy likes this.
  11. JSilvy Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind his name wouldn’t be Haile Selassie since that’s a Christian name. I imagine the last name he takes would either be ben-David (son of David) or ben-Shlomo (son of Solomon) to establish his legitimacy as ruler. As for first name, I imagine either something Yehudah (Judah) or Ari (Lion) or Ariel (Lion of God).

12. JSilvy Well-Known Member

Also another thought: if another Emperor ends up in power in Ethiopia, you may see a more liberal Ethiopian government which may avoid the Derg coup.

13. Ahab Well-Known Member

Ha? What the...? Are you guys realy disscusing this? This is sooooooo ASB on sooo many levels... the ONLY way for that to happen is that Ethiopia invades Israel and crown Heile Selassie by gun point. Even then he will last maybe a week after the ethiopian army leaves.... realy, there is NO other way.

SeaCambrian likes this.
  14. twistedirregular Negus Negast

I don't think its ASB with the right POD and TL being written.

Filo likes this.
  15. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Probably.

16. Ahab Well-Known Member

The right POD is ethiopian invasion and ethnic cleanising

17. JSilvy Well-Known Member

Not really. It wouldn't require an Ethiopian invasion. The idea isn't an Ethiopian colony, but an Israel with a Solomonic king as a monarch. As for the ethnic cleansing part, that wouldn't be a POD, that would just be part of the timeline (if it happens, since a Nakba event isn't necessarily a given in every Zionist ATL, although there's no reason in this timeline to assume things would change to the point where it wouldn't happen, so the Nakba likely still takes place).

While it's not a likely timeline, it is not hard to believe a POD that could drive an event like this would happen. Harry Turtledove wrote a timeline where Stalin becomes President of the US, and there are ATL's out there on this forum that do the same thing but with Hitler, Trotsky, and even Castro, so I don't think it's impossible, just improbable.

twistedirregular and Filo like this.
  18. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

But we are thinking of, at least HS, of a king of Christian origin on a jew throne.

19. JSilvy Well-Known Member

I assumed though at least for this that he would have to convert to Judaism first.

Ciniad, Filo and twistedirregular like this.
  20. twistedirregular Negus Negast

That was my intention.

Filo likes this.